Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great to see an excellent review from Motor Trend! In another reflection of the media onslaught of negativity towards Tesla, when I search for Tesla News on Google, I can't find ANY model 3 reviews listed. It's 99% negative headlines primarily about how desperate Tesla is getting due to running low on cash. Check it out:

View attachment 319840
.. and this is what all the bots on Wall Street are seeing too, right? Media manipulation at its finest it would appear.

Dan

Reactions: neroden
ValueAnalyst on Twitter

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 6.43.30 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: hobbes
Ok...all you folks who said that Tesla's stock will be back Today.

Where are you hiding?

This stock plunge is NOT funny.
What is funny is anyone seriously believing following day predictions are going to happen as predicted.
Will TSLA be up or down tomorrow?
It's almost guaranteed. But what direction and how much?

How will I know when Tesla is worried about its cash position?

If during the rest of this year Tesla starts shipping expensive models to Europe and Asia and it stops shipping long-range RWD to the US, then (and only then) will I be worried about Tesla.

Tesla could easily open up Europe and Asia to the high-performance versions and make a hell of a lot of money. They currently are not doing that because they want to maximize the number of people in the US that get the full $7500 tax rebate. I hope he ships the short range version before he opens up the world to the high-priced model. I don't think he'll go that far, but I can hope!

I don't think they'll start shipping, but I fully expect them to open orders in Europe around December for 1st shipments in January. Then leave Short Range for the US for PR and make money in Europe for another positive Q. And European deposits potentially helping Q4 bottom line a bit.

Somewhat related to Tesla company prospects going forward, so I'll post a link here for those interested:

A bit short on technical content, though they do provide numbers for the various Ultra Capacitor packages they produce. The guy being interviewed gives a good synopsis in the beginning concerning why Ultra Capacitor storage banks are very compatible with batteries. They provide the capability to capture the 5-10 second braking energy, and then pump it out for the following 5-10 second acceleration burst. Saving the battery the wear and tear of doing that, and prolonging battery life.

No mention of cost that I recall, so unclear whether these could/will start showing up in passenger cars anytime soon. I would imagine that if these became powerful enough, weighed less, and cost wasn't prohibitive, that some EVs would start incorporating them. Seems like it would be a good acquisition for a car company should one produce a compelling product.

The one application they mentioned that was their "killer app" was for shipyard cranes that did nothing all day but lift and drop large containers off ships. The dropping fills the capacitor, and the energy saved does the lifting. They did mention how much was saved by the company doing this, but I forget the number.

I followed the EESTOR story for a while, but they seem to have fizzled out. Also owned Maxwell Technologies (MXWL) from an acquisition angle, though their stock has languished for several years now.

RT

I'm guessing this high rate is affected by the stockpiled cars from q2. I highly doubt they are doing 6k+ Production and instead, around 4.5-5k. this is from historical perspective not inside knowledge.

If the undelivered cars affected what Bloomberg is seeing it would have altered the rate at the beginning of July not the end.

Volvo Cars IPO draws lower valuations in initial feedback, report says

"Select institutional investors have indicated the Swedish carmaker is worth about $12 billion to $18 billion in early meetings to discuss an initial public offering, the people said, asking not to be named as the deliberations are confidential. China’s Zhejiang Geely and Volvo Cars had discussed a value of $16 billion to $30 billion, people familiar with the matter said in May.

Daimler, which has dropped about 17 percent so far this year, is trading at about 6.13 times earnings, while BMW trades at about 6 times, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. A valuation of $12 billion for Volvo would imply the automaker is being valued at about 7.5 times 2017 operating income."

I hope he ships the short range version before he opens up the world to the high-priced model. I don't think he'll go that far, but I can hope!

That seems greedy. Usually you don't wait for multiple years to ship a product to other markets, like with the S and X before, both were sold in EU less than a year after production start. Maybe we should ask our politicians here to cut short the time our incentives last just to get Tesla to send the Model 3 here earlier?

If the undelivered cars affected what Bloomberg is seeing it would have altered the rate at the beginning of July not the end.

Which opens up the related question : where then are all the deliveries? Elon said they hit US 6 000 deliveries in a week. That's really not that high if your US bound production is more or less 5 000 and you had 14 000 cars in transit. Especially since Tesla is paying interest on asset backed loans and every penny it can invest now multiplies revenues later so cash generation is king.

Which opens up the related question : where then are all the deliveries? Elon said they hit US 6 000 deliveries in a week. That's really not that high if your US bound production is more or less 5 000 and you had 14 000 cars in transit. Especially since Tesla is paying interest on asset backed loans and every penny it can invest now multiplies revenues later so cash generation is king.

On the way ...

A car enthusiast would get a Model 3 AWD (same interior size) over an I-Pace every single time, unless they want to make a ton of trade offs for the hatch.
We don't know that yet. Maybe. Evo didn't test drive Model 3 yet.
Type of enthusiast I am, and am talking about would care a lot more about steering, malleability of drive line at the edge of traction, how car responds to the input at high speed, understeer/oversteer balance etc...
I'd trust Evo over anyone else on this.
Niche market for sure though, but market non-the-less...

• Informative
Reactions: skitown

Bloomberg is predicting production, not deliveries, of 6k Model 3s in two weeks. Then it takes a couple of weeks to deliver.

Bloomberg is predicting production, not deliveries, of 6k Model 3s in two weeks. Then it takes a couple of weeks to deliver.

They probably also have the Nomura Instinet report used in this article as a source, sounds about the same:

Our supply chain checks in Taiwan and Korea indicate that Tesla is currently procuring Model 3 parts at a rate of over 6,000 per week (these parts include: temperature management solutions, wiring harnesses, brake cams, gears, and axles)

Buy Tesla shares for the coming 'step-function up' in sales: Instinet

Status
Not open for further replies.