Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage Prep

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Going with the outdoor 14-50

I'm not sure I know which USA connector is which, but if that is the socket into which you put the cable/plug that is in / comes with the car, then suggest considering a tethered cable on the wall (which I am guessing is the HPWC option) instead because of the hassle when it is raining, and having wet cables in the car, and also the "mess" of dealing with them.

I'm not sure I know which USA connector is which, but if that is the socket into which you put the cable/plug that is in / comes with the car, then suggest considering a tethered cable on the wall (which I am guessing is the HPWC option) instead because of the hassle when it is raining, and having wet cables in the car, and also the "mess" of dealing with them.

Yeah, that was the main thing that made me want to install the HPWC (fixed cabling, looks clean, not having to open the damn trunk every time I get home). I'll probably just do an outdoor, waterproof enclosure and pick up a second 14-50 cable to leave plugged in out there.

Or I'll do an HPWC next year.

Check the difference in length between your old vehicle and your new Model S. My old vehicle was about 13 inches shorter in length than the Model S, so I needed to move some items from the front wall of my garage to ensure the Model S would fit safely.

Reactions: JPUConn
The thing about the HPWC is it's very Tesla-specific. What if in the future we decide to get another electric that *gasp* isn't a Tesla? Or we move and new home owner *gasp* doesn't want a Tesla.

So even though HPWC looks nice, it may make more sense to get another 14-50 cable.

Just thinking/obsessing out loud here.

Or we move and new home owner *gasp* doesn't want a Tesla.

This is why I opted for the NEMA 14-50 outlet and might get a stand along NEMA 14-50 cable for my garage, as it prevents something being installed that future owners of the house might not have a need for. A NEMA 14-50 outlet is pretty general purpose and could potentially have use by alternative EVs in the future too.

The thing about the HPWC is it's very Tesla-specific. What if in the future we decide to get another electric that *gasp* isn't a Tesla? Or we move and new home owner *gasp* doesn't want a Tesla.

So even though HPWC looks nice, it may make more sense to get another 14-50 cable.

Just thinking/obsessing out loud here.

You could just wire with bigger gauge (3awg) so you could always switch. I'd probably take my wall-charger if I moved and convert the outlet into a NEMA 14-50. Just have to replace the breaker to 50a.

You can plug an hpwc into a Nema 14-50. The cords are at Home Depot next to the dryer cords and that way you have he best of both worlds. Just dial down the amperage to 40 on the hpwc
Only downside there is that if the J1772 goes out we're stuck with trickle charging for the other car. It may not matter with two vehicles available. Also as a side point I'm getting my Zero SR set up for J1772 so the Tesla really is the odd vehicle out.

Hey guys, so as I quite impatiently await my MS, I am already talking to an electrician about installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Which got me thinking, what other kinds of garage prep have you done or are planning on doing for your Tesla?

Looking for ideas of a more utilitarian nature - not really trying to make a showroom out of the garage.

Thanks.
As you can see, I have an unfinished, detached garage (3 bay) with open trusses and stud walls. So I started with a couple sheets of plywood to create a "surface" to work with. My electrician ran power (60 amp service is what I had coming to my garage, on the opposite side of the structure) through electrical conduit through the roof trusses to the wall. Then, he installed a sub-panel or breaker box. I decided to install a HPWC, but also have a NEMA 14-50 outlet installed in case the HPWC failed, or a friend came to visit with an RV. I also had an outlet installed for my MIG welder. I have no plans to weld there, but these receptacles are very inexpensive to add when you're already paying an electrician to run the power anyway. I would also suggest a 20 amp ground fault outlet, also very easy and cheap to install at this time. Each outlet is protected with it's own circuit breaker in the breaker box right there. Keep the 240 volt outlets turned off except when actually using them. No risk of children poking something in those big receptacles.
I bought the HPWC with the long cord although now they offer a version with a shorter cord for $50 cheaper, Not much difference from buying a separate charging cable for a NEMA 14-50, and much better IMO. I wanted the long cable in case somebody with a TESLA visited, so they could charge parked outside the garage. Just trying to think of all reasonable possibilities.
So, my recommendations are:
Consider a HPWC.
Install a NEMA 14-50 whether or not you're installing a HPWC.
Run wires for the HPWC, or at least run the conduit, so it would be easy to install the HPWC later when you decide that you really "shoulda."
Install the 20 amp 120 volt outlet as one more option for charging your car or anything else in the vicinity.
Good luck.
Jim

Attachments

• TESLAcharge.jpg
    TESLAcharge.jpg
    598.7 KB · Views: 97
Curious, I can't find any details on what kind of cable & how exactly to hook this up outside of changing the setting inside the HPWC. Any helpful tutorials/how to's for this?

I got this setup installed this past weekend (wall connector plugged into a 14-50). I agree the NEMA 14-50 is best since it's more standard, but I really wanted the convenience of the wall charger and not having to be taking the charger cable out of the car every day. There is a tutorial here: Tesla Wall Connector Installation. The tutorial lists everything you need (really just a Range Cord and a Clamp Connector, under $25).

While you still of course only charge at 40A and not at the maximum 80A that the wall connector is capable of, this setup still makes the connector easily portable in case of moving and makes charging much more convenient in my opinion, all for the same price as getting an additional mobile connector, not to mention it looks much nicer. Here is my install:

2016-08-08 20.27.08.jpg

I got this setup installed this past weekend (wall connector plugged into a 14-50). I agree the NEMA 14-50 is best since it's more standard, but I really wanted the convenience of the wall charger and not having to be taking the charger cable out of the car every day. There is a tutorial here: Tesla Wall Connector Installation. The tutorial lists everything you need (really just a Range Cord and a Clamp Connector, under $25).

While you still of course only charge at 40A and not at the maximum 80A that the wall connector is capable of, this setup still makes the connector easily portable in case of moving and makes charging much more convenient in my opinion, all for the same price as getting an additional mobile connector, not to mention it looks much nicer.

Thanks, as I only have have the chargers that work at 48A anyway... not much of a loss not having the max power of the connector. Definitely something to consider... only would consider this for the possibility of moving in the future.

Besides for the outlet, I also fashioned a large hook above the outlet to hang the UMC from while not in use. Keeps it nice and tidy and out of the way.

The Model S is very wide and has very long doors, particularly the rear. So I also cut notches in the garage wall sheetrock where the doors would hit, allows them to open another few inches which makes getting in and out easier. I padded the opening with some carpet too to protect the paint.

I also went with the HPWC. I feel like it's a bit cleaner look and maybe more stable since it doesn't need to be plugged and unplugged. Also, allows me to store the nema plug in my car for possible charging outside the house.

I've been thinking about redoing the shelving and cleaning up the floor with epoxy.

THIS! Except for the epoxy option. I went with RaceDeck flooring. In my opinion, it looks better. Installs in less than a half day and it's cheaper. Epoxy (when done right) is a 3 day process.

Hey guys, so as I quite impatiently await my MS, I am already talking to an electrician about installing the NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage. Which got me thinking, what other kinds of garage prep have you done or are planning on doing for your Tesla?

Looking for ideas of a more utilitarian nature - not really trying to make a showroom out of the garage.

Thanks.

I had an NEMA 14-50 installed when they built my house, but I also installed a HPWC (at 80 amps) shortly before taking possession of my MS.

What I've done after taking possession of my MS is add two metal Jack Daniels tins to the garage to give the AP radar larger targets to bounce off of. (The wall behind the garage is the kitchen fridge, which is a good two feet in from the wall of the garage -- the first time I pulled the MS into the garage, the radar told me I was 26 inches in, and when I parked I realized I had about 6 inches from the edge of the MS to the wall).

@mshuang that's an interesting point about putting up some targets for the AP. Which makes me wonder if certain materials or colors work better than others?

Side note: Started cleaning out my filthy garage in preparation for delivery. At least my obsession is now being channeled into something good.