Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gauging interest on "Redisigned Sun Visors"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this response from Tesla ownership experience today:

"To clarify, we have heard of this topic previously but at the current time we do not have plans in place to retrofit vehicles with a variation of the original visors. As previously noted, I will most certainly provide your request and feedback to the design team."

Sounds to me like they need to hear a lot more feedback from owners on this issue if they are going to do anything about it. Strongly suggest email the ownership experience folks at Tesla.

I feel like the visors/mirrors are the biggest fail on the car (which admittedly is a big a compliment to the car). More than a fail, they almost seem like a joke. The "mirrors" appear to actually be foil like a kids funhouse mirror. Anything would be an improvement and frankly, removing them and having nothing would be an improvement. No answer is better than a ridiculous answer. I'd be happy to buy any reasonable after market solution.

I feel like the visors/mirrors are the biggest fail on the car (which admittedly is a big a compliment to the car). More than a fail, they almost seem like a joke. The "mirrors" appear to actually be foil like a kids funhouse mirror. Anything would be an improvement and frankly, removing them and having nothing would be an improvement. No answer is better than a ridiculous answer. I'd be happy to buy any reasonable after market solution.

I dont know when you got your car, but I received mine in Feb. and my visor mirrors are high quality.

They have 'upgraded' the mirrors already. I have real glass mirrors on my visors, and got my car in January. And yes I have seen the 'funhouse' mirrors.

I believe once they made the transition from Production from Signature they got rid of the foil type "fun house" mirrors. Now the question is what would people be willing to pay for them? The investment in R&D would be quite substantial. The only way I can come up with to get them lit is with a small solar panel and li-ion battery with a few leds. Would have to be a quick/easy install utilizing the same mounting locations.

JC...Why does the VIN need to be so high? I believe mine are the same as the latest ones (Vin 3498). I'm grateful that I did not receive "funhouse" mirrors...I think all the sigs deserve a retrofit of the visors.
I want to inspect the latest (we can get) off the production line. If you've got good pictures of yours as well, that's interesting too.

I have found the Ownership Experience people to be very helpful. Typically the one who responds to my queries is Derek Shu [email protected].
Interestingly two or three of the people at the Denver Service Center worked previously at Mercedes Benz and tell me that they are delighted to be working at and with Tesla!

RNG

I want to inspect the latest (we can get) off the production line. If you've got good pictures of yours as well, that's interesting too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368818809.835763.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368818837.821767.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368818891.105077.jpg

Here ya go, bman!

I was ready to cancel our order when they first announced that there would be no lighted sun visors but after JB of Tesla promised that a redesign was coming on the forums we stayed with the order and got the car. Now it seems like that was just to mollify and dupe the people who were upset about the change. Anyway, I am all for an after market product. I believe there is wiring behind the liner to tap into for the lights but I am not sure.

The visors only need to be about a half or 3/4 inches lower to block sun for 99% of folks. Something I thought of was that if there was a piece inside a sleeve that could be pulled down that would work, then we wouldn't have to use binder clips and cardboard, and it would not be in the way when not in use.

Also, for me, If I raise the seat up, it cuts off my upper view out of the rear window. I have more visibility to the rear when the seat is lower. So optimizing the sun visor is optimizing rear as well as forward visibility.

I remember years and year ago seeing a visor extender. It was plastic and would clip on the visor and the extender would slide down another 2 inches (?) to shade the eyes of shorter-torso drivers.

Was it in JC Whitney? An old people's catalog?

I would love a redesigned sun visor. My problem is the length of the visor. I am 6'3" and there is a gap between the visor and the pillar where the sun shines through. My friend showed me a simple solution on his acura SUV where the whole visor slides over from the place where it is hinged. This solution seams more elegant than the sliding flap design that my toyota had.