Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General chit-chat in "For Sale" threads

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talked to a tesla used salesperson last night...supposedly Tesla is doing away with the 4 year 50k extended warranty on used cars purchased from tesla and only giving a one year 10k mile warranty on top of when the 4 year 50k warranty ends. She said it would probably go into effect in the next 24-96 hours from 10/14/2020.

Talked to a tesla used salesperson last night...supposedly Tesla is doing away with the 4 year 50k extended warranty on used cars purchased from tesla and only giving a one year 10k mile warranty on top of when the 4 year 50k warranty ends. She said it would probably go into effect in the next 24-96 hours from 10/14/2020.
As promised....The warranty for used Tesla's has changed to 4 year 50k and then 1 year and 10k miles after the basic 4 year warranty ends.

Friend is thinking of selling a 2015 P90DL, but having an issue pricing one with these options. It has the cold weather package, jump seats, dual chargers, ludicrous mode, and has the MCU2 upgrade with less than 55k miles. Had a paint correction, ceramic coating, and ceramic tint added. Any ideas on what they should ask for it?

Last edited:
but the times are a little tricky

This isn't going to get me any brownie points but I just can't sit on my fingers with this blatant price gauging under our noses. This is a 2014 P90D ffs. You can get a new 2020 100D for just 10k more than what is asked here.

Also, a quick search of the VIN of this P90 shows you purchased if from Tesla for $15k less then what you are asking, in March this year. Did the used car market skyrocket over night and we didn't notice?

You posted this same junk on a for sale thread already and your post got deleted. It's rude and inconsiderate to post such garbage on people's for sale threads. Yet you continue posting the same garbage on other for sale threads... why?

I wouldn't be bragging about getting raked over the coals by Carvana nor would I go around telling other people they want too much money for their car based on your trade-in experience. You took the "easy way out" for a quick "sale" which cost you probably ten grand. That must be a difficult pill to swallow. That's not this person's fault and what they do with their car is none of your concern. They clearly don't mind putting forth the effort and taking the little bit of extra time to get more money for their car. Let 'em. If they ask $68,280 for it and it sits for 15 months and they still haven't sold it.. what business is it of yours? It's rude to just trash people's for sale posts by posting such nonsense publicly.

You want useful information? I sold a different color combo P85D+ w/o Ludicrous but otherwise almost identical to this car a few months back for MORE than OP's current asking price. Yes, more. That's the actual used market on this car private party sale and your trade-in figure is almost worthless in terms of a data point next to that.

I posted facts to help the owner assess what’s within reason. Thank you for your personal opinion. The fact that they sold my car for $2k over what they paid me says I missed out on exactly $2k and what the actual market is or was, around $45k.

Hope to the seller that their car goes quickly.

I posted facts to help the owner assess what’s within reason. Thank you for your personal opinion. The fact that they sold my car for $2k over what they paid me says I missed out on exactly $2k and what the actual market is or was, around $45k.

Hope to the seller that their car goes quickly.

No, the only thing we can extrapolate from that incredibly small dataset is they were willing to sell the car for $2k over cost before any other fees are factored in. That's it. It doesn't tells us anything about what you would have got for it had you taken the time to list and sell it yourself which is what the OP is doing here.

Contrary to your alleged motivation, your post is NOT helping the OP sell their car by casting doubt on their asking price publicly. So if you truly want to help the OP you should simply move along and take your anecdotal (at best) data with you.

If you truly hope that the seller sells their car quickly you'll stop crapping on their thread.

How did you search for VINs
Thank you

QUOTE="cucubits, post: 5091491, member: 104200"]This isn't going to get me any brownie points but I just can't sit on my fingers with this blatant price gauging under our noses. This is a 2014 P90D ffs. You can get a new 2020 100D for just 10k more than what is asked here.

Also, a quick search of the VIN of this P90 shows you purchased if from Tesla for $15k less then what you are asking, in March this year. Did the used car market skyrocket over night and we didn't notice?[/QUOTE]

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
This isn't going to get me any brownie points but I just can't sit on my fingers with this blatant price gauging under our noses. This is a 2014 P90D ffs. You can get a new 2020 100D for just 10k more than what is asked here.

Also, a quick search of the VIN of this P90 shows you purchased if from Tesla for $15k less then what you are asking, in March this year. Did the used car market skyrocket over night and we didn't notice?

What exactly is "Blatant price gouging" anyway? "Price gouging" by itself is such an un-American phrase and holds virtually no weight with anyone capable of common sense and critical thinking.

The seller is under ZERO obligation to sell their car for what YOU deem a good price. None. The seller is also not forcing anyone to buy at gunpoint. The car is worth what they seller is willing to accept and what the buyer is willing to pay. Not a penny less. Not a penny more. You don't like the price? Move along. Seems a pretty simple concept to me.

As to used car values sky rocketing overnight... yeah, you didn't notice but the number of available used cars has drastically gone down. This coupled with the fact that Tesla is trying it's hardest to get out of the used car business and making drastic changes that don't favor the buyer to include warranty changes and removing FUSC/premium data, the private party car has become the ONE car to buy for those who are smart enough to know what to look for. This comes with a price premium that some are willing to pay. This has caused the values to plateau and even rise in some cases of harder-to-find cars in cleaner condition. Comparing a new LR to a Performance car (yes, even a 2014) is comparing apples to aardvarks. I'm surprised you didn't crap on this seller's for sale thread by talking about how one can get a used Civic for $10k as a comparison. You don't like it? Go buy the same car from Tesla and enjoy the nightmare you're signing up for.

I know reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours so go back and read the sellers very first line of this entire thread. Here, I'll even copy/paste it here to save you the effort:

REQUEST 1: Please don't price police. Please. If you mean well, please DM/PM me. No need to spam the thread. Please.

Any other questions feel free to PM the seller. Be respectful.

Price gouging is real. I agree I would rather buy from a private individual for all the reasons you explained. Paying somebody a fair price even somewhat of a premium for a well-maintained vehicle with a good history remaining warranty and features that were available in the past but not currently available is a smart move. But that doesn't make it right or Fair or ethical to sell somebody a vehicle for $15,000 more than what Tesla would sell it to you for. Yes used car values have gone up some. I've been watching used car values on electric cars and internal combustion engine cars I can't point to a single example of a vehicle that has gone up $15,000 within a short historical window due to a limited supply of used cars on the market currently. I like reading comments on the forums because I want to pay a fair price and I don't want to get gouged. like learning about the various features in the advantages of one car versus another. Yes I have bought a Tesla from a forum member in his exact words or thank you for being straightforward in the purchasing process when so many were not. It can be a pain in the ass to sell on these forums it can be a pain in the ass to buy or it can be a good experience. Personally I see more sellers who have unrealistic expectations than buyers and I have been both on the three Teslas that I have owned.
There will always be people commenting on these threads on vehicles for sale. Getting upset about it or responding in a harsh way is like getting mad at fire for burning you.

Thank you Cucubits

What exactly is "Blatant price gouging" anyway? "Price gouging" by itself is such an un-American phrase and holds virtually no weight with anyone capable of common sense and critical thinking.

The seller is under ZERO obligation to sell their car for what YOU deem a good price. None. The seller is also not forcing anyone to buy at gunpoint. The car is worth what they seller is willing to accept and what the buyer is willing to pay. Not a penny less. Not a penny more. You don't like the price? Move along. Seems a pretty simple concept to me.

As to used car values sky rocketing overnight... yeah, you didn't notice but the number of available used cars has drastically gone down. This coupled with the fact that Tesla is trying it's hardest to get out of the used car business and making drastic changes that don't favor the buyer to include warranty changes and removing FUSC/premium data, the private party car has become the ONE car to buy for those who are smart enough to know what to look for. This comes with a price premium that some are willing to pay. This has caused the values to plateau and even rise in some cases of harder-to-find cars in cleaner condition. Comparing a new LR to a Performance car (yes, even a 2014) is comparing apples to aardvarks. I'm surprised you didn't crap on this seller's for sale thread by talking about how one can get a used Civic for $10k as a comparison. You don't like it? Go buy the same car from Tesla and enjoy the nightmare you're signing up for.

I know reading comprehension isn't a strong suit of yours so go back and read the sellers very first line of this entire thread. Here, I'll even copy/paste it here to save you the effort:

Any other questions feel free to PM the seller. Be respectful.

Price gouging is real. I agree I would rather buy from a private individual for all the reasons you explained. Paying somebody a fair price even somewhat of a premium for a well-maintained vehicle with a good history remaining warranty and features that were available in the past but not currently available is a smart move. But that doesn't make it right or Fair or ethical to sell somebody a vehicle for $15,000 more than what Tesla would sell it to you for. Yes used car values have gone up some. I've been watching used car values on electric cars and internal combustion engine cars I can't point to a single example of a vehicle that has gone up $15,000 within a short historical window due to a limited supply of used cars on the market currently. I like reading comments on the forums because I want to pay a fair price and I don't want to get gouged. like learning about the various features in the advantages of one car versus another. Yes I have bought a Tesla from a forum member in his exact words or thank you for being straightforward in the purchasing process when so many were not. It can be a pain in the ass to sell on these forums it can be a pain in the ass to buy or it can be a good experience. Personally I see more sellers who have unrealistic expectations than buyers and I have been both on the three Teslas that I have owned.
There will always be people commenting on these threads on vehicles for sale. Getting upset about it or responding in a harsh way is like getting mad at fire for burning you.

Thank you Cucubits
No, it's not. Price gouging isn't real. It's not a thing. It's a phrase the snowflakes cry out when they have nothing of tangible value to say. Nobody is forcing you to buy this car. The seller could list this car at $238,964 and it's still not your place to post negatively about the price. If you don't like the price, move along. The seller even asked on the front end to not do exactly what you and @cucubits are doing. The lack of respect with your posts is unreal.

Reporting all these posts about "price gouging" to the mods.

Same people keep thinking the RULES (do NOT threadcrap on pricing in a FS post) do not apply to them.

Contrary to popular opinion, buyers are NOT idiots. If a car is over-priced, it simply will not sell (case in point). We don't need the nanny-state holding people's hands for pricing.

You started it. You know we will NEVER let you get away with the notorious price crapping you do. Happy to keep playing this game, but you know the rules, and you know the mods are on our side, not yours.

Right because blindly following head-in-sand the rules and using them to attack whatever you don't agree with, is the way to go! Good job!

I have been quiet for many many threads now but yeah, I do still slip. I did try to be nicer here too, as you noticed I asked first if he wanted some feedback. Then he blamed the "times" for his non-sense, I couldn't stop.

As it was said, when the sales ads are crazy, there will always be folks calling them out. If not me, someone else. If these get deleted, another way will be found to make sure potential buyers at least know the whole story.