Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Voted my TSLA shares two weeks ago online for Elon's compensation package. Last week, got a phone call from Tesla saying I hadn't voted the shares would I like to do so by phone. I voted them again. Yesterday, I got a hard copy in the mail to vote the shares. Sheeesh. Anyone else experiencing this?

Voted my TSLA shares two weeks ago online for Elon's compensation package. Last week, got a phone call from Tesla saying I hadn't voted the shares would I like to do so by phone. I voted them again. Yesterday, I got a hard copy in the mail to vote the shares. Sheeesh. Anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, all but the call. I voted all mine online at the different places I own TSLA. All voted yes!

GGF1 solar installation progress seems to be pretty quick, comparison from Feb 21 to Feb 27
upload_2018-3-2_9-27-13.png

For those interested in filtering out VAT effect, pricing of I-pace in Switzerland are available also on jag Swiss website.
They say “starting from 82’800 chf.
Here model X 75D starts at 84’500 chf.
Just a datapoint.

If we bring this information together we have a car with specs below current Tesla Models (small vehicle, two motors, 90 kWh Battery, small range etc.) for a price people get a upper class ICE car or a S or X with more range and most important charging infrastructure.

As much as I want to call the I-Pace a great car it really is not what I do expect from Jaguar or other automakers in order to build solid demand. If you are an educated buyer you will choose a Tesla as you just get more for you $/€s. What I look for is a EV car that has either better specs than Tesla or a better price for the same specs.

The question I am asking myself is, is that car a vehicle that motivates people who drive an ICE car today to buy an EV that is not a Tesla.

I hope I am wrong and they do but looking at what I learned about the I-Pace in the last 24 hours I am disappointed.

I think the specs are okay but the price is too high. Model Y will significantly undercut it when it comes to market, but for now, Jag seems to want to pin the I-Pace against the Model X even though its specs really aren’t competitive.

Reactions: elasalle

I am in Europe and my Bank said I cannot vote because the shares are stored at a wrong place and they have not enough time to relocate them. Very odd for BNP.

Explained Tesla today my issue and wait to see if they have a workaround for me like you on the phone.

I think the specs are okay but the price is too high. Model Y will significantly undercut it when it comes to market, but for now, Jag seems to want to pin the I-Pace against the Model X even though its specs really aren’t competitive.

I should adjust my statement a bit. If you go to Jaguar’s online vehicle configurator, the I-Pace offers a wide range of options including cloth and leather interiors, cloth and faux suede headliners, a wide range of wheel options, adaptive damping (something I’d love to see Tesla offer), heads up display, rain sensing wipers and even a heated windshield. Of course, all of these options come at a price, but kudos to Jag for making them available.

Model S 1.0 looked a lot like a Maserati.

Semi buyers only care about TCO/Mile.

For retail premium pickup trucks looks matter.

If it looks like a hippie mobile for San Franciscans and Angelenos it won't sell.

Better to give it a traditional silhouette with a massive frunk

I'll take all bets on Franz being able to deliver a design that's clearly Tesla, but also makes pickup truck buyers drool.

This is a nice video in the new BMW X2 production. I love to watch it. After about 11 minutes the robots get a lot of support from humans. What do you think how much this differs from TM3 production?
The guys at about the ~11:30 mark are professional gapnistas. There are lots of people with nothing better to do than measuring panel gaps on Tesla cars. Tesla can hire an army of them for next to nothing.

I'll take all bets on Franz being able to deliver a design that's clearly Tesla, but also makes pickup truck buyers drool.

As long as it has a traditional silhouette. And how we define "clearly Tesla."

The pickup truck is for the North American market.It will be a cash cow for Tesla. It will be a mortal danger to Detroit and force it to electrify. Any sales outside of North America is gravy ( a bonus).

Mercedes X Class for Europe.
00-Mercedes-Benz-vehicles-Concept-X-CLASS-powerful-adventurer-stylish-explorer-1280x686-1280x686.jpg

Volkswagen Amarok V6 for Europe

thumb-amarok-v6-wp.jpg

2018 Nissan Navara for Europe.

7ecc2ca8a6988b7f0ee65f14cda56a0f089b9ebb.jpg

As long as it has a traditional silhouette. And how we define "clearly Tesla."

The pickup truck is for the North American market.It will be a cash cow for Tesla. It will be a mortal danger to Detroit and force it to electrify. Any sales outside of North America is gravy ( a bonus).

Mercedes X Class for Europe.
00-Mercedes-Benz-vehicles-Concept-X-CLASS-powerful-adventurer-stylish-explorer-1280x686-1280x686.jpg

Volkswagen Amarok V6 for Europe

thumb-amarok-v6-wp.jpg

2018 Nissan Navara for Europe.

7ecc2ca8a6988b7f0ee65f14cda56a0f089b9ebb.jpg
My biggest question is what would Tesla do with the grill. It has become a macho symbol, the bigger the grill the bigger the engine the bigger the *****. I would love for Tesla to blaze a new trail, invent a new shape and a new type of truck, like what the VW Beetle and Type 2 did for cars and vans. There are always going to be traditionalist who won't like a Tesla pickup truck for one reason or another. But there are also other truck buyers who are just buying it for the utility, and will be more open minded to a new innovative shape if it makes a better truck. I don't see a need to chase the 1st group and ignore the 2nd group.

Last edited:
Reactions: immunogold
But there are also other truck buyers who are just buying it for the utility, and will be more open minded to a new innovative shape if it makes a better truck. I don't see a need to chase the 1st group and ignore the 2nd group.

Go after both groups.

The 2nd Group is the kind that buys a $24k 1/4 ton truck or a $30k 1/2 ton truck.

In other words not much profit there. It won't scare Detroit into electrifying.

After 20 years, if Tesla conquered the 2nd group but not the first Tesla would get the reputation as the real work truck and the Detroit trucks as the sissified Urban Cowboy Truck. But Tesla does not have 20 years to wait.

When Tesla made Roadster 1.0 and Model S 1.0 it did not ignore traditional sports car and sports sedan buyers. Ignoring traditional pickup truck buyers would also be a massive mistake.

And I AM WAGERING that Elon is not so stupid as to ignore the traditional American pickup truck buyer.

GGF1 solar installation progress seems to be pretty quick, comparison from Feb 21 to Feb 27View attachment 283916
Using Google Map, each of the 5 dark blocks that look to be solar panels measure ~150ft x 50ft, some are a little smaller or missing some corners, so say ~7,000 sq ft per block, and ~35K sq ft total. A quick search shows ~100 sq ft of solar panel gives ~ 1kW, so Tesla has put in ~350kW so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.