Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience:
New Gen 3 wall charger worked well for 7 weeks and then in mid September the blinking reds appeared after about 30 minutes of charging and charge rate dropped by 50% to 20 amps (have a 50 amp breaker). I started following this thread shortly thereafter and last week checked for my current firmware (0.8.58) and called Tesla (510) 249-2490 option 2. After a short wait the tech came on, asked for the last portion of my VIN as well as for the TPN and serial numbers for the wall charger. With those in hand he ran a test on the unit and concluded that the firmware update to 1.3.0 was in order and set up same with the request that I wait a couple of hours before using the unit. He also said that they would monitor the unit and let me know if I needed a replacement. No follow through on that point yet. After the two hours passed I turned off the breaker for a minute and then checked to see if the new firmware was in place. However, before I could do so I had to re-enter the original WPA2 (pin) number for the charger. Fortunately I still had the Quickstart Guide for the charger which shows the pin. The new firmware is in place and performance has improved but the issue is not resolved. My recent charging experience (4 sessions) results as before with the blinking reds after about 30 minutes. However the charge rate only drops by about 10% as it fluctuates between 34 and 37 amps vs 40 normally. The cable and plug are warm but not hot. So it seems that the firmware yields a better experience but that the hardware still harbors a defect. Interested to see if those of you with new WCs experience no blinking reds.

Just an FYI....I was having this problem and then I checked my connections at the connector. I found that one of the hot legs was not torqued properly. After properly torquing this bolt, the connector is properly charging at 48 amps with no errors.
Definitely something to check - I had the same problem, one of the hot wires was no longer tightened (I did not have any problems with charging though).

I'm getting the same three red blinking lights which started about a month ago. Spoke to the support team for the wall connector and the guy tried to tell me that is normal. Unfortunately for him the manual for the Gen3 claims this is a fault code.

Anyone have luck with a replacement unit? Mine was working fine for months charging @48 AMPS with 60 AMP breaker.

I'm getting the same three red blinking lights which started about a month ago. Spoke to the support team for the wall connector and the guy tried to tell me that is normal. Unfortunately for him the manual for the Gen3 claims this is a fault code.

Anyone have luck with a replacement unit? Mine was working fine for months charging @48 AMPS with 60 AMP breaker.
Most of those who have installed replacement units seem to be operating normally but I imagine we'll have to wait awhile to be sure. In the meantime my experience with the new firmware 1.3.0 has been an improvement in speed but is not a fix. (See my post from last week.) I imagine that only a replacement will resolve the 3 blinking reds fault code but want to be sure that others with new units are happy before demanding same.

If after the firmware update it is not fixed I would definitely ask for a replacement wall connector. I had the same issues as you after months of working correctly so they replaced it and has been working fine for about 6 weeks now

Hi All,
We own a model Y for close to one month with no charging issue up until last night (6/28). Gen 3 Wall Connector stopped charging due to overheating (3 red blinks) fault code exactly 30 minutes after initial charge in three separate occasions (at 12:30 AM, 8:20 AM, and 8:50 AM). No issue charging with regular mobile 110V plug. Called Tesla support and was told to contact electrician / installer to make sure that proper conduit and wiring were installed before calling charging support at 510-249-2490.

Electrician came and checked to make sure all connections were secured properly and called charging support, Was told that the new firmware would fix this issue. My old firmware was 0.8.4+g8984eea7a4b342 and the new firmware is 0.8.54+g46f395de1d5760. As per tesla's request, I waited for 2 hours after the firmware update before recharging the car. if this doesn't work, tesla is going to send mobile service to replace the charger. Will keep you posted.
Did it work? I had firmware update and it raised charging from 20 A to 33 A but not to at least 40A. They are not pushing a firmware without a complaint. That is not good. They know there is a problem but wouldn't automatically fix it but wait for a complaint.

Anyone seeing this (spinner with JS errors) when they hit the WC's web page from their WIFI network? It didn't used to do this. Perhaps a firmware update did it?

upload_2020-10-14_20-20-27.png

Just installed my replacement wall connector.
Old TSN: Y00059
New TSN: Y00979

I'm surprised my initial serial was so low. Hopefully this one will perform better. Had to stop by the local bike shop to pick up a small torque wrench, other than that the install was smooth.

Just installed my replacement wall connector.
Old TSN: Y00059
New TSN: Y00979

I'm surprised my initial serial was so low. Hopefully this one will perform better. Had to stop by the local bike shop to pick up a small torque wrench, other than that the install was smooth.
Interesting. My replacement arrived this morning and has now been installed (very easy in 20 minutes) and has been used with no red blinks etc. Serial numbers:
Old: Y00015
New: Y00243
Your replacement has a much higher number than mine so we'll see how it goes over time. Glad that you posted this as I'd not thought to check

Reactions: Velcade
My experience:
New Gen 3 wall charger worked well for 7 weeks and then in mid September the blinking reds appeared after about 30 minutes of charging and charge rate dropped by 50% to 20 amps (have a 50 amp breaker). I started following this thread shortly thereafter and last week checked for my current firmware (0.8.58) and called Tesla (510) 249-2490 option 2. After a short wait the tech came on, asked for the last portion of my VIN as well as for the TPN and serial numbers for the wall charger. With those in hand he ran a test on the unit and concluded that the firmware update to 1.3.0 was in order and set up same with the request that I wait a couple of hours before using the unit. He also said that they would monitor the unit and let me know if I needed a replacement. No follow through on that point yet. After the two hours passed I turned off the breaker for a minute and then checked to see if the new firmware was in place. However, before I could do so I had to re-enter the original WPA2 (pin) number for the charger. Fortunately I still had the Quickstart Guide for the charger which shows the pin. The new firmware is in place and performance has improved but the issue is not resolved. My recent charging experience (4 sessions) results as before with the blinking reds after about 30 minutes. However the charge rate only drops by about 10% as it fluctuates between 34 and 37 amps vs 40 normally. The cable and plug are warm but not hot. So it seems that the firmware yields a better experience but that the hardware still harbors a defect. Interested to see if those of you with new WCs experience no blinking reds.

An update to the above: Last week a return label arrived from Tesla with no explanation so I assumed a new wall charger was on its way. The new unit was delivered this morning and I installed it shortly thereafter; an easy process that took perhaps 20 minutes. After commissioning the unit I charged my MY for 2 1/2 hours and had no blinking reds so it seems the problem is related to the hardware and that replacement is the fix. The new wall charger is running firmware 0.8.58 and, hopefully, life is back to normal.

I purchased my 3rd gen wall charger in March, right when they were released. It was fine until about 2 weeks ago when I got my first 3 blinking red lights and charger was definitely hot. Cleared it, error/heat came back again this past Friday. Called Wall Charger support today (thanks everyone for the number!). They said they were definitely having issues with these chargers overheating and that 70% can be fixed via firmware. After checking my firmware, they found I was already on the correct firmware so they opened a case. They said the case will get routed to another group and they would check the charger and decide if they should replace it. He didn't say this directly, but he seemed to imply that was the path they were going to take. It will take 2-3 days for them to respond by email. (blah) He also said that I should ignore any email that says I have to return your defective charger before they will send out the replacement. He said that is inaccurate. The replacement charger will take 5 days to ship/receive from the date I hear from the team he was sending the case to.

So....while I am happy that it seems like the problem will get resolved, I'm not thrilled that the units are defective and it does suck that it's going to take about 10 days in total to get my unit replaced. I live 6 miles from a supercharger so I guess I will pop over there a few times.

On a side note, the service rep was excellent. Tesla's service is definitely less than accessible and is often branded "poor", but this rep (maybe the entire team?) was aware of the issue, new how to quickly diagnose the problem, and got me to the next step promptly. Hopefully the rest of the handling goes this well.

Note, the ‭(510) 249-2490‬ Option 2 center is open 8-5 pacific time / 11-8 Eastern.
Have your Wall Charger serial number handy and have the unit powered on, connected to WiFi so they can connect to it. I also have to leave it on in case the 2nd level team wants to connect to it for further diagnosis. He said there wasn't any danger in doing this.
I’m having this same issue on the same firmware version. Did you ever get a fix?