Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some information about a test drive in Germany with the I-Pace. They did a test drive and had a Jag representative on board. Charging at Inonity where a Porsche technician was present to help with issues they had. S followed on the same road.

Its all in German so here is the summary:

The I-Pace consumed 25% more energy than an X and 44,5% more than an S on the same track!

Charging at Inonity charger was about 20% below speed what Jag did promise. From 11% to 80% in 45 minutes (56 kWh). Jag said the car will do 80% in 40 minutes. In average 72 Kwh loading instead of expected 100 kwh.

Range about 281 km versus the promised 400km. German Autobahn with 130 km/h leads to a range of 232 - 270 km. Just to compare: a test with the 3 on a German Autobahn with 120 km/h is 450 km and 150 km/h speed has given a range of 315 km.

Thats a range difference of 169 km!

Considering the price tag I am not sure how this car I had high hope with can compete with Tesla.

I did strongly hope we have a first car in production that can play in the same field but after listening to this video from a very down to earth and conservative blogger I do have strong doubts.

Evo magazine liked the car, so it will appeal to car-enthusiasts. That's the only car magazine i still read, reference material if one truly cares about driving. So for enthusiast that can live with range limitations, this is a decent choice. It doesn't have to be better in many categories...

Reactions: sundaymorning
Evo magazine liked the car, so it will appeal to car-enthusiasts. That's the only car magazine i still read, reference material if one truly cares about driving. So for enthusiast that can live with range limitations, this is a decent choice. It doesn't have to be better in many categories...
A car enthusiast would get a Model 3 AWD (same interior size) over an I-Pace every single time, unless they want to make a ton of trade offs for the hatch.

I quantified it a while ago, but I've totally forgotten. I'll try again.

The biggest S&P index fund is about $266 billion, and the others sum up to about the same amount; closet indexers may double that or may not, so let's assume not.

$266 billion * 2 / $23 trillion S&P market cap = 2.3% (maybe 4.6% if you include closet indexers)

S&P is market cap weighted, so the percentage of Tesla shares the funds have to buy is about that percentage of Tesla's market cap. So 2.3% - 4.6% of the shares. Less than the Tencent purchase, but significant.

I saw somewhere mentioned ~2 trillion dollars on S&P index funds. I think 2~3T makes sense. I would be surprised if the purchase from index funds doesn't amount to 10~15% of Tesla's shares. Take a snap of it's shareholder composition and size, then compare it with the updated shareholder lists, quarter by quarter. This would be a fun exercise.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Tesla shares drop after embarrassing memo leaks

I just cancelled my Guardian subscription.
That PoS article selectively only quotes one paragraph, leaves out the rest. It did not even give a link to Tesla's response

In a statement released on Monday, Tesla added: “Negotiation is a standard part of the procurement process, and now that we’re in a stronger position with Model 3 production ramping, it is a good time to improve our competitive advantage in this area.

• Informative
Reactions: Nathan and neroden
yes. not only that, there’s an abundance of searchable material regarding supp chain negotiation - i posted a decent one form HBR on the WSJ thread, but given it’s importance i’ll post here as well
How to Negotiate with Powerful Suppliers

point being wsj could’ve posted the story objectively. they chose not to. they chose to spin it. they chose to engage in manipulation and misinformation.
jokes aside, can WSJ get investigated by SEC and and potentially get capped? this is class A total BS.

Many years ago, my thought processes evolved to where the first thing I do upon reading or hearing something from the media is to try to figure out how something could be getting twisted to say something 180 degrees off of the real truth. And more specifically, how they could do that without actually saying something that but they couldn't weasel their way out of later (i.e., politician speak). Nowadays, they don't even seem to bother with plausible deniability.

I'm glad to be able to go to TMC to keep up on my TSLA news, not sure where else you can go without hitting a real agenda. Totay's CNN Money page has 5 Anti-Tesla/Anti-Musk articles all at once, fortunately, no need to click on any of them:
1. "Tesla's real problem is it's scramble for cash"
2. "Tesla's CEO tweets, stock tumbles"
3. "Is this the real Elon Musk"
4. "24% of Tesla Model 3 orders have been cancelled, analyst says"
5. "Musk's tweets distract from his mission, says tech analyst"

At the rate of growth this week in FUD articles on CNN, Elon will catch up to Trump by the end of the month.
"Tesla's CEO tweets, stock tumbles" has 0 mention of tweets in it! amazing :( i only clicked because someone i know was asking me about wtf is up with tesla and sourced this article.

jokes aside, can WSJ get investigated by SEC and and potentially get capped? this is class A total BS.
They weren't investigated for making libelous accusations of murder with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. As Vince Foster wrote, "The WSJ editors lie without consequence". They're criminals but nobody's willing to prosecute them.

They weren't investigated for making libelous accusations of murder with absolutely no evidence whatsoever. As Vince Foster wrote, "The WSJ editors lie without consequence". They're criminals but nobody's willing to prosecute them.

I did write a longer mail today to FAZ a major German newspaper regarded as highly conservative and anti Fake News asking to stop writing about any article WSJ publishes around Tesla as they are evidentially false. Have given them prove and only can hope that they return back to decent reporting about Tesla.

The more of us doing that and claiming we only come back as a subscriber if they return to decent work the more likely it is it makes a difference.

Today marks the one year anniversary of the expiry of the infamous '6 months definitely' promise with regards to the first full self driving features. Yes, that tweet was 18 months ago.
Well, anyone who knew the technology (which apparently doesn't even include all the people working on it) knew that full self-driving was a very long way away. This is one case in which Elon's optimism was not grounded in reality, and I said so well in advance.

Well, anyone who knew the technology (which apparently doesn't even include all the people working on it) knew that full self-driving was a very long way away. This is one case in which Elon's optimism was not grounded in reality, and I said so well in advance.
Many scientists have predicted that fusion energy would power the world in 20 years. Many 20 years have past. So that makes them all lyers?

Status
Not open for further replies.