Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, of course, IF you solve the vision 100%, you don't need Lidar. But there is that big IF.
You have to, or else you have to keep the driver engaged.

The view of LIDAR as a crutch/distraction is, I think valid.

Although, using LIDAR to calibrate depth perception of a camera array would not be a distraction. Would likely accelerate FSD.

Cross training Can accelerate the speed of convergence.

One thing mentioned at the recent Shareholders Meeting that has me puzzled:

Elon talked about the next-generation supercharging coming around end of year, and that the plan involves solar canopies and battery storage for ultimately close to all supercharger locations.

Question: if the superchargers are transitioned to be running off solar power stored in batteries (with excess power theoretically sold at profit back to grid), then why would Tesla owners still have to pay for supercharging? Seems like electricity ought to be free at that point, and any costs could be offset by excess solar sold to grid.

Question: if the superchargers are transitioned to be running off solar power stored in batteries (with excess power theoretically sold at profit back to grid), then why would Tesla owners still have to pay for supercharging? Seems like electricity ought to be free at that point, and any costs could be offset by excess solar sold to grid.
The infrastructure isn't free. Tesla needs to get paid to recoup it's investment.

I hope this talk past dialog ends soon. Perhaps it’s a combination. A few thousand homeowners small hotels, hospitals and government agencies. So maybe 50-50 ad hoc vs big project govt.
doesn’t sem like an either or situation.

Don't big government sponsored infrastructure initiatives usually get announced?? Especially since the population holds the gov't responsible for allowing the electric generation on the island to remain imported fuel based and unreliable in the years leading up to the hurricane? That would be like a bridge ribbon cutting event with no politicians attending!
The link you posted didn't seem to say much concrete about PR gov't sponsoring/working with TE on projects already underway.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
In Blink by Malcom Gladwell, some years ago, I read a story that stuck with me. One chapter deals with Chicago’s Cook County Hospital, and it’s adherence to Goldman’s algorithm for diagnosing chest pain. Gladwell writes:

One of the stories I tell in “Blink” is about the Emergency Room doctors at Cook County Hospital in Chicago. That’s the big public hospital in Chicago, and a few years ago they changed the way they diagnosed heart attacks. They instructed their doctors to gather less information on their patients: they encouraged them to zero in on just a few critical pieces of information about patients suffering from chest pain–like blood pressure and the ECG–while ignoring everything else, like the patient’s age and weight and medical history. And what happened? Cook County is now one of the best places in the United States at diagnosing chest pain.

You can find story like this (and the cognitive science behind it) in the works of Daniel Kahneman (I suggest Thinking fast and slow) or even Nate Silver's The Signal and the Noise: sometimes, as they say, less is more.

I decided that, for me, the key question I need to ask myself about the most recurrent bear thesis¹ is: where are incumbents taking their batteries?

Because batteries are the single-point-of-falilure (or success) about the whole EV thing. No batteries, no EVs. You need a lot of them to challenge Tesla. So, my question to you is:
  • is this a right key question? Am I missing something?
  • do you see any incumbent that is really working well regarding batteries and might be a decent competitor to Tesla?

¹ In short: Tesla won't be able to pull up an "iPhone"; incumbents won't be Nokia; they know manufacturing way better and will crush Tesla when they are ready.

The infrastructure isn't free. Tesla needs to get paid to recoup it's investment.

Sure, but wouldn’t excess solar power sold back to the grid pay for the infrastructure and then some? Also, Elon once talked about this at length years ago when Supercharging was initially rolled out. And TMCers at the time believed it could be a big moneymaker for Tesla. If such a scenario pans out, I don’t see why owners would still need to be charged for electricity.

• Funny
Reactions: MP3Mike
One thing mentioned at the recent Shareholders Meeting that has me puzzled:

Elon talked about the next-generation supercharging coming around end of year, and that the plan involves solar canopies and battery storage for ultimately close to all supercharger locations.

Because solar power is not free. If you amortize the cost of solar panels and inverters and their installation, solar power costs around $0.10 per kWh.

Also, there is significant costs in equipment for the SC itself as well as Maintenace costs.

Sure, but wouldn’t excess solar power sold back to the grid pay for the infrastructure and then some? Also, Elon once talked about this at length years ago when Supercharging was initially rolled out. And TMCers at the time believed it could be a big moneymaker for Tesla. If such a scenario pans out, I don’t see why owners would still need to be charged for electricity.

If you are using the solar power for car charging you have no excess to sell back. In addition, small solar sites cost to produce electricity (taking into account cost of solar panels, install, etc.) is more than what you would get if you sold the power to the utility. You would be losing money.

If you are using the solar power for car charging you have no excess to sell back. In addition, small solar sites cost to produce electricity (taking into account cost of solar panels, install, etc.) is more than what you would get if you sold the power to the utility. You would be losing money.

Amazing how folks have forgotten the discussion that went on right in this TMC forum several years ago, where the consensus was that it was eminently possible to make a profit from selling the excess Supercharger solar electricity back to the grid. Many superchargers outside of major population areas like California have very little traffic, maybe one or two cars per hour, while the sun is beating down the whole time, and the battery would get full pretty quickly.

Here's Elon in May 2013: Tesla Planning Grid Storage As Part Of Supercharger Expansion

• Helpful
Reactions: SunCatcher
Amazing how folks have forgotten the discussion that went on right in this TMC forum several years ago, where the consensus was that it was eminently possible to make a profit from selling the excess Supercharger solar electricity back to the grid. Many superchargers outside of major population areas like California have very little traffic, maybe one or two cars per hour, while the sun is beating down the whole time, and the battery would get full pretty quickly.

So are you saying that Tesla shouldn't charge at those lightly used sites if Solar is sufficient, but continue to charge elsewhere? (Making the experience inconsistent, and maybe even driving demand to places that wouldn't normally have it.) I think they should charge everywhere, but the price should be adjusted based on their total costs. (Which is what I understand they have said they are doing.)

Reactions: Lhan
Status
Not open for further replies.