Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that GM stopped reporting sales monthly and that they are going to quarterly reports like Tesla.
InsideEV said this:

upload_2018-5-1_13-46-39.png

IMO even if gas tops $5/gallon we will not see a massive surge for Ford Fiesta 3 door hatchbacks and Focus 4 door sedans.

But for subcompact and compact crossovers like the Ford Ecosport that get 27 mpg city and 29 highway and Ford Escape that gets 23 MPG city and 30 highway. As well as PHEV and BEV crossovers. And Ford is planning on a mass market compact all electric 300 mile range crossover.

Even at $5/gallon I still don't see demand for BEVs topping 20% of new car buyers, demand for ICEv collapsing, and GM,Ford, and FCA filing for bankruptcy.

In real life I have seemed to convince several people to consider buying a PEV but not one to actually pull the trigger and buy one. Gas in Los Angeles has now topped $3.70 for regular. I thought I had convinced my brother in law to get a Clarity PHEV but he bought an Accord 1.5T yesterday instead.

I get your point, but its the rotation that will kill them. People rotating out of profitable models into those razor then margin vehicles at a time when they are trying to sell EVs at a loss. Who knows, maybe they will make money from the EVs right the start. Apparently you can just fart out profitable EVs on your first try if you are a big time auto maker.

• Funny
Reactions: kbM3 and zmarty
Right now Elon's responsibility at Tesla include: CEO, Chairman, product architect, sales, marketing, and Model 3 production. I think he is doing a fantastic job. If Elon doesn't think he needs a COO, then he doesn't need a COO.

So no other car companies started in the last 70 years. A dozen or more of other EV makers come and gone in the last few years including Fisker. 50% YOY sales growth. Not a penny spent on advertising. Most amazing automobile ever built. I mean, WHY would be want EM to keep running things?

What......hand it over to someone who we have no idea about? And people on this forum will tell you, I am critical of EM when I think it is warranted. Does that mean I want anyone else in charge? Heck no.

So basically, I agree with you. :D

Mostly trash.. as usual. Anyone who thinks you can bring in a COO to control the message is nutz. Who is going tell Elon to shut up? I dont care if he says crazy *sugar*. I have learned to tune it out and focus on results. Its not really hard and I think others know how to tune it out as well. Apparently journalist and opinion writers have not figured it out yet or they like writing stories about the stuff he says.. probably the latter, which makes them even more dishonest. But clicks are clicks.

Here is a good quote:

Looking at Moody’s downgrade, Musk has multiple ways to solve his financial-engineering problem. Headlines emphasized that Moody’s thinks Tesla will have to raise more money — about $2 billion — to subsidize losses and prepare to make the Model Y small SUV, due in 2020.

But the report says that’s true only if Tesla continues to invest at a multibillion-dollar yearly rate, as it did when retrofitting its California factory to make Model 3s and building its giant Nevada battery factory, jobs that are now done. Musk can ramp up to push Model Y production and other projects. Or he can wait, if he needs to conserve cash until the Model 3 delivers profitability, and not have a cash crunch.

But, Moody’s says, nothing works unless Tesla builds Model 3s in quantities that matter. And things work well if it does.

This is actually very insightful as I have never seen someone write this, specifically the stuff in bold. This is something shorts dont get or dont want to get. Tesla has spent several years building factories and capacity. Fremont, S and X and now 3. The entire Gigafactory1 and GF2. Only recently has all this stuff come together. GF2 is producing finally. GF1 is 1 machine from 5k/w for auto packs and how knows for Powerpacks and Powerwalls, but no doubt close. Fremont can now produce 2k/w S and X with great fit and finish and no issues with just 2 shifts. Tesla was spending north of $1B a quarter on Capex to accomplish this. They have all but payed those dues. Per Depak on the last call or the one before it, he talked about how Q1 would be the final quarter with any major Capex for the model 3 and Q2 would only be a fraction of the normal Capex for Model 3. That means that after Q2, Tesla will have completed the expansion and paid for it, that it started years ago. The payoff will be in Q3-Q4 which is why Elon is so confident. Certainly there will still be Capex but its going to be hundreds of millions and not $1B+ those 2 qtrs.

Another thing shorts do not get. Capex for 5k-10k will be less then 0-5k and it will be much faster because the lines will already work before that equipment is ordered, they are just copying parts of the line. Also, the way this works, Tesla does not pay for the new equipment until it is running and validated to be working properly, which means the day its producing Model 3s for real is when the payment becomes due and they will probably have some terms, at least 15 days. What this means is that Tesla wont have to pay the Capex or the parts for 5k model 3s a week until after it works. We already know they can deliver the cars before they have to pay for the parts, so they have extra time for that. The machines will probably be ordered once 6k is achieved and they will be in place by the end of Q4 and verified soon after the new year starts. This should allow them to ramp fairly quickly to 7k, 8k and then eventually 10k. The ink will barely be dry on the check for the Capex when the new line is pumping out thousands of additional cars a week. The total price tag is also lower, as little as 50%.

Tesla does not need a COO, they need a better pr department. Every time Elon says something they should put out a statement clarifying what was said with all the proper caveats like, Elon is going to try really hard but it may be impossible, but eventually we will deliver. But you know Elon, he is a wildly optimistic person so take his estimates with a grain of salt and adjust accordingly.

Adjust accordingly people. Elon is always late but Tesla is always a few years early and 5+ years ahead of the competition.

Another thing shorts do not get. Capex for 5k-10k will be less then 0-5k and it will be much faster because the lines will already work before that equipment is ordered, they are just copying parts of the line.

I think shorts understand Tesla's CapEx very well. It's a key part of the bear argument.

Their Q4 letter said they expected higher CapEx in 2018 than 2017. Tesla's CFO said "way more than 50%" of that would go to the Model 3 ramp.

So, reading into that: Tesla has 3.5B cash and they're expecting to spend more than 3.4B on CapEx. Roughly 2B of the 3.5B cash on hand going just to CapEx for the Model 3.

This is the central argument! Cash is king, and if Tesla can't start producing the Model 3 profitably and at scale soon, they're screwed. It's right there in the 10K.

It's probably why Tesla is switching to 24/7 production. They've looked into the future, they see they can't afford the CapEx, and so their solution is to increase capital utilization. It's desperate and stroke evidence of a cash crunch. It's why I'm confidently short heading into earnings.

Plans can obviously change, and Tesla may be able to recover from a Model 3 blunder.

The issue is that, when you take out that Model 3 CapEx and customer deposits, you're left with maybe 1B cash, much of which was planned for other business functions.

How are they going to scale the Semi AND invest in autonomous driving AND begin Model Y production AND create a Roadster line AND pay off their debts?

the way this works, Tesla does not pay for the new equipment until it is running and validated to be working properly, which means the day its producing Model 3s for real is when the payment becomes due and they will probably have some terms, at least 15 days.

... The shorts point to this as the trigger for a supplier run. When they pay is different from a commitment to pay. These machines are ordered months in advance. They can't just tell suppliers "hey, that machine we ordered, we don't want it anymore."

Last edited:
I get your point, but its the rotation that will kill them. People rotating out of profitable models into those razor then margin vehicles at a time when they are trying to sell EVs at a loss. Who knows, maybe they will make money from the EVs right the start. Apparently you can just fart out profitable EVs on your first try if you are a big time auto maker.

Fiesta,Focus,Fusion,and Taurus are not profitable. Well, it has been reported Fusion makes about $200 per vehicle.It is said they are saving $25B in not developing the next generation sedans and putting that into not only trucks/crossovers but electrified vehicles.

Ecosport and Escape are profitable. People are willing to pay about $3000 more for Fiesta based crossover and about $4000 more for a Focus based crossover.

Ford doesn't need their 1st gen BEVs to be profitable to survive. They just need to cross the valley of death before Tesla is making 1M pickups per year.

IMO FCA is toast. And at least one of remaining Detroit automakers will make it maybe both.

I would enjoy more of your thinking around this in particular!

GM and Ford have about a ~$30B rainy day fund.

FCA does not. As part of their agreement to takeover Chrysler, the Feds gave x amount of shares to the UAW for unfunded pension liabilities and FCA has spent the last 8 years or so buying those shares back.

Marchione killing Dodge and Chrysler subcompact,compact and midsize sedans was bold and the correct decision. Spending billions on trying to revive Alfa Romeo and Maserati has so far proven unfruitful.

As a result I think GM and Ford can survive a recession while FCA can not.

Additionally FCA is incorporated in the Netherlands but domiciled in the UK for tax purposes.

Which politicians do they go to for a bailout? Rome,Washington DC, Amsterdam or London?

I wish I had time to be an Uber driver in my Model 3, that would convince a lot of people.
I have been driving my Model S around Austin for Uber, Lyft and now Ride|Austin since 2015. I've done about 5,000 rides. Thousands of smiling faces exiting the car :) And definitely putting Tesla (and BEVS in general) on their radar.

(Don't use Uber or Lyft when you come to Austin! Don't forget they have their own solution which is cheaper and better quality - www.rideaustin.com)

Huh?

2018Q1 PEV sales in Europe:
#1 Zoe 8562 (AC)
#2 Leaf 8171 (CHAdeMO)
#3 BMW i3 5703 (CCS)
#4 VW e-Golf 5159 (CCS)
#5 Outlander PHEV 4756 (CHAdeMO)
#6 Model S 3824 (Tesla)
#9 Smart fortwo ED 2620 (AC)
#10 Ioniq EV 2553 (CCS)
#14 Model X 2315 (Tesla)

CCS 13,415
CHAdeMO 12,927*
AC 11,182
Tesla 6,139

* In March there were over 6,000 Nissan Leafs sold. If sales remained at March rates the Leaf by itself would see CHAdeMO clearly outselling everything else.

I found this humorous because once Tesla starts delivering 5,000 (1 weeks production) Model 3s to Europe every months those Tesla number suddenly dwarf everything.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Fair enough, but surely you can understand how bias a place like this is vs a place like insideEVs which is widely accepted as fairly accurate
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this text on InsideEVs -

Now that fixes have been made in Fremont and the Gigafactory, we should look forward to a surge for May, followed by a leap in June to end Q2. Still, our Model 3 April delivery estimate of 3,875 is impressive considering the circumstances

They're pretty much acknowledging that the >6,000 produced in April didn't all get delivered in April, and will probably be delivered in May. The cars produced in March were delivered in April, broadly speaking.

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned this text on InsideEVs -

Now that fixes have been made in Fremont and the Gigafactory, we should look forward to a surge for May, followed by a leap in June to end Q2. Still, our Model 3 April delivery estimate of 3,875 is impressive considering the circumstances

They're pretty much acknowledging that the >6,000 produced in April didn't all get delivered in April, and will probably be delivered in May. The cars produced in March were delivered in April, broadly speaking.
I think this has to be the most likely explanation. I think InsideEV is basically only counting the 1st week of April production to be delivered in April. I read in some thread someone in Florida claims it takes Tesla 3 weeks to ship the car out to Florid. It may be an extreme case, but if InsideEV is being extremely conservative here, that could be how they're approaching April delivery. I still disagree with their approach, but at least I can understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.