Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder how many of these m3 owners regret their purchase and are trying to get out from under a mistake while the iron is hot. Having watched a couple of the videos of people reviewing the car I am really glad I got an S. I would not have been as happy with a 3.
Touted as the "affordable" electric car people are trying to flip them for more than twice what I paid for a CPO P85.
I predict a bottom dropping out of the used 3 market the day the Model Y is announced.

Out of 400,000 people who reserved the Model 3, there is no doubt that some of them will be unhappy with it. But I think the overall satisfaction with the car has been high. I am very happy with mine. I have a whole list of things that I think are stupid about it, but a much longer list of things that are wonderful. I would not compare it to the Model S, except to say it's sort of the baby brother to the Model S, which is much too big a car for me, and probably wouldn't even fit in my garage.

I would never have bought a scalped car, but so far I have no regrets having bought mine directly from Tesla when my turn came.

The Model 3 would have been a poor choice for you. And for a lot of others. The Model S (other than being too big for me) is clearly the better (and more expensive) car. Buying a used car is always more economical, and in a few years there will be Model 3 cars available on the used car market at appropriate used-car prices. The used-car market for the Model 3 is skewed right now, and will remain so until Tesla manages to ramp up and fill the waiting demand.

Out of 400,000 people who reserved the Model 3, there is no doubt that some of them will be unhappy with it. But I think the overall satisfaction with the car has been high. I am very happy with mine. I have a whole list of things that I think are stupid about it, but a much longer list of things that are wonderful. I would not compare it to the Model S, except to say it's sort of the baby brother to the Model S, which is much too big a car for me, and probably wouldn't even fit in my garage.

I would never have bought a scalped car, but so far I have no regrets having bought mine directly from Tesla when my turn came.

The Model 3 would have been a poor choice for you. And for a lot of others. The Model S (other than being too big for me) is clearly the better (and more expensive) car. Buying a used car is always more economical, and in a few years there will be Model 3 cars available on the used car market at appropriate used-car prices. The used-car market for the Model 3 is skewed right now, and will remain so until Tesla manages to ramp up and fill the waiting demand.
fwiw i've walked around one since posting that, i quite like the car but don't feel it's worth the $65-80K people were asking for them at first. at sticker direct from tesla, it's a no-brainer and probably the only car i'd ever buy new (waiting on Y tho).

Thread Crapping (attribution: urban dictionary)Thread crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to thespirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

As a future seller of a pre-owned Tesla (we have two: an S60 and X90D) I would have to really consider the value of using this site to advertise due to all of the negative commentary, high-jacking, off-topic banter that contributors inanely add to a simple and straightforward post to simply offer a item for sale to anyone with the resources and desire to purchase said item.

Ultimately, the value is what is agreeable to both the seller and purchaser; and if you really look at the comments from contributors, those that crap the most are probably not really serious purchasers. They only end up negatively affecting the equity value of our wonderful vehicles and driving down the resale price.

(rant over)

Reactions: Olds442 and Amit519
Isn't that the point of a forum though? This is a place for discussion amongst enthusiasts. Personally, if I didn't want the possibility of holding a conversation with people online, I'd only sell on eBay and the likes. And the same way you list negatives to "Thread Crapping", you can list positives with the times it has helped posters find the appropriate value in their vehicle and maybe protecting others from overpaying. We can clearly go many ways with this.

I get it. Some people want to come here and just get to the sale and be done with it. And I'm not sure this is the appropriate area to do that. Maybe mods should be more involved, idk. But I think it's unfair to knock those for using the forum for its intended purpose, to carry dialogue.

Isn't that the point of a forum though? This is a place for discussion amongst enthusiasts. Personally, if I didn't want the possibility of holding a conversation with people online, I'd only sell on eBay and the likes. And the same way you list negatives to "Thread Crapping", you can list positives with the times it has helped posters find the appropriate value in their vehicle and maybe protecting others from overpaying. We can clearly go many ways with this.

I get it. Some people want to come here and just get to the sale and be done with it. And I'm not sure this is the appropriate area to do that. Maybe mods should be more involved, idk. But I think it's unfair to knock those for using the forum for its intended purpose, to carry dialogue.

I agree. And it's interesting to note when cars sell, how fast and why. I think it comes down to people who may have more feeling of worth on a vehicle than it's actuall sales price.

People who price their vehicles right sell very quickly. People who aren't so upfront with specs or high asking price sit and then get the interested get the perceived flak.

Well, I'd welcome respectful comments on the value of my Roadster, listed for sale in this forum, because, honestly, I have no idea how to figure a fair price. Kelly Blue Book does not even list Tesla under "Make" for the year 2010.

What do people think of CarMax? Do they give fair price offers? Can I trust some random guy at CarMax not to abuse the car when they take it for a test drive? There's a CarMax near me, and I wonder if that's a good way to get an idea of its value.

Check out Doug Demuro's YouTube channel when it comes to selling to CarMax. Basically I think the TLDR is they give you a low quote but will just send it to auction because they won't want to sell it themselves. I remember seeing on here or somewhere they give employees crack at it to buy before auction. I think he took a Ferrari once and got a crazy low quote.

I'd honestly look at any local Tesla Clubs. You might find a local buyer with knowledge of a roadster so a win win for you and them.

Check out Doug Demuro's YouTube channel when it comes to selling to CarMax. Basically I think the TLDR is they give you a low quote but will just send it to auction because they won't want to sell it themselves. I remember seeing on here or somewhere they give employees crack at it to buy before auction. I think he took a Ferrari once and got a crazy low quote.

I'd honestly look at any local Tesla Clubs. You might find a local buyer with knowledge of a roadster so a win win for you and them.

I couldn't tell from that page which video you were referring to, but I did once watch a YouTube video where a couple of guys took something like a two-million-dollar car (I don't remember, some really high number) to CarMax and got a low offer. But that was a crazy expensive car. Not something any ordinary person could afford. The Roadster is less expensive than sinkers with less torque. I might drop by CarMax tomorrow and talk to them, see what they say.

I was wondering if anyone is selling a Model X (preferably 75D/90D) for under $80K on the East Coast of the U.S (northeast is a big plus!) I'm looking for under 30K miles, enhanced autopilot is a must, preferably the 6 seat configuration, premium package would also be amazing. I'm open to all offers. Thank you!

I was wondering if anyone is selling a Model X (preferably 75D/90D) for under $80K on the East Coast of the U.S (northeast is a big plus!) I'm looking for under 30K miles, enhanced autopilot is a must, preferably the 6 seat configuration, premium package would also be amazing. I'm open to all offers. Thank you!

This is the general chit-chat thread. I think you'd have more luck posting a new thread in the Want to Buy forum.

CARMAX buys cars for wholesale. Is a brand agnostic place where sellers can get an instant price that is good for 30 days. They can use this price as a base to compare against other offers. Carmax pays cash on the spot and takes your car off your hands.

Some of the vehicles they auction off at their dealers only events. Others they retail through advertising and internet offerings.

It is a clean deal, as they will inspect a car on the spot and offer to purchase at that time.

If the seller feels that they can do by better by selling it themselves, then they can get closer to retail prices, however they will rarely be able to get as much as a full service dealer can who offers financing, warranty, advertising and a showroom with lots to choose from and professional sales people.

All these options are available to every seller.