Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla Semi Supercharging

screen-shot-2018-03-08-at-6-39-41-pm-e1520552437248.jpg

Tesla Semi trucks spotted Supercharging near Sacramento on their first cargo trip

Shouldn't the semi be able to do the trip in 1 take and not need to charge ?

From MarineTraffic.Com:

G POSEIDON crossed 'TSUGARU KAIKYO' Strait
Time: 2018-03-09 01:14 UTC (17:14 PST)
Position: 41.63387, 140.9636
Speed/Course: 13.4 knots / 268°​

Its ETA at CN SHA (China Shanghai) is March 11 at 16:30 LT (UTC). I assume LT (UTC) means Local Time is UTC, which is wrong, but that's what it says. It left Feb. 23 from San Francisco. That's 15 days, half a month.

I thought I read somewhere in those notices or when I was reading its status that it stopped in Mexico after leaving San Francisco. Did I get that wrong?

>>> Edit: New message:

G POSEIDON arrived at
Port PETROSTAR
at 2018-03-09 11:14 Local Time (2018-03-09 02:14 UTC)​

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: elasalle
Shouldn't the semi be able to do the trip in 1 take and not need to charge ?

From other thread, they are reported to both be 300 mile versions
Donner pass is 7,200ish feet. If they are at the full 80k pounds, that is 220kWh of potential energy. Assuming 1.6 kWh/mile the mountain takes 140 miles of range to climb. Topping off at Sacramento gives them a 60 mile buffer before heading down the other side to Sparks.

500 mile version would not need to stop.

We had the same thought....

Beside the fact that I dislike China's industry policy which targets on getting their hands on innovation and technology IP, be it from the US, Germany or you name it, its been a disappointment to see that the large amount of consumers made every other country to comply with rules they invented e.g. Chinese co-owner or you can't produce her without taxes. That worked very well with Siemens, VW and many other German industry leading companies giving away core technology for access. On the long run a very dangerous rule for this companies to comply with.

It was leaked before likely from the Chinese negotiation side that talks are in a difficult situation with Tesla and my interpretation was that they are for good reasons not willing to give their IP away just for the right to sell to 1bn Chinese consumers without tariff. As an investor that would make me feel uneasy and I hope he is using the tariff conflict for that reason. Otherwise why should he go public ands tweet about this.

European leaders have been anticipating that the Trump Tarif discussion was targeted towards the China tariff and rules. Not sure though if the US administration & Trump have the same view...

EM is right IMHO, a 10 fold Tarif difference makes no sense as well as a co ownership that is a threat for the moat.

If we look at SpaceX, we can see that they do not issue patents in fear of the Chinese stealing their IP. If we can make rockets cheaper than China, I am hopeful we can figure out how to make cars cheaper.. in the short term, we don’t need the Chinese. Tesla will sell every car it can make for a very long time (even without China in the equation). Once dreadnaught is in full swing, it wouldn’t matter where the car is produce anyway.

Elon is right for steering clear of China and their crazy demands, Tesla has spent way too much R&D to just give it away. Come on China, who do you think we are? A bunch of cell phone makers? This is dreadnaught!!!

Reported VIN assignments have been much more positive the last two days, with much increased volume and around half over or near 9000. If you remove the 'dead zone' between Feb 19 and Feb 27 this looks like it could be the beginning of the exponential phase of the ramp

Agree! But they need to follow it up rapidly with A) a new batch of invites B) a new batch of VIN registrations. Otherwise it might just be yet another 'false start' induced only from the big gulp of invites two weeks ago instead of genuine progress on the ramp.

If we look at SpaceX, we can see that they do not issue patents in fear of the Chinese stealing their IP. If we can make rockets cheaper than China, I am hopeful we can figure out how to make cars cheaper.. in the short term, we don’t need the Chinese. Tesla will sell every car it can make for a very long time (even without China in the equation). Once dreadnaught is in full swing, it wouldn’t matter where the car is produce anyway.

Elon is right for steering clear of China and their crazy demands, Tesla has spent way too much R&D to just give it away. Come on China, who do you think we are? A bunch of cell phone makers? This is dreadnaught!!!

Agreed. The China problem had nothing to do with the IP in the cars because they can already reverse engineer that. Even the pack and cells. What they can't figure out is the alien dreadnaught. If you partner with then, you give them the keys to the kingdom. If Tesla is going to be the company that makes the machines that makes the machines.. then China ownership does not work. Build in India or someplace with less shipping but you can't partner with them, because they will steel everything without hesitation. The problem could be solved if Tesla could partner with a tech company instead of a car manufacturer.

Agree! But they need to follow it up rapidly with A) a new batch of invites B) a new batch of VIN registrations. Otherwise it might just be yet another 'false start' induced only from the big gulp of invites two weeks ago instead of genuine progress on the ramp.

This is exactly correct. I agree with both A and B. Hopefully this isn't another false start like late December!

Reactions: schonelucht

I know everyone hates Trump and yada, yada and yada. But he is like a dog with a bone and Elon spoon fed him a nice juicy T-bone. Elon is the master of using Twitter to negotiate on behalf of his companies. This is why I love Twitter and hate Facebook. Twitter is no much more precise and not bogged down with cat videos. I swear I have 40 friends in face book and I have to go through 50 cat videos to see in family picture.

I know everyone hates Trump and yada, yada and yada. But he is like a dog with a bone and Elon spoon fed him a nice juicy T-bone. Elon is the master of using Twitter to negotiate on behalf of his companies. This is why I love Twitter and hate Facebook. Twitter is no much more precise and not bogged down with cat videos. I swear I have 40 friends in face book and I have to go through 50 cat videos to see in family picture.
Tell your family members to get cats and put them in the pictures and videos. Did CNBC comment on elon-trump china tweets?

Status
Not open for further replies.