Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 HPWC 48amps

HPWC issues?

• Have gen 3 HPWC - use daily at 48 amps - no issues.

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Have gen 3 HPWC - use daily at 48 amps - some issues.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Have gen 3 HPWC - use daily at 48 amps - constant issues.

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Have gen 3 HPWC - use daily at < 48 amps - no issues.

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Have gen 3 HPWC - use daily at < 48 amps - some issues.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Have gen 3 HPWC - use daily at < 48 amps - constant issues.

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been contemplating getting a HPWC for 2 years now, and frankly the posts here an on Reddit are terrible for the 3rd gen.

All I see is overheating, reduced charge rate, flashing red lights, Wi-Fi provisioning issues, bad batch that needs replaced, caused by firmware, etc...

How many people here use the gen 3 HPWC daily at 48 amps and have 0 issues?

Reactions: mswlogo
I had one installed and had early issues. But it turned out that I had not followed the installation procedures. I failed to notice that I had to "Commission" the wall connector. After I scheduled a mobile service. They called a day after I made the appointment and told me to connect my wall connector to wifi so it could be checked and updated. That night it charged all night at 48 amps and has continued to do so for the past month or so.

Reactions: E-curb and Petrlol
Still waiting patiently for a long-term fix since June 30...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201018-190252_TezLab.jpg
    Screenshot_20201018-190252_TezLab.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: Petrlol
I replaced a 5 yr old gen 1 having connector issues with a gen 3. No issues at all with a 50A circuit charging at 40A. This is in an extremely hot garage (often 105F) in Phoenix in summer. The cord is marginally warm, not hot. Though I did have the garage open one time and the sun was shining on the cord making is really hot. But still no problems charging. Had FW .58 from the factory. I believe it has upgraded since then, but I can't see as the upgrade broke the charger web page (see other thread on this).

I've been contemplating getting a HPWC for 2 years now, and frankly the posts here an on Reddit are terrible for the 3rd gen.

All I see is overheating, reduced charge rate, flashing red lights, Wi-Fi provisioning issues, bad batch that needs replaced, caused by firmware, etc...

How many people here use the gen 3 HPWC daily at 48 amps and have 0 issues?
I have 2 with no issues.

I have the Gen 3 HPWC, on a 60 amp circuit and have no issues, although I usually dial the charging speed down to far less than 48A because I rarely need to charge that fast. The only time I’ve charged at 48A was when I was driving around town a lot right before a long trip, but worked fine charging at 48A for well over an hour. Otherwise dial it down as to not stress the wiring unnecessarily. If charging at night 48A is kinda overkill.

I have two Gen 3’s. Each hooked up to a 50 amp breaker however if both were going at 40 amps it would be too much for my sub panel. So even though I currently have one Tesla out of an over abundance of caution I have one set to 24 amps and the other set to 16 amps.

Once WiFi balancing is enabled I’ll put both on 40 amps.

No issues.