Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Garage self-parking issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just had a test drive of a new 2017 Model X P100D.

As part of the test drive I asked the Tesla rep to demonstrate the self-parking feature on my own garage. It wasn't that smooth.

First of all it required being lined up very well. Without lining it up, it almost hit the wall (we had to stop it).

Second when it was lined up, it struggled with the threshold (there is a slight lip of maybe 8 mm when you enter the garage which is designed to prevent rain water coming into the garage). The Tesla would stop when the front wheels hit the lip. It would then require the sales guy to turn the car off and on again to restart the process. It cleared the lip after about 10 attempts. On this basis it would take about 5 minutes to park the car in the garage using the self park feature.

IS there a solution to this issue?

Yes. I back my car into my narrow garage and this is the deal:
1. Adjust your Autopark settings(I have mine set to "tight" side clearance)
2. When I first set this up it seemed the car took a few try's to "learn" my garage.
3. Use key fob and manually stop the car(especially important when backing up)

Note: you do want to line it up with the opening of your garage(it is not able to "find" your garage on its own ...yet)

Yes. I back my car into my narrow garage and this is the deal:
1. Adjust your Autopark settings(I have mine set to "tight" side clearance)
2. When I first set this up it seemed the car took a few try's to "learn" my garage.
3. Use key fob and manually stop the car(especially important when backing up)

Note: you do want to line it up with the opening of your garage(it is not able to "find" your garage on its own ...yet)

Thanks. This explains the issue with it learning the positioning. And need to set tight side clearance.

However what about the lip of the garage floor. You can see the lip in the photo below. Basically it would stop when both the front and rear wheels touched that lip. I think it thought it was a parking curb. It took multiple attempts on both front and rear wheels when they reached that lip. It wouldn't just roll over the lip.

C8F45AA6-B3FB-42CE-8A36-80186F9C4F9E.JPG

You could try a little angle on the entrance, so only one tire hits the lip first. Then with tight side clearance it would straighten out going in.

I have a lip also in my garage and street curb.... it has never been 100% happy, though going forward in has been the most forgiving.

That's normal as it doesn't want to run over stuff. When it get's hung up there just reactivate
summon and it will eventually figure out it's only a lip and not a small human. You might even back in manually a few times which could help with it's learning. It will work once it knows it can safely back up.

That's normal as it doesn't want to run over stuff. When it get's hung up there just reactivate
summon and it will eventually figure out it's only a lip and not a small human. You might even back in manually a few times which could help with it's learning. It will work once it knows it can safely back up.

Thanks. We were deactivating summon on the lip but it took over 10 attempts to get it to cross the lip.

Are you saying it will work better in reverse than forwards?

IMHO the self parking feature is a bust, nothing more than a parlor trick.
it rarely works for me and since I am a competent parker trying to use the auto park would be far more time consuming than me just parking the car.

I learned my lesson the hard way from this useless self park. I adjusted my car to stop 12 inch from the wall. So one time, I pulled the car out of my garage using summon to sweep the floor. Then I use summon to back up my car into the garage, same position. This stupid thing decided to stop 18 inches from the wall instead of 12.

My garage started to close which I also learned my garage sensor were too low and didn't detect the car. The garage door scrape my hood and my bumper, over $4000 damage.

I try summon for the first time since taking delivery in June. I lined up my car to the garage so it can just drive straight in and for the first 12 inches or so it was fine then it started to shift left and kept going and I got really scared and let go of the button (was using the app) and it stopped an inch before hitting the wall...I'm never using summon again!

Using summon to back out of the garage, it scraped the garage door trim as it decided to turn the wheel when it was almost all the way out. I thought it was going to do a minor adjustment, so figured I'll just wait and see. The car then accelerated quickly before I could manually stop it. I have refused to use summon since. Once it's out of beta or used the cameras, I'll trust it more.

Thanks for the feedback. Given this I think I will have to pass on the Model X. The clearance in my garage is tight. The garage itself is quite wide, it the doors are narrow. My wife would struggle to park this car manually. She isn't as skilled at precision maneuvers as I am.

Perhaps we will try the Model S. That's 5 inches narrower.

Has this feature improved in the past 2 years? I’m open to considering the X again, but the narrow garage entrance remains an issue.
I observe about same in past 2 years, but unlikely it has not improved.
Suggest you align straight into opening like you're pulling in, then summons it in with fob ready to cancel. Watch for front wheel corrections and speed adjustments, then that it stops at your adjusted distance to front object.

I have no problem doing it manually. But obviously the computer is less precise or doesn't have access to equivalent sensors like the mirrors.

I think I have a pretty tight garage. Agree it can be a little tense trying to squeeze the X into small opening, but with the mirrors folded (which it does automatically when I get home) it is not that big a problem.

Auto park stuff is still a ways out. I think it will improve but the fidelity of the sensors may be an impediment to the car sensing every little thing in a typical garage. I don't have to worry about someone else parking my car, and feel very comfortable pulling it in and out on my own manually.

If you are still liking the car, but concerned on hitting stuff, you could rig some markers to help position the car into the garage to minimize the chance of hitting or scraping anything. Sometimes it just takes practice, knowing where your car 'is' in relation to the environment. I recognize that learning curve is not for everyone.