Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that may be true. I also suspect they may have finally convinced him to start under-promising expected production dates and rates to Wall Street and the media.
If true, this is a monumental achievement for option investors. I reckon it is akin to landing rockets for reuse. TSLA would suddenly become a tiny bit predictable!:)

Except that the car doesn’t seem to have the quality issues X did... everyone who has the car seems to love it, so why cite “quality” to slow down the ramp to 1/4th of its original schedule?
May have been a way to give 'an explanation' for a slower ramp than previously announced (sugar coating).
May actually be one particular item that is now the new bottleneck and accelerating it creates quality issues (even if not visible by the owner, ie inside the pack)
May as well be a cheap and smart way to redress some consumer fears (fueled by FUD); after all, a big part of the M3 consumer base is new and they need a lot of education/reassurance.

Reactions: neroden and NateB
I suspect that may be true. I also suspect they may have finally convinced him to start under-promising expected production dates and rates to Wall Street and the media.

^^
This^^. His credibility on meeting his self imposed production dates/goals was hurting TSLA, investors and ultimately the ability to obtain future financing at the most favorable rate. Someone (thank you if that someone is reading this) finally stepped to the plate and said 'Enough'.

Reactions: DragonWatch
It is surprising on one level that not a lot of serious competition has showed up. Germany is pushing their auto industry to move, but they are doing so at a controlled rate. The Leaf is doing ok and Nissan keeps pushing the tech slowly forward and the Bolt is a good compliance car, not profitable, but not something normal buyers would swoon over. Only China is rushing headlong into this space and they intend to dominate the world EV market. They will transform the market, but Tesla will be profitable and continue to grow based on their branding, visionary engineering and excellent design aesthetic.
The non surprising part is that the legacy manufacturers basically have to acknowledge that all of the intellectual property is worthless, including thousands of years of engineering knowledge. It is the innovators dilemma. Kodak didn't die because they didn't see digital coming, they just couldn't move stakeholders over the chasm from analog to digital. How many engineers in Detroit are pounding on their buddies to join the dark side and go electric, and ruining barbecues to badger their coworkers and families to change now, before it is too late. This stuff is religion to Elon and his team and devil worship to a transmission engineer. How does a CEO remove obstacles to change, when one of those obstacles is fear of career obsolescence. How does a CEO convince stockholders that they need to migrate 90% of their future investments to EV from ICE and make the HR changes to go along with these changes?

Yes, there is all that resistance to change you mentioned that applied to Kodak (or Barnes and Noble vs. Amazon, or Blockbuster vs. Netflix, etc.). There is one, as far as I know unique, massive impediment to change for the ICE incumbents. More or less kicking the can down the road as much as another decade, with a couple of notable exceptions does not explode the odds of going out of business amid this disruption (those exceptions- the luxury vehicle makers and the Chinese auto industry. For the Chinese, it's not so much about going out of business as not passing up on a massive opportunity to expand market share and pressure from Chinese government mandates). Don't get me wrong... the incumbents are in for rocky waters and some may go out of business. However, with the exception of the luxury makers, it only marginally increases their risk of being done in by those rocky waters if they wait another decade to respond to the disruption we can all see is extremely likely and really move to EVs.

Some details- if Tesla hits it out of the park, they will sell 5 million vehicles per year in 2025. That's in a global auto market that is likely to increase from ~90 million in 2017 by more than those 5 million units lost to Tesla. I.e, net increase in annual volumes for the likes of Ford, Toyota, Hyundai, etc. So, for another decade, they can very largely ignore Tesla, not turn assets/investments into dead weight and implode their cash machine of selling ICE (actually watch it grow larger), and only slightly increase the level of hazard in switching to BEVs in the late 2020s vs now (possibly make it less risky as they go through an "electrification" phase, i.e. plug-in hybrids etc).

Now, does it sound so absurd or short-sighted that Toyota announces their move to EVs and it's 10% of their production... in 2030!

Of course, this only works if the incumbents look around and see this is what their peers are doing. Well, for the non-luxury makers this is just what seems to be happening.

So, yes, the ICE incumbents are facing very difficult decisions to pull the trigger on as you've mentioned we've seen before with other disurputions... but, there appears to be an unprecedented dynamic that means this disruption is extremely likely to continue in slow motion as I don't believe we've ever seen before.

More on all this, here.

Last edited:
Ditto on getting invitation to configure. Now the tough part: wait for white interior? wait for stock to go up (so I can part with fewer shares)? or just carpe diem? Best problem to have EVER!

Sell some puts, long-term, (a bet on Tesla going up) to raise the cash to buy your 3. If you're portfolio is in good shape/scale to do this, not kidding : ).

First time I ever disagreed with Curt. This is Elon, cast iron gonads the size of a falcon heavy, Musk. That's like trying to take Trump's Twitter away. Speaking of falcon heavies, You do realize that Elon just put a roadster in rocket that's going to Mars? Anyway. You are probably right because you usually are. But I'll believe when I see it. I honestly don't think it matters much what Elon says and it matters more what happens.

Last edited:
First time I ever disagreed with Curt. This Elon, cart iron gonads the size of a falcon heavy, Musk. That's like trying to take Trump's Twitter away. Speaking of falcon heavies, You do realize that Elon just put a roadster in rocket that's going to Mars? Anyway. You are probably right because you usually are. But I'll believe when I see it. I honestly don't think it matters much what Elon says and it matters more what happens.

We'll see. However people often mellow with age. Trump excepted of course. ;)

First time I ever disagreed with Curt. This Elon, cart iron gonads the size of a falcon heavy, Musk. That's like trying to take Trump's Twitter away. Speaking of falcon heavies, You do realize that Elon just put a roadster in rocket that's going to Mars? Anyway. You are probably right because you usually are. But I'll believe when I see it. I honestly don't think it matters much what Elon says and it matters more what happens.

He has already shown some 'backing down' on some things: He admitted people talked him out of the 'Y' will be built on a new platform vs. why not just make it on an existing platform of the 3 and use '3' components in the semi. If the 'Y' comes with traditional doors vs FWDs I feel that he may be finally listening to his staff regularly.

Elon is Elon. He hasn’t started under-promising. Just my two cents.

I hardly ever disagree with you Dave but I think he did at least realistically promise this time. Otherwise, why not stick with 5k by the end of Q1?

Now, I agree that this realistic type of projecting may not be a long term phenomenon :rolleyes: I can only hope it becomes at least used sometimes moving forward.

I hardly ever disagree with you Dave but I think he did at least realistically promise this time. Otherwise, why not stick with 5k by the end of Q1?

Now, I agree that this realistic type of projecting may not be a long term phenomenon :rolleyes: I can only hope it becomes at least used sometimes moving forward.

Expectations do matter. If Tesla hits a rate of 3k/week at the end of Q1 after changing their guidance to 2.5k/week it will be viewed as very positive news.
On the other hand if they kept guidance at 5k/week for Q1 and hit the same 3k weekly rate they will get significant criticism even though the rate and their "job performance" is the same.
I'm just hoping that for once Elon and Tesla decided to bank on under promising and over delivering for a change.

Elon is Elon. He hasn’t started under-promising. Just my two cents.

I agree. Elon wants to change the world and having public pressure to meet very difficult goals generates more internal pressure than the method of Google and other companies who set aggressive internal deadlines but do not publicize them.

IMO long-term shareholders can also benefit as intense focus translates into goals being achieved faster than they otherwise would be. In the short-term, it makes some investors and analysts unhappy but so far that has been a price Elon seems willing to pay to meet goals no other company has come close to meeting. One of the reasons he may prefer to have Tesla be a private company is to reduce the blowback from short-term misses by a stock market that too often lives quarter to quarter.

Having said all that hopefully any miss of the 5000/wk by end of Q2 goal is only a month or two, and it would not surprise me at all if they were on time.

like I said the other day... Elon will provide some tidbit in the report to allow you to hang onto the story. there's a handful of them in there...

"In the last seven working days of the quarter, we made 793 Model 3's, and in the last few days, we hit a production rate on each of our manufacturing lines that extrapolates to over 1,000 Model 3's per week"

this statement neither provides guidance or data that would qualify as scientific analysis... so why is it being referenced at all?... to keep the story going... and that's why it's in there.
It's not like the 793 cars in the last week were exactly 113 a day.

They were more something like:

1. 90
2. 96
3. 102
4. 110
5. 120
6. 131
7. 144

This is how you get 793 cars, and end up at 1000/wk

That's exactly what Elon said.

Status
Not open for further replies.