Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How does oil get to 300, without a major spike in fracking?

The answer is complex and one must go down several levels deep across dozens of demand and supply factors, but in short:

The US shale oil production comprises 4 percent of global oil supply, so even if it jumps by 50 percent this year, which it won't, it can barely meet the change in global oil demand, which increases like clockwork every expansion year, let alone replacing the natural annual declines in existing oil wells across the world, and this: Hungry Venezuelan Workers Are Collapsing On the Job

Reactions: gillfoto
  • Informative
Reactions: neroden
lol, brought to you by the site that has 3 trucks of the year and also differentiates between car of the year (e.g. sedan tesla m3) and sedan of the year (e.g. Kia stinger). regardless, i will disregard this lack of significance and celebrate M3 achievement.
"Car of the Year" is the best across all categories. Then there's sedan, crossover, SUV, etc.

The settlement of the AP 2.0 class action lawsuit was announced today, subject to court approval ($5 million including attorneys' fees according to Electrek Tesla agrees to partially reimburse people who bought Autopilot 2.0 in $5 million settlement of class action lawsuit).

Nikola has now popped up with a design patent lawsuit over the Semi. Tesla sued for $2 billion by hydrogen truck startup over alleged patent infringement

The law firm that brought the suit does not list patent litigation as an area of expertise on their website. Practice - Beus Gilbert

Tesla said, "it’s patently obvious there is no merit to this lawsuit." :p And based on the way the complaint is written, it appears Nikola's lawyers don't understand the difference between a design patent and a regular (utility) patent.

Apparently Nikola realizes its about to get crushed by the Semi. This lawsuit looks more like a publicity stunt than anything else.

Edit: Mr. Hewitt beat me to the punch!

Even Walmarts truck (project cancelled) looks similar in some ways ...
Walmart Debuts Futuristic Truck

I'm thinking they exclude the best overall from its individual category, so best sedan that isn't the car of the year. Otherwise, there will always be a duplicate award.

that's the part i found silly. they could just own up to the fact that one of the subcategies is the car or truck of the year.

but we digress. stock has been pretty flat today. i guess no one has any insider knowledge and trying to capitalize on that.

Reactions: neroden and mongo
Looking at the current production ramp makes me optimistic.

This week already third most reported vins ever. And and we are just at the fourth day of the week.

Today already up to 23. I bet this number will double during the evening and night.

tesla model 3 production.png

 Model 3 production hit 2,270/week in April for the 3rd straight week over 2,000
 Q1 Auto GAAP gross margin up sequentially by 80 bp and non-GAAP by 500 bp
 Cash balance of $2.7 billion at the end of Q1
 2018 Capex projection reduced from >$3.4 billion to <$3 billion
 Expecting positive GAAP net income and positive cash flow in Q3 and Q4 2018

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3
As we reported in our preview post, Wall Street was expecting revenue of about $3.142 billion for the quarter and a loss of about $3.26 per share due to large capital expenditure caused by the slow start of Model 3 production. The company delivered higher on revenue with a new record ~$3.4 billion and still had wide losses of $4.19 per share (non-GAAP) ($ per share GAAP).

Tesla (TSLA) releases Q1 results: record revenue of $3.4 billion – still wide losses

Surprised stock is holding up so well with the larger than expected losses...

Grohmann line still not up and running? Still semi-automated..?

Yeah, sounds like:

For months, the battery module line was our main production bottleneck.
After deploying multiple semi-automated lines and improving our original
lines, we have largely overcome this bottleneck. Consequently, we now
expect to reach a module production rate of 5,000 car sets per week even
before we install the new automated line designed and built by Tesla in
Germany. Still, once installed, this new automated module line should
significantly lower manufacturing costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.