Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 Wall Connector max 6 amps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you set the HPWC as having a 50 amp breaker setting, the car would say X/40amps, since the circuit is only allowed to flow 80% of the breaker.

A 14-50 GFCI would be built into the circuit breaker for the outlet. I'm still interested in getting a look at the wiring of the backplate of the HPWC.

Maybe do another firmware update with better/different firmware.

I manually updated firmware with most recent version. Is it possible to download legacy firmware and update? ..... with the backplate it's basically the same as 4 posts down on this thread. NEMA 14-50 HPWC

Actually I didn't, but I did reboot it and it said the same..... mine has all the lights illumiated going down like it did 3 years ago when it worked. I'd thiink it would be 5 amps after setting this to the 50 amp breaker settings at 192.168.92.1/installation.
All lights is the indication it is charging. The power setting is only displayed for 10 seconds after power on or if you press and hold the charge handle button. (60 amps is all lights in that case)

Have you tried switching to something else like 20 Amps?
It *might* be the power sharing settings (they reference 6 amps).

All lights is the indication it is charging. The power setting is only displayed for 10 seconds after power on or if you press and hold the charge handle button. (60 amps is all lights in that case)

The power sharing issue is a great idea. If the new firmware was thinking this is a slave HPWC and it never gets to talk to a master(since it doesn't exist) it could easily stay stuck at 6 amps forever.

Reactions: Rocky_H

It was a good idea on both counts. Sharing was disabled. Tried 20 amps but it looks like it it still wants to go at 60.

Here's a couple screenshots of me setting the amps and then the home screen that just spins. Nothing loads unless I do /sharing, /installation, /service, etc.

If there's a way to downgrade firmware happy to give it a go but I don't have an old file nor know if it can be flashed.

Attachments

• IMG_6818.jpeg
    IMG_6818.jpeg
    341.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6817.png
    IMG_6817.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6816.png
    IMG_6816.png
    204.7 KB · Views: 61
Of note my travel charger gets 12 amps at 110v.

BTW, this entire installation wasn't really needed. A UMC with a 14-50 adapter would have gotten you 32 amp charging and be very portable.

Do you have the Tesla mobile EVSE ? If so, get a 14-50 adapter and try it out with your 14-50 receptacle and your car. That should narrow down where the problem lies.

It was a good idea on both counts. Sharing was disabled. Tried 20 amps but it looks like it it still wants to go at 60.

Here's a couple screenshots of me setting the amps and then the home screen that just spins. Nothing loads unless I do /sharing, /installation, /service, etc.

If there's a way to downgrade firmware happy to give it a go but I don't have an old file nor know if it can be flashed.
There's definitely ways to put new(old) firmware on the HPWC.

Ok, 4 lights for 50 Amps.
Link for manual firmware update (not sure if it helps with downgrade) : https://www.tesla.com/support/gen-3-wall-connector-troubleshooting#offline

You have two separate issues, both with regards to commissioning the Wall Connector. The 6A issue is due to load sharing and will be the default power level when the Wall Connector can't communicate with the other Wall Connector on the circuit. In your case this may have been set unintentionally in the App and there isn't a second Wall Connector. The 60A is because the Wall Connector wasn't set for a 50A breaker and requires you to intentionally set it in the App.