Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you chose to ignore the original projection of 50k M3s in 2017? I ask because you did not address it.
I didn't address it because an unsubstantiated anonymous rumor wasn't germane about the point I'm making about the official statement Tesla has released moving it's 2020 year end production goal to 2018.

Clearly not only the end goal had to change, but all the interim goals did as well. That article you quote says design/engineering was completed 13 months ahead of schedule, so clearly to meet the end-of-2018 goal the ramp was also going to have to be compressed.

So you are the one that estimated they are 7 months behind the revised goal. Fine. Call it 10 if you'd like, I don't care. My point is that they are doing it well ahead of what was originally stated as the end goal.

I didn't address it because an unsubstantiated anonymous rumor wasn't germane about the point I'm making about the official statement Tesla has released moving it's 2020 year end production goal to 2018.

Clearly not only the end goal had to change, but all the interim goals did as well. That article you quote says design/engineering was completed 13 months ahead of schedule, so clearly to meet the end-of-2018 goal the ramp was also going to have to be compressed.

So you are the one that estimated they are 7 months behind the revised goal. Fine. Call it 10 if you'd like, I don't care. My point is that they are doing it well ahead of what was originally stated as the end goal.

Just so you know, I am prodding you for this info because I am using it elsewhere for the same argument. I apologize.

I think your missing some cars as the referenced links do not go back farther then 2014.. I believe Troy's numbers are more accurate, so mid Apr is probably more like it:

I actually tried to account for that by including all 2013's (22k) into the count. The 4k in 2012 and roadsters would be offset by the rest-of-world 2013 deliveries. But there's still a 12k difference between my numbers and Troy's. I'm more inclined to believe Troy's as well, but am holding out hope that Troy missed something in his count. :p

Quick note that non-CA owner invites for day-one Model 3 reservation holders are starting to spit out in greater numbers today. There are a few folks chiming in here. I would expect based on the varied locations given that there was a decent-sized non-CA invite batch sent earlier this AM.

yep, Virginia previous owner here - just got my invite to configure. Decisions, decisions :) how badly do i want that AWD

Reactions: Runarbt
yep, Virginia previous owner here - just got my invite to configure. Decisions, decisions :) how badly do i want that AWD

Same delima here..........just got the invite, and have always planned on the AWD version Model 3 since we live in very rural Northern Idaho. But it would be nice to be assured of the tax credit this year as well. Given some of the discussions on the board today regarding expected date to reach 200,000 vehicles we may ultimately have to decide between a 2 wheel drive Model 3 or an AWD Model S if we want the tax credit. And the irony is that the only vehicle we need to upgrade on our hobby farm is our pick-up. If the semi truck drawing of the pick-up was real and seated two people up front I would probably just upgrade to that instead.

Same delima here..........just got the invite, and have always planned on the AWD version Model 3 since we live in very rural Northern Idaho. But it would be nice to be assured of the tax credit this year as well. Given some of the discussions on the board today regarding expected date to reach 200,000 vehicles we may ultimately have to decide between a 2 wheel drive Model 3 or an AWD Model S if we want the tax credit. And the irony is that the only vehicle we need to upgrade on our hobby farm is our pick-up. If the semi truck drawing of the pick-up was real and seated two people up front I would probably just upgrade to that instead.

You could just wait until this summer when more clarity on both comes up. From what we have seen, you can just sit on the invite, and it's not like the tax credit just disappears.

Edit* You actually liked the drawing of the pick-up?

• Informative
Reactions: Runarbt
You could just wait until this summer when more clarity on both comes up. From what we have seen, you can just sit on the invite, and it's not like the tax credit just disappears.

Edit* You actually liked the drawing of the pick-up?

Thanks @Mkorpal. And yes, I did like the 'pick-up' concept (both size and capacity). We are in the process of selling a Mercedes Sprinter RV conversion (Roadtrek AgileSS) and are looking at options that are more more robust for our needs. I was considering building our next RV on a Mercedes Unimog frame - similar to the Global Expedition RV's. The Tesla pick-up concept could be a wonderful replacement for the Unimog on many levels. And I fully expect to see Supercharging capacity along the entire PanAmerican Highway at some point. So while all options are open to get us from Alaska to Tierra del Fuego and all around North America in the longer term, in the timeline we are looking at with a personal build of the expedition camper I think it might be a fit for us. And it will certainly haul a few sheets of plywood for our next barn project in the meantime.

Reactions: JRP3
Quick note that non-CA owner invites for day-one Model 3 reservation holders are starting to spit out in greater numbers today.

As a CA owner who hasn’t been invited to configure yet, I am outraged!

Not really, though. I didn’t make a reservation until March 2017, I’m waiting for dual motors (& maybe performance), and loving my 75D.

It’s great to hear that the launch is going nationwide.

Reactions: ValueAnalyst
As a CA owner who hasn’t been invited to configure yet, I am outraged!

Not really, though. I didn’t make a reservation until March 2017, I’m waiting for dual motors (& maybe performance), and loving my 75D.

It’s great to hear that the launch is going nationwide.
I also wouldn’t be surprised if they’re trying to spread out the deliveries to not max out any one delivery center’s capacity.

I appreciate your contrarian perspective, and hope you stick around.

Credit where credit is due on your expectations for the ongoing ramp. I agree they are not sandbagging the 2.5k timeline.

Where I disagree with you most is valuing TSLA as a traditional automaker and ignoring their competitive moats and the premium valuation the market wants/continues to give them. Maybe the time for more standard valuation will arrive, but IMO not while they have potential Y/semi/roadster/solar ecosystem/FSD still teasing the market with their potential or 'potential'.

"As we continue to focus on quality and efficiency rather than simply pushing for the highest possible volume in the shortest period of time, we expect to have a slightly more gradual ramp through Q1, likely ending the quarter at a weekly rate of about 2,500 Model 3 vehicles. We intend to achieve the 5,000 per week milestone by the end of Q2."

Look... I ALREADY WIN. And now I bet you think they're sandbagging it. Most likely not. And where does that leave them? 1.5k/wk end of Q1 is highly likely.

Amazing. About 1/3rd of my posts get mod-deleted trying to run me out of here... you guys crying about how I mess your board up... and once again... here we are.

Reactions: 2virgule5
Status
Not open for further replies.