Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, we don't know what the terms of the original settlement that he rejected actually were, just what CNBC leaked

There could've been something really poisonous in there, that he was willing to trade something to get that taken out of there.
I'm sure that's exactly what happened. Elon agreed to an extra year of not being chairman for something else being removed from the settlement.

Reactions: lklundin and mongo
I think there is a reasonable chance that demand for the S and X will increase in areas where there is a large population of Model 3, especially with a S refresh.

Some folk like to stand out, and the larger more expensive versions will help.

I thInk they should be able to execute an S refresh before the Y.

As soon as the Model 3 ramp-up (incl. deliveries w. export variants) is under control, Tesla can implement several necessary improvements to the Model S/X:
1) Make a Model S/X battery pack at GF1 using as much as possible of the 2170-cell technology,
2) Use the Model 3 power electronics, ideally allowing a charge current up to the 3's 525A (i.e. up to 210 kW),
3) Make Model S/X suitable variants of the Model 3/semi motors at GF1

This should increase the profit margin on the Model S/X, free up space at Fremont and most importantly give the Model S/X improved performance wrt. charging speed and energy capacity.

Looking at the current Model S/X RWD drive unit with its large (and now outdated) power electronics package, I have to imagine that Tesla is able to create an identically dimensioned dual-motor package, for a three-motor performance variant. This would place the Model S/X in a class significantly above the Model 3. I guess this could come a bit later.

If Franz von Holzhausen has new ideas for the Model S/X appearance, then that is naturally fine too.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Intl Professor
Those of us who bought after "the tweet" need to grab our share of settlement funds to keep it away from the shorters and options traders.
I'd love to see this backfire even more on the shorts. I doubt they pushed this because of monetary gain (in the short term), but to attempt to destroy Tesla. If any of you actually had significant losses, you should collect just to keep it out of the hands of those(or their pawns) trying to destroy Tesla.
In my case losses are only in the taxes (and shares I'll have to sell to pay for them) I'll have to pay to cover the rollover of 180 shares from my traditional IRA into my ROTH IRA.

Those of us who bought after "the tweet" need to grab our share of settlement funds to keep it away from the shorters and options traders.

On another topic, I am still expecting short attacks until Q1. Deliveries are looking right on target around 52000 Model 3s where I and luvb2b predicted.

I think 52,000 deliveries are on the conservative side at this point. Electrek says according to their source, 51,000 were produced by Friday, so we can expect something about 52,000 Model 3 production already. That is also where @Troy ´s predictions stand.And then we know there were a lot produced but not sold in Q2 to stay below 200,000 sold in the US because of tax credit. @vgrinshpun did the maths in detail here, coming up with an estimate of more than 58,000 Model 3 delivered in Q3. The truth might be somewhere in the middle, but I am sure that we should have more deliveries than production this Q.

Reactions: EinSV
And then we know there were a lot produced but not sold in Q2 to stay below 200,000 sold in the US because of tax credit.

I don't think anyone knows this. If it were true, I believe it could trigger a disqualification of the tax credit pulling it in by 1 full quarter. And if the argument was made by the IRS, Tesla would need to show a valid reason why units were held back in Q2, which can't be to avoid tax liability. (FYI, I'm just going by what was already posted and is not advice, but also makes sense.)

I have a question about where Model S\X margins might go. It seems to me naively that since S/X/3 are sharing large amounts of production capital that they split the associated depreciation costs among them. So does this leave open the possibility that the 3 actually raises S/X gross margins in this manner through sheer accounting? Any idea how much this could be?

• Helpful
Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
I literally had a dream last night about applying for the Tesla Chair position. My resume was this forum as proof of my loyalty to Master Musk. (I called him that in the dream, maybe stemming from my martial arts past, LOL). Somehow, I snuck into a board meeting but it didn't go well for me. I woke before security arrived, but I pitched it hard!

It made sense, I'd follow Robert's Rules of Order and Tesla Bylaws, and vote with Master Musk. We'd create a 5 min delay on Master tweets, and force a minimum 5 hr sleep cycle (or board review) for any bombshells.

I have a question about where Model S\X margins might go. It seems to me naively that since S/X/3 are sharing large amounts of production capital that they split the associated depreciation costs among them. So does this leave open the possibility that the 3 actually raises S/X gross margins in this manner through sheer accounting? Any idea how much this could be?

Besides the building itself what does the 3 share with the S&X?

If the average sale price this quarter is 60k$ for the model 3, and the gross margin is 15% then the gross cost is 51k$. If we assume 60% margin for all upselling packages then the implied cost for the 35k$ model working backwards would be 41k$. If we then guess marginal op.ex to deliver a car is 3k$, then Tesla has to find 9k$ in cost savings to get the 35k$ car net profitable (And also that only 50k$+ cars configs are currently profitable).

Has anyone tried to create something deeper than hand-waving about where 9k$ could come from? That's a pretty large nut. I'm hoping for upside surprise on GM.

Dana Hull seems to be back to her old (Tesla friendly) self:
Elon Musk's Volunteer Army Out in Force at Buzzing Tesla Outlets

Interesting tidbit:
Cathie Wood, the CEO of Ark Investments and a Tesla shareholder, said she learned of Musk’s settlement with the SEC while she was waiting to get her Model 3 in a jam-packed store in Westchester County, New York.

“That one store was scheduled to deliver 250 cars today, and no on minded the wait,” Wood said on Twitter. “The Model 3 is from another world!”

And there is no tax avoidance as Tesla gets no direct benefit from the tax credit.
Spitting hairs... The tactic would be in Tesla's interest (as well as the buyers) as increased sales through 3 additional months of tax credits. Not a safe position at all.

Here's just one example by lklundin, (and said by others).

I have to imagine that Tesla wanted to defer the necessary deliveries into Q3 in a manner where they would not risk that the IRS (or whichever the responsible agency) would take Tesla to court and claim that those deferred deliveries were to be counted as Q2 deliveries (with a significant impact on the tax credit, hence IRS)

Has anyone tried to create something deeper than hand-waving about where 9k$ could come from? That's a pretty large nut. I'm hoping for upside surprise on GM.

So maybe you should short it some more. (Not advice or advised.)

I say Dana is slipping.. poor quality report.

Wow, this must really hurt. Most people here are celebrating and helping out as I did Friday with two others. I would have written the same article as it captured my feelings quite well.

If you're truly this negative, I invite you to the Tesla Service Center at 2077 E University Drive Tempe, AZ 85281. Let me know when you come as I prefer this discussion face to face. You might learn a lot about the customer, branding, trust, and values.

Status
Not open for further replies.