Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You've had the opportunity to live with the replacement for a while now, do you have any update on how it's behaving? My replacement arrived today and I'll install it soon but I'm not in a hurry if it doesn't fix anything.

Unfortunately my replacement is now having the exact same behavior as my original. Same overheating error with 3 red blinks, continues to charge at 24A/6kWh after approximately one hour of sustained charging at 48A. Happens every evening now. Wife usually comes home with 55-60% SOC from 90%. Actually just called Tesla charging support and let them know that my replacement is having the same issue and that I am on the latest firmware or at least the same one mentioned a couple posts above. He said they're still investigating the firmware issues and can't conclude if it's hardware, software, or both. Regardless, he is now sending me a third replacement unit to me free of charge. I was instructed to still call and inform them if the third unit exhibits the same behavioral so they can keep track. Frustrating but they fully acknowledge the issue and have been courteous in helping me out.

I called Tesla back and told him that my wall connector is still doing the overheating issue. He said they were supposed to send out a new unit a month ago and it must have fell between the cracks. So they're going to send me one today. Just like before they're very nice about it and very apologetic and want to be very helpful but somebody forgot to mail it out to me. I'll let you know what the outcome is.

This just started happening for me also. Currently 73 degrees out and its ramping down to 24amp after about 10 minutes. Checked the cable with a heat gun and its showing around 92-93 on the cable right at the bottom of the unit, rest of the thing seems fine temp wise at about 80. Going to call Tesla tomorrow about it.

Same thing. I got a Gen 3 about 6 weeks ago worked great until the last several days. Interestingly, only had a 50 Amp breaker and still had this issue charging at 40 Amps. Looks like everyone else in this thread was charging at 48. Called Tesla and they immediately said they’d send out a replacement, however, there may be “some delay”. Tried to post about this on Tesla’s forum and had it immediately taken down.

Reactions: Berkshire1
Same thing. I got a Gen 3 about 6 weeks ago worked great until the last several days. Interestingly, only had a 50 Amp breaker and still had this issue charging at 40 Amps. Looks like everyone else in this thread was charging at 48. Called Tesla and they immediately said they’d send out a replacement, however, there may be “some delay”. Tried to post about this on Tesla’s forum and had it immediately taken down.

I've had it on both 40 (50 amp breaker) and 48 (60 amp breaker) settings

I have installed the replacement unit and have done several charges lasting 2 or more hours. All have remained at 48A throughout the entire charge. I did notice a difference between my original Gen 3 Wall Connector and the replacement (even though they have the same Part number: 1457768-01-F). The outer insulation on the 18' cable is a different material. Since I already returned the faulty unit, it's difficult to determine the exact differences, but the outer insulation feels completely different. Anyone else notice this?

I have installed the replacement unit and have done several charges lasting 2 or more hours. All have remained at 48A throughout the entire charge. I did notice a difference between my original Gen 3 Wall Connector and the replacement (even though they have the same Part number: 1457768-01-F). The outer insulation on the 18' cable is a different material. Since I already returned the faulty unit, it's difficult to determine the exact differences, but the outer insulation feels completely different. Anyone else notice this?

I was going to sit on the sidelines and wait before asking for a replacement but this makes me want to ask for one now.

Great update, thanks for your input

The outer insulation on the 18' cable is a different material. Since I already returned the faulty unit, it's difficult to determine the exact differences, but the outer insulation feels completely different. Anyone else notice this?

I just opened and installed my new one a few hours ago. Did the setup procedure and put it on WiFi but I was hesitant--the firmware was 0.8.55 on it, so it presumably will update to the "bad" firmware. But whatever, I don't want to cripple it because I'm afraid of the firmware.

I did a 1.5 hour charge and it stayed at 48A the whole time. That's not really a long charge session but it's long enough that it would have dropped to 24A before the swap.

I also felt the cords and took side by side photos of the two and... I think the cable insulation is the same, for mine. At first, I thought the new one seemed less pliable and glossier, like a harder and less matte rubber, but I think it's just that the old one was more used. I've attached a bunch of photos so you can see for yourself. Inside the unit it looked fine, no sign of anything bad going on. I'll keep my car on 48A and hope for the best.

I will say, both the conduit feeding the HPWC and the cord from the HPWC got quite warm by the end of the charge session. Not "hot" by any means, but noticeably warm. The plug itself was not warm at all, just the cord.
a4 (1).jpg
a4 (2).jpg
a4 (3).jpg
a4 (4).jpg

I just opened and installed my new one a few hours ago. Did the setup procedure and put it on WiFi but I was hesitant--the firmware was 0.8.55 on it, so it presumably will update to the "bad" firmware. But whatever, I don't want to cripple it because I'm afraid of the firmware.

I did a 1.5 hour charge and it stayed at 48A the whole time. That's not really a long charge session but it's long enough that it would have dropped to 24A before the swap.

I also felt the cords and took side by side photos of the two and... I think the cable insulation is the same, for mine. At first, I thought the new one seemed less pliable and glossier, like a harder and less matte rubber, but I think it's just that the old one was more used. I've attached a bunch of photos so you can see for yourself. Inside the unit it looked fine, no sign of anything bad going on. I'll keep my car on 48A and hope for the best.

I will say, both the conduit feeding the HPWC and the cord from the HPWC got quite warm by the end of the charge session. Not "hot" by any means, but noticeably warm. The plug itself was not warm at all, just the cord.View attachment 579578 View attachment 579579 View attachment 579580 View attachment 579581
Thanks for the update...

When you installed the new unit, did you replace the face plate attaching the unit to the wall or just screw on the new unit to the existing plate? The reason I ask is that I think I saw that the heat sensor is located on the plate (could be wrong). If that’s the case, and it’s a hardware problem rather than software could it be there?

When you installed the new unit, did you replace the face plate attaching the unit to the wall or just screw on the new unit to the existing plate? The reason I ask is that I think I saw that the heat sensor is located on the plate (could be wrong). If that’s the case, and it’s a hardware problem rather than software could it be there?
According to the manual, the temperature sensor is on the wall connector body (“main unit” in the manual), not on the wire box (the piece that attaches to the wall and has the terminals for the wires).