Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 vs 2 vs mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at charging option for MX. wall charger gen 3 is still sold out on Tesla website. I found gen 2 Wall charger from a local person. So debating on what the best option is. I am new to Tesla. For charging option I am comparing putting in 240 volt outlet vs getting a wall charger. I am finding gen 2 charger isn’t that cheap yet either compared to gen 3. Any advise will be much appreciated.

The Gen2 is fine, arguably better then the the Gen3, since it can go to 80 amps and is not fraught with software issues. But that probably doesn't make much difference. I would think you could save a few $ depending on what you can negotiate. Stay away from the Gen. I have two of them set up as shared on a 60 amp circuit (and a third in the box). I rarely use my mobile connector, so it is always in the car.

Reactions: Fiver
My MX does not have 72 amp support. It is only capable of 48 amp.
How much would it be a good deal for Gen 2. Local guy is asking 450 which I think is too much given gen 3 is 500

Maybe, but you can’t get the gen 3 (probably due to the problems it has). The gen 2 was also 500 IIRC, so anything under that is not really unfair. Especially if it is new in the box. I think I paid 750 for my first gen 1. (Tesla swapped me a gen 2 for free, when the gen1 did not work w my X). If I needed it, I’d pay 450 for it, unless it is used. Yeah, I’d like to pay less, but you can get it today, and probably w no sales tax.

I got a gen 2 for my MX because the charging cable is 24’ . The 18’ on the gen 3 was too short for my setup. That is another difference to consider. The gen 2 works fine for me. If you can get it at a reduced price like $450, I think that is a good deal. At the time I bought mine, I had to pay over $500 to get one.

• Disagree
Reactions: pilotSteve
Don't discount the use of your Mobile Connector with a 240 volt source. With Wall or Mobile you will need a 240 Volt source. The Wall Connector will charge at a faster rate, however it may not matter to you if you charge overnight do you really care that it took six or eight hours for example? It will save you the price of the Wall Connector, but you will have your Mobile Connector somewhat "tied up"" and many like to keep their's at "the ready" in the Frunk. I see no issue with a Gen 2, and right now there are issues with Gen 3. Price is consistent with market value today, at least until Gen. 3 issues are resolved, and 24 ft cord is nice if needed.

My MX does not have 72 amp support. It is only capable of 48 amp.
How much would it be a good deal for Gen 2. Local guy is asking 450 which I think is too much given gen 3 is 500

$450 is kinda the going price. It's a nice unit - I prefer the Gen2 units. The Gen3 doesn't offer any real benefit and in fact has several issues right now; least of which is overheating.

I'd jump on that Gen2 unit for $450 if I were in your shoes.

friend of mine has 2019 X
he's trying to determine if it's
worth it to upgrade house wiring
for more amps at connector/

how many amps will a 2019 X take?
I own a model 3 and it shows, grey's
out what max amps are on screen (48a)
he reports that there is no max amps displayed
in his model X and questioning how to wire
his conncetor for home to gain most mph?

2019 max at 48a ..late in 2018 they switched from 72a to 48a..to get Max his panel needs to support another 60a breaker

thx!

my 3 has a selectable “max amps” (48a for perf 3)
does the X also display and allow owner to change,
lower the max amps for charging?

in my 3 it’s immediately below (grey’ out) the max
amps selected or that it seees when connected to
CMC (40a) or UMC (32a)