Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector max 6 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen an issue where you can only get a charge from the wall connector at 6 amps at 240v? Of note my travel charger gets 12 amps at 110v.

A bit of backstory, I purchased this in 2020, used it for a month before I sold my house (so maybe 8 times max).... Then the new house needed a sub-panel wired and I work from home so it wasn't on the prioirty list.

Finally got an electrician to wire it. Added a NEMA 14 50 with 50 amp breaker. Plugged it in and it initally worked absolutely fine. Connected to wifi, and then after that I get 6/6 amps total at 240v.

Also of note, now the website only works if I go to 192.168.92.1/installation, wifi, or service. Going to to main site just gives me a spinning circle and never loads. Also tried on different browsers / devices to make sure it wasn't a browser cache issue.

Other steps I've taken is factory reset, turned breaker off for 15 min. Factory reset again. And finally tried doing firmware update manually, that just said "status: ok" or something to that effect.

Tesla support wasn't much help on this one unfortunately. Hopefully my basically new Gen 3 charger isn't already toast, but let me know if any other ideas or anyone has seen this before.

You are confusing me. You don't need/want a 14-50 outlet when using a wall connector.

Put down your computer, turn off your wireless access point, connect via your phone(set it to airplane mode, then turn on only wireless access).

I don't think there's any way to set an HPWC to 6 amps, even if you get into the config.

If its a new Gen3 HPWC, its under warranty for four years.

If its not a wall charger at all and is instead a Universal Mobile Connector (unlikely, since the web connection wouldn't work at all), make sure the adapter is fully installed into the body of the UMC.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
So rather than run a conduit and hard wire a line, the electrician installed at 14 50 outlet from a 50 amp breaker. The cable used to the wall connector is a NEMA 14 50 / 50 amp rated cable.

The wifi was something that just started not working right the same time this issue happened, but that's not the main issue.

The real issue is the Tesla shows charging at 240v with 6/6 amps and I cannot set it any higher.

So rather than run a conduit and hard wire a line, the electrician installed at 14 50 outlet from a 50 amp breaker. The cable used to the wall connector is a NEMA 14 50 / 50 amp rated cable.

The wifi was something that just started not working right the same time this issue happened, but that's not the main issue.

The real issue is the Tesla shows charging at 240v with 6/6 amps and I cannot set it any higher.

You should probably start with looking at that 14-50 to wall connector connection, since they dont come that way, which means you physically modified the wall connector (which is also likely why "tesla is not much help unfortunately" since they wont discuss nor warranty modified devices).

Turn off the breaker to reset the Wall Connector. Have your phone close by when you turn the breaker back on. The Wall Connector local Wi-Fi hotspot should appear on your phone under Wi-Fi networks. Connect to the local Wi-Fi (the password is with the paperwork or on the inside of the Wall Connector, visible when you remove the cover (need a Torx screwdriver to remove the security screws so you can remove the cover.) If the electrician properly sized the wiring, installed a 50 amp breaker then the Wall Connector needs to be set for a 50 amp circuit.

The Wall Connector is designed to be hard wired, not use a plug. Adding a power plug pigtail to the Wall Connector and the install is not code compliant. The electrician, assuming that they read the Wall Connector installation manual, should have advised you that the Wall Connector needs to be hard wired.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default...ng/Gen3_WallConnector_Installation_Manual.pdf

• Helpful
Sorry, it's jusst a 14 50 wall connector. Is it not supported to use a 14 50 wall connector with Tesla Wall Connector Gen 3? Reading the forums it seems like many use this with 50 amps. I haven't modified anything.
Photos would help.

There are 14-50 receptacles and 14-50 power plugs. Wall Connector is a Tesla term for the Gen3 WC equipment.

To summarize...the Gen3 HPWC is intended to be hard wired, not connected via a plug/outlet. You can't just plug it into a 14-50 outlet. You (or your electrician) most likely added some form of appliance cord to it and then plugged THAT into a 14-50 outlet, which would not be allowed and if anything breaks(or your house burns down), its your (or your electricians) problem. Since you have seemingly decided to go down this path, don't set the HPWC as if its connected to a 60amp(48 amp continuous) source, or you really WILL be in the danger zone of overheating the appliance cord. Heck, unless you used ferrules, the appliance cord might not even be good for 40 amps, since the stranded conductors in an appliance pigtail are usually much thinner(for flexibility) than in typical 4/6/8 AWG conductors for hardwiring.

• Love
Reactions: MattM24 and Rocky_H
Sure thing. Here's the basic setup w/ volt readings off the wall. The cord is rated at 50 amps, but I assumed this was a common practice based on other posts here. Also, in the wall connector, I set for a 50 amp breaker not 60. I assumed this was supported, but if it's not I'll have a new line run.

Attachments

• 120v 1.png
    120v 1.png
    2 MB · Views: 153
  • 120v 2.png
    120v 2.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 64
  • outlet.png
    outlet.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • tesla charging status.png
    tesla charging status.png
    2 MB · Views: 78
  • wall connector plugged in.png
    wall connector plugged in.png
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 96
The photos help.

If you are confident that the Wall Connector is provisioned for a 50 amp circuit then the problem may be with the Wall Connector.

When a power plug is allowed, as with the Tesla Mobile Connector, the power plug pigtail needs to be no longer than 12 inches. Your power plug pigtail is the longest I have ever seen and is being used in for a non-code compliant purpose to power a Tesla Gen 3 Wall Connector.

There are still things to check: The wire terminations at the breaker panel, inside the 14-50 receptacle and inside the Wall Connector mounting plate need to be properly tightened to the proper torque specification (per the Tesla manual). To do this accurately requires a torque screwdriver.

Has anyone seen an issue where you can only get a charge from the wall connector at 6 amps at 240v? Of note my travel charger gets 12 amps at 110v.

A bit of backstory, I purchased this in 2020, used it for a month before I sold my house (so maybe 8 times max).... Then the new house needed a sub-panel wired and I work from home so it wasn't on the prioirty list.

Finally got an electrician to wire it. Added a NEMA 14 50 with 50 amp breaker. Plugged it in and it initally worked absolutely fine. Connected to wifi, and then after that I get 6/6 amps total at 240v.

Also of note, now the website only works if I go to 192.168.92.1/installation, wifi, or service. Going to to main site just gives me a spinning circle and never loads. Also tried on different browsers / devices to make sure it wasn't a browser cache issue.

Other steps I've taken is factory reset, turned breaker off for 15 min. Factory reset again. And finally tried doing firmware update manually, that just said "status: ok" or something to that effect.

Tesla support wasn't much help on this one unfortunately. Hopefully my basically new Gen 3 charger isn't already toast, but let me know if any other ideas or anyone has seen this before.
Had you used a licensed Tesla recommended electrician I don't think that you would be having such problems.

so you think it's a wiring issue and I don't need to go through warranty to get a new wall connector? \

Understand it's non-standard and thanks for the feedback. I'll have it wired to the breaker.
If the Wall Connector is detecting a poor connection, i.e. low voltage (perhaps because the wiring is not properly torqued) the Wall Connector could lower the charging amperage. This could show as 20/40 on a 50 amp circuit; 6/6 indicates something else may be wrong. (I'm not sure you can even provision the Wall Connector for less than 15 amp circuit.)

If you have the Tesla Mobile Connector w/5-15 power plug adapter it would be helpful to test charging on a standard 120V receptacle. It the Tesla charging screen and the Tesla app should show charging is happening at 12/12 amps. (The Tesla Mobile Connector, when encountering low voltage or poor connection on a 120V/15 amp circuit would lower the charging amperage so it might show 6/12.)

Is the Wall Connector displaying any red lights when in standby? What about when plugged in to your Tesla vehicle, assumed to be charging?

A agree with @golferguy. Find a public Level 2 charging station you can use to verify that your Tesla Model Y is able to charge, i.e. 6kW 30A/30A would be typical readout on the Tesla Charging Screen and Tesla all when charging using a public L2 charging station.

Last edited:
Reactions: davewill
Can we get a picture of the connection to the wall connector baseplate?

Is there a GFCI breaker powering the 14-50? The HPWC specifically does NOT want one, but a 14-50 used for an EV is specifically supposed to have one! I really doubt this is causing your current problem, though(see what I did there)?

BTW, this entire installation wasn't really needed. A UMC with a 14-50 adapter would have gotten you 32 amp charging and be very portable.

View attachment 952685

The 6/6 readout means the WC would only allow 6 amps. That's not even a normal option. So either the WC is confused or the car is misinterpreting the communication.
@hydroskillet
What light pattern do you get?
View attachment 952684
Have you rebooted the car?
Actually I didn't, but I did reboot it and it said the same..... mine has all the lights illumiated going down like it did 3 years ago when it worked. I'd thiink it would be 5 amps after setting this to the 50 amp breaker settings at 192.168.92.1/installation.
Can we get a picture of the connection to the wall connector baseplate?

Is there a GFCI breaker powering the 14-50? The HPWC specifically does NOT want one, but a 14-50 used for an EV is specifically supposed to have one! I really doubt this is causing your current problem, though(see what I did there)?

BTW, this entire installation wasn't really needed. A UMC with a 14-50 adapter would have gotten you 32 amp charging and be very portable.
it's an outlet wired about 3 feet to the 50 amp breaker, so I don't think there's an in-line GFCI. Then a 6' 50 amp rated 14-50 cable wired in into the plate..... given this worked for about 10 min until I logged into it and connected to wifi, I'm honestly assuming it did a firmware update and that messed it up.

Actually I didn't, but I did reboot it and it said the same..... mine has all the lights illumiated going down like it did 3 years ago when it worked. I'd thiink it would be 5 amps after setting this to the 50 amp breaker settings at 192.168.92.1/installation.

it's an outlet wired about 3 feet to the 50 amp breaker, so I don't think there's an in-line GFCI. Then a 6' 50 amp rated 14-50 cable wired in into the plate..... given this worked for about 10 min until I logged into it and connected to wifi, I'm honestly assuming it did a firmware update and that messed it up.
If you set the HPWC as having a 50 amp breaker setting, the car would say X/40amps, since the circuit is only allowed to flow 80% of the breaker.

A 14-50 GFCI would be built into the circuit breaker for the outlet. I'm still interested in getting a look at the wiring of the backplate of the HPWC.

Maybe do another firmware update with better/different firmware.

Reactions: mongo