Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one who thinks there's a solid possibility the "surprise" is something other than the next-gen Roadster, which isn't a surprise?

Tesla is bringing a ‘surprise’ car to Grand Basel’s selective ‘automotive masterpieces’ show

Poll: ValueAnalyst on Twitter

What do you think it is?

Speculating for fun- it might be a very limited "collectors" edition vehicle. Because of the following reasons:
  • The type of the show (from spending literally 2min on their website)
  • It must be a very high margin vehicle, or a vehicle that will draw a lot of attention from "collectors" (that are usually also very rich and can possibly invest in TSLA)
  • The car can't be a model that will be mass produced, because right now TSLA can't manage to produce enough
  • It is not a huge "investment". It doesn't have to be super performance car (Model S type performance "only"), so the ascent will be put on design. I can imagine Franz doing it as a "bonus project for him" with total freedom to express himself (without considering easy of production, etc.)
  • The Roadster 2 is "old news". SpaceX Package version is purely performance oriented (so no "real" visual difference with the "regular" one), while the type of the show appears to be more towards aesthetics.

• Informative
Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
This show is about ultra premium vehicles.

My guess is a special edition Roadster or the Founder's Edition Roadster ?

That will be visually distinctive.
How about the new Roadster with fully functioning thrusters? Just a joke, but it would still be cool.
The thrusters would have to function longer than Howard Stark's car in the "The First Avenger" movie.

• Disagree
Reactions: 22522
Am I the only one who thinks there's a solid possibility the "surprise" is something other than the next-gen Roadster, which isn't a surprise?

Tesla is bringing a ‘surprise’ car to Grand Basel’s selective ‘automotive masterpieces’ show

Poll: ValueAnalyst on Twitter

I’m guessing, like others, it will be some sort of special edition of the roadster. Only other thing I can think of is a demo of the next refresh of the model S, although unlikely.

Was wondering whatever happened to Diamurd O'Connel, he was a behind the scenes guy but was pretty instrumental in laying the foundation and opening doors at Tesla. Fair Hires Former Tesla Executive Diarmuid O'Connell as Chief Strategy Officer Ahead of National Launch

"Fair is working with hundreds of dealers throughout California alone, has raised significant debt and equity capital, and entered into several notable strategic alliances to help scale its model nationwide. Earlier this year, it acquired the Xchange Leasing portfolio from Uber and became Uber's exclusive long-term vehicle partner in the U.S. for drivers seeking access for 30 days or longer. Fair also acquired certain assets of vehicle-delivery app, Skurt, as part of its plan to quickly scale a cost-effective platform for vehicle delivery, pick-up and fleet management."

Makes me wonder if Tesla will end up working with Uber or Fair, especially if they end up having the best/cheapest self-driving system.

Trying to figure out what Tesla could show. What upper segments are not covered yet by Tesla?
  • Open car
  • Luxurious truck like a Hummer
  • Motorhome
  • Electric boat
  • Electric plane (although Musk seems not to like to promote private transport with planes)
It will probably be something completely different though.

Apparently one bottleneck at the moment is delivering 3s to customers and adding more personnel and centres to address it requires more OPEX. So I thought, why not send some 3s to Europe. It would not need new opex that much. Some 10 000 3s could easily (I think) be distributed all over Europe. Tesla could completely empty model 3 delivery pipeline to Europe.

But then I realised, NA Model 3s are not compatible with european superchargers. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.