TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

gearing change

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by twiersum, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. twiersum

twiersum Member

Has anyone looked into running a lower gear ratio in the transmission for racing?

2. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I remember seeing some sort of experimental differential for sale a few months back. Maybe that would provide the ratio you're looking for. A lower ratio would make the car faster, but not as quick. Is that the goal?

3. JHWJR

JHWJR Member

I'd be up for a re-gearing that would provide less acceleration and more range. :) There seems to be enough torque to go with a longer gear ratio...

4. jeremyz

jeremyz Member

I think that there were some cars that used the same Borg Warner gearbox as the Roadster but with a lower gear ratio. So, it might be possible to buy a different set of gears. Maybe EvWest would know about this?

http://www.evwest.com/support/borgwarneredrive.pdf

5. Roadster

Roadster Member

Here's the most recent post about the LSD being referenced. The original post from 2015 with addl. photos can be found here.

6. spaceballs

spaceballs Member

Gear change will not help that much for more range, i.e. the gains would be the motor efficiently delta in RPM.