Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not entirely true. To what extent Tesla is getting paid is certainly open to discussion but do yo really think they are just giving away equipment and services?

U.S. awards $18.5B in recovery grants for Puerto Rico

I never claimed Tesla is giving anything away or what they are or aren’t getting paid. I only know the government of Puerto Rico has defaulted on its debt in 2017 of around $70 billion. @neroden claims the central Puerto Rican government isn’t paying for this Tesla infrastructure, but I can’t find anything to validate that claim or find out who is/isn’t paying for it.

Hopefully Tesla shares some more details about Puerto Rico if it is indeed eating up Tesla Energy production (and hopefully sales).

Reactions: Skryll
I never claimed Tesla is giving anything away or what they are or aren’t getting paid. I only know the government of Puerto Rico has defaulted on its debt in 2017 of around $70 billion. @neroden claims the central Puerto Rican government isn’t paying for this Tesla infrastructure, but I can’t find anything to validate that claim or find out who is/isn’t paying for it.

Hopefully Tesla shares some more details about Puerto Rico if it is indeed eating up Tesla Energy production (and hopefully sales).
This is very awkward logic.
I see PR has a population of 3.337 million people. Lets assume 4 people per household... then lets assume only the top 2% earners of the population can afford power walls. That is a pool of ~17000 households. Obviously this is just residential pool of customers. You can add in x number of commercial enterprises on top of that.
What does the debt status of the government of PR have to do with the above? Have you visited 'poor' regions outside of the US? Regardless of government finances, there can be wealth and poverty encompassed within a small geographical space.

I see PR has a population of 3.337 million people. Lets assume 4 people per household... then lets assume only the top 2% earners of the population can afford power walls. That is a pool of ~17000 households. Obviously this is just residential pool of customers. You can add in x number of commercial enterprises on top of that.
What does the debt status of the government of PR have to do with the above? Have you visited 'poor' regions outside of the US? Regardless of government finances, there can be wealth and poverty encompassed within a small geographical space.

To add to this, in areas like Puerto Rico where electricity is both expensive and unreliable, for many businesses storage and solar can easily become an economic no-brainer.

1) I’ve visited Puerto Rico, and many places all over the Caribbean, so kudos to you for not being a pretentious douche and assuming where I have or haven’t been in the world.

2) I’m assuming this is all referring to this: Tesla has ‘about 11,000’ energy storage projects underway in Puerto Rico, says Elon Musk

That sure does sound like it’s the central Puerto Rican government that would be involved in a national infrastructure project(s) there. Fred seems to agree. The financial health of the Puerto Rican government isn’t particularly debatable.

3) Puerto Rico would benefit greatly from Tesla Energy. I want it to happen there. Their ability to pay for it, along with other social and infrastructure services, is an obvious concern.

1) I’ve visited Puerto Rico, and many places all over the Caribbean, so kudos to you for not being a pretentious douche and assuming where I have or haven’t been in the world.

2) I’m assuming this is all referring to this: Tesla has ‘about 11,000’ energy storage projects underway in Puerto Rico, says Elon Musk

That sure does sound like it’s the central Puerto Rican government that would be involved in a national infrastructure project(s) there. Fred seems to agree. The financial health of the Puerto Rican government isn’t particularly debatable.

3) Puerto Rico would benefit greatly from Tesla Energy. I want it to happen there. Their ability to pay for it, along with other social and infrastructure services, is an obvious concern.
But wait...within then same article that you highlighted, there is a photo of a RESIDENTIAL property that has kept its lights on due to Tesla. Looks like a nice neighborhood. Wonder if they had to rely on a national infrastructure project to fund this?
tesla-powerwall-puerto-rico1.jpeg

But wait...within then same article that you highlighted, there is a photo of a RESIDENTIAL property that has kept its lights on due to Tesla :)View attachment 306626

That’s literally a single property! You have evidence for 10k or so other residences purchasing Tesla products?

We are talking about presumably a huge project there. As long as revenue is booked within the upcoming quarters for everything Tesla is providing now, I’m happy.

That’s literally a single property! You have evidence for 10k or so other residences purchasing Tesla products?

We are talking about presumably a huge project there. As long as revenue is booked within the upcoming quarters for everything Tesla is providing now, I’m happy.
See post #10267 for conjecture on that... of the douchey kind admittedly :)

• Funny
Reactions: kelly

Puerto Rico

As of 2016

According to above 2.8% of workers(not households) make between $70k-$100k.

An additional 1.8%(16,989) make over $180k.

Puerto Rico's soaring cost of living, from giant electric bills to $5 cornflakes

July 2015

"The current cost of 20.118 cents per kwh is down from 27.328 cents last August because of the drop in oil prices."

"The average monthly cost of “energy” in Puerto Rico, which includes electricity and natural gas, among other energy sources, is $438.21, compared to $169.49 in the US – a staggering figure, mostly because of the high price of electricity."

________________________________________________________________________________________

For Puerto Rico's Top 5% the "Elon Special" of Tesla Solar Panels or Solar Roof, Powerwall, plus Model 3 is a no brainer. And get electric cooking appliances and water boiler.

For businesses that don't care about aesthetics generic Chinese panels plus powerpack is a no brainer.

"Tesla, it’s been said, is less a car company than a battery company that sells cars. Today, the company is announcing a new milestone: Since 2015, it has installed a worldwide total of a gigawatt-hour of energy storage–technology that is critical for using renewable energy at scale. For comparison, that’s nearly half of the entire amount of energy storage installed globally last year."

Exclusive: Tesla has installed a truly huge amount of energy storage

Porsche halts new vehicle sales in Europe to adjust to new emissions standards

"Porsche vehicles that are fully compliant with the new emissions standards [...] are expected to be unavailable until around March 2019."

"According to the German publication, legacy automakers BMW and Volkswagen have also halted the sale of some of their offerings. BMW, for one, has stopped the sale of the BMW 7-Series, BMW X5, and the BMW M3."

They are losing to Tesla in the US, and now they stopped selling key vehicles in their other profitable market, Europe, so their profitability will take hits in 2H18. Their next best move would be to stop selling ICE and focus solely on electric vehicles, but I guess they would rather poison us.

Last edited:
"Tesla, it’s been said, is less a car company than a battery company that sells cars. Today, the company is announcing a new milestone: Since 2015, it has installed a worldwide total of a gigawatt-hour of energy storage–technology that is critical for using renewable energy at scale. For comparison, that’s nearly half of the entire amount of energy storage installed globally last year."

microgid Ta'u, battery with windfam in Australia, PV + Battery in Hawai'i/Kaua'i. Southern California, projects in Puerto Rico!!!! what gets said today at meeting about Tesla Energy?

Thank you for posting this. Summarized it for Twitter here: ValueAnalyst on Twitter

Reactions: DragonWatch
Status
Not open for further replies.