Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not so sure it is this chaotic. I have 2nd delivery scheduled for Sept 27th. VIN assigned on the 20th as expected. Several follow up calls from the Tesla rep to make sure everything is in order. From my perspective they are being pretty thorough to be sure the delivery is not missed. Actually much more followup than on my first Model 3 delivery in the spring. Let see how it goes on the 27th!

Although, I am a little concerned about the inventory cars given people are still waiting for ordered cars. Given the limited configurations you would think they could match these to orders.

My P3D+ delivered today (Springfield NJ) on schedule. Uneventful. Was there for no more than 30 mins. A lot of people and cars there but seemed well organized. The car appears perfect. Recently built with 09/2018 build tag. No issues.

Tesla is bringing Model 3 to Paris Motor Show, inviting French reservation holders

Ackbar-its-a-trap.gif
I live in Paris, I have a reservation number and did not put a deposit. I know $TSLAQ will go bankwupt any time soon, sooooo it must be a trap indeed!

• Funny
Reactions: Intl Professor
Well, Elon called it:

Previously from NYT/BI:

Now — in the wake of his Twitter announcement that he was considering taking Tesla private at $420 per share — Musk is preparing for "at least a few months of extreme torture from the short-sellers, who are desperately pushing a narrative that will possibly restyle in Tesla's destruction," he told the paper.

(I think that is supposed to be result, not restyle...)

• Informative
Reactions: Boomer19
What are the chances that Elon takes Tesla private now?
And what are the chances he kinda knew about this in advance, and is somehow prepared?

Today really sucks.

Bright side:
TSLA was up from previous drop before this, so we are mostly back where we were in the dip.

An opening at 10% below the previous close triggers the uptick rule. No price lowering shorting allowed till Tuesday.

Sunday is end of quarter. Tesla can release quarterly delivery numbers (within a day's accuracy) Monday pre-open.

• Informative
Reactions: ev-enthusiast
Quoting myself from Aug 12th below...

Well, he didn't get shot, they're just trying to fire him so hang in there dude. Saw your tweet today EM, and I'd be "disappointed" as well. I just bought 50 shares at 270 at the close as a show of my support. I'm a believer, but also read the filing (mostly) and ya he's in a bind and jumped the gun, but the company is just fine. In fact (I'm sure it's been said) SpaceX is skyrocketing with their CEO. I've read the arguments in past months on how putting someone else at the helm would help the company. Probably just another troll position and doubt they'll say "oh I'm all in now that EM's out..." But after reading 9.0 updates and watching cars stream out record numbers, my outlook was very bullish so I was holding for higher. If anything, Elon will shrug it, fight it, then come back even stronger. We're not giving up on you or the mission, no matter what role you play. It's too important.

Short-shorts taunting going too far?"

Trust me, I've been laughing the whole time on this topic. But this morning, after reading multiple Elon tweets on Short-shorts, I imagined the tortoise doing a dance before the finish line which didn't feel like the ideal story ending. Something felt wrong.

I don't think we've won yet, the mission continues, and during this strategic inflection point (to quote Andy Grove) the actions of Wall Street could throw a curveball because they can make their own rules as they have in the past. If nothing else, this taunting emboldens the opposition to fight even harder and it's getting personal, adding to polarization in society much like the Trump era we're in. It's similar because it's our own neighbors hating in both cases, and may be translating to EV vs ICE in hateful ways.

I can see someone losing his/her shirt (deservedly so) but then making a point to shoot Elon - in part because he participated on a personal level and didn't take the higher ground. The fact that this possibility exists, along with an earthquake or a takeover, is what concerns me.

I say we focus on the issues and look at the Shorts as an unhealthy, misinformed crowd following a few bad actors. Go ahead, unlike me, then ask yourself if this joy is helping or hurting the mission? I answered that question this morning. I encourage people to think EV and how wonderful our Model 3 is, not bash them for thinking in the past or make fun of their oil fever.

Reactions: Ugliest1
There aren't enough eyes to roll at all the sycophants needlessly defending a billionaire. The SEC investigated, they feel they have grounds to sue (and presumably win) Elon. His twitter use was out of control when this was happening, and this is the result.

Now, the remaining question for me is how much Elon discussed his plan with key members of the board. The SEC's press conference didn't offer much in the way of evidence, and their narrative was slightly confusing to me. They suggest he did discuss his idea to some degree with the board, and he did discuss financing to some degree with them and the Saudi permanent wealth fund. To what level he would need to discuss these things before actually taking the company private, and to what degree he would need to firm these plans up before publically saying "I'm thinking of..." also needs to be answered.

It does seem like at the very least, NASDAQ is annoyed because they require prior notice.

There aren't enough eyes to roll at all the sycophants needlessly defending a billionaire.

You couldn't possibly be rolling your eyes I my comment just before yours. If so, you completely missed my point. I was in fact warning that the motivation was getting too personal back in Aug. which played a role here in his possible intent to burn shorts.

It also doesn't mean I wouldn't want him to continue in his role as CEO (and Chair of Ethics in Washington if there were such a position). You get what you get, and as a package, company, and product, it's amazing.

But does that even apply here? I ask since it was Elon that made the announcement not Tesla. Would I have to notify them in advance if I was going to announce that I was thinking about buying Tesla?

Looks like it company, not individual based.
Elon the person vs Elon the CEO.

IM-5250-1. Disclosure of Material Information

Rule 5250(b)(1) requires that, except in unusual circumstances, Nasdaq Companies disclose promptly to the public through any Regulation FD compliant method (or combination of methods) of disclosure any material information that would reasonably be expected to affect the value of their securities or influence investors' decisions. Nasdaq Companies must notify Nasdaq at least ten minutes prior to the release to the public of material information that involves any of the events set forth below when the public release of the information is made between 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 pm. ET. If the public release of the material information is made outside of 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Nasdaq Companies must notify MarketWatch of the material information prior to 6:50 a.m. ET. Under unusual circumstances Companies may not be required to make public disclosure of material events; for example, where it is possible to maintain confidentiality of those events and immediate public disclosure would prejudice the ability of the Company to pursue its legitimate corporate objectives. However, Nasdaq Companies remain obligated to disclose this information to Nasdaq upon request pursuant to Rule 5250(a).

Whenever unusual market activity takes place in a Nasdaq Company's securities, the Company normally should determine whether there is material information or news which should be disclosed. If rumors or unusual market activity indicate that information on impending developments has become known to the investing public, or if information from a source other than the Company becomes known to the investing public, a clear public announcement may be required as to the state of negotiations or development of Company plans. Such an announcement may be required, even though the Company may not have previously been advised of such information or the matter has not yet been presented to the Company's Board of Directors for consideration. In certain circumstances, it may also be appropriate to publicly deny false or inaccurate rumors, which are likely to have, or have had, an effect on the trading in its securities or would likely have an influence on investment decisions.

There aren't enough eyes to roll at all the sycophants needlessly defending a billionaire. The SEC investigated, they feel they have grounds to sue (and presumably win) Elon.
What about the sycophants needlessly defending an out of control government entity? Just because the SEC feel they have grounds to sue doesn't mean they are correct.

But does that even apply here? I ask since it was Elon that made the announcement not Tesla. Would I have to notify them in advance if I was going to announce that I was thinking about buying Tesla?

I suspect this will be discussed and clarified at NASDAQ (completely unrelated to SEC and their pending litigation). Elon being a board member does bear the responsibility of carefully choosing his language when talking about the company. Further complicating that, he's the CEO. And he's a major shareholder, though not a majority shareholder.

This is why he needs to stick to tweeting feature and development information (where & when he's allowed), and filter out the bullshit. Responding to hostile tweets, or responding to obviously planted/false stories on twitter serves him no good whatsoever. If he believes that there is a conspiracy against Tesla, he needs to bring a suit. Name names, show evidence, and win injunctions/rulings.

You couldn't possibly be rolling your eyes I my comment just before yours. If so, you completely missed my point. I was in fact warning that the motivation was getting too personal back in Aug. which played a role here in his possible intent to burn shorts.

It also doesn't mean I wouldn't want him to continue in his role as CEO (and Chair of Ethics in Washington if there were such a position). You get what you get, and as a package, company, and product, it's amazing.

I wasn't responding to you. There are a bunch of people in this thread besides yourself.

What about the sycophants needlessly defending an out of control government entity? Just because the SEC feel they have grounds to sue doesn't mean they are correct.

I don't know that I'd call the SEC and "out of control government entity". Looking at their litigations page and reading through probably half a dozen findings, lots of their cases seem to be fairly well based in facts. Having said that, they don't get 100% of the findings they ask for, and in several cases I've seen some of their points have been thrown out for lack of meaningful evidence (usually around ill-gotten gains).

But to your point, the SEC is bringing what they presumably believe is a sound case. The courts rule on their evidence, and allow Elon to present his own. This how the law works here in the US. That's not out of control, that's the very design of our system.

I wouldn't say the SEC is out of control, generally. They do a lot of investigations that are sensible. But they also ignore some flagrant things, and wrist slap others, depending on who is involved. This Tesla/Elon witch hunt was surely triggered by those who DO intend harm, and SEC clearly has no leg to stand on (they are at best, balancing on their tippy-toes, like an overweight man pretending to be a ballet dancer).

Just like how no guilty parties had any real consequences for 2008, the actual guilty parties don't even get a glance from the SEC when it comes to Tesla, instead they're trying to hang Elon. They (not the SEC, but those who caused this witch hunt to be pursued) probably hope to force a settlement that cripples Tesla, but if they expect a settlement from Elon they clearly haven't been paying attention.

I expect a lengthy court battle, likely with multiple appeals (on both sides), going for years - meanwhile Tesla will keep on crushing it as usual. At most there'll be some wink-and-nod temporary compliance if an initial finding goes against Elon where by he gets "demoted" and Kimbal or JB or someone else like that will officially take the reigns while Elon keeps on doing what he does, and then once they finally win, things will go back to the way they were.

Regardless, I am hoping some ambulance chasing lawyers will stir up a class action against the SEC so that we can all pile on board for our pound of flesh, and perhaps shake out some facts about who is pulling the SEC's strings (though that is wishful thinking).

• Informative
Reactions: RangerRick
Status
Not open for further replies.