Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector 3 red blinks fault code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the manual, the temperature sensor is on the wall connector body (“main unit” in the manual), not on the wire box (the piece that attaches to the wall and has the terminals for the wires).
When I spoke with tesla they said that the wire box which is attached to the wall does NOT need to be replaced. Remove the 4 screws holding the main unit to the box replace the main new unit and recommission. That's it.

I've been using a gen 3 wall charger for over a month since it was installed and we received our model Y. This just started happening last night. The car gets reports charging was interrupted and the wall charger shows 3 blinking light. At some point it resolves itself and starts charging again and then the cycle repeats itself over and over. Not sure what to do, I've restarted the car, flipped the breaker off and back on, scheduled a mobile service appointment (a week out) and contacted the install electrician.

I'm keeping positive on the replacement that's on the way from reading the last few posts on here. Mine hasn't arrived yet but, now mine is over heating even at 35 amps. Might have to bump it down to 30 and see if it will keep charging. Hoping the new one works

They are sending my information to warranty department and he said to expect a new unit in a few weeks. Rep said the new firmware basically changed the overheat protection to turn down the amps instead of interrupting power. Seems odd since I never had power interruptions before though.

I was just told by a home charging support person that they're aware of the problem and they believe it is software. It appears the unit is overreacting to temperature changes. Kind of makes sense, given how many of us suddenly had this problem pop up after months or more of solid operation. Here's hoping their suspicion is correct and a fix comes quick.

I was just told by a home charging support person that they're aware of the problem and they believe it is software. It appears the unit is overreacting to temperature changes. Kind of makes sense, given how many of us suddenly had this problem pop up after months or more of solid operation. Here's hoping their suspicion is correct and a fix comes quick.

I suspect it could be 2 problems. Some people have no hot cables and have this going on. I have both.

my replacement showed up yesterday. Swapping it out and getting it back on wifi was a breeze. It charged fine last night at 48 amps...buttt only needed to charge for about 45 minutes, which it did fine at 48 amps. My previous charger only made it about 10 minutes at 48 amps before overheating. So here's hope.

• Informative
Reactions: Kelr316
my replacement showed up yesterday. Swapping it out and getting it back on wifi was a breeze. It charged fine last night at 48 amps...buttt only needed to charge for about 45 minutes, which it did fine at 48 amps. My previous charger only made it about 10 minutes at 48 amps before overheating. So here's hope.
That's fantastic, maybe there is hope.. Keep us posted please. Still waiting for my replacement.

I had 2 installed yesterday and no issues so far. The cable gets warm after about 2 hours but nothing else. Stays between 42-44.

Attachments

• 6FDE0E5C-CF42-4E3B-9303-8CF3734C8A5C.jpeg
    6FDE0E5C-CF42-4E3B-9303-8CF3734C8A5C.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 97
  • 8D85BC3C-32E3-4222-949A-EFE7651950F4.png
    8D85BC3C-32E3-4222-949A-EFE7651950F4.png
    533.9 KB · Views: 81
Another data point... I just replaced a 5-yr-old-and-flakey gen 1 with a new gen 3. No issues charging a model S at 40A in a *very* hot garage (around 100 at night in my garage). Firmware that came with the unit is 0.8.58.
That's fantastic and thank you for the update. I just received my replacement unit in the mail today going to hook it up tonight. I'll let everyone know how the replacement unit works out.