Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be wishful thinking, but it would be great to get a report of profitability with production/delivery numbers to show how far ahead Tesla is compared to everyone else.

Electric cars cast growing shadow on profits

A carbon tax could help here, to punish those auto makers dragging their feet hoping to exact more profit from their obsolete ICE production.

I don't think anyone knows this. If it were true, I believe it could trigger a disqualification of the tax credit pulling it in by 1 full quarter. And if the argument was made by the IRS, Tesla would need to show a valid reason why units were held back in Q2, which can't be to avoid tax liability. (FYI, I'm just going by what was already posted and is not advice, but also makes sense.)
You're incorrect. The credit phaseout is specifically based on sales, not on production, and it's completely 100% legit to hold back produced cars, and not sell them, in order to affect when the credit phaseout happens.

By all accounts BMW has a really bad cost structure (why is the i3 so expensive?) so they'd better think about this!

BMW thought that they could drive down the cost of carbon fiber significantly by mass producing parts using carbon fiber reinforced plastic CFRP.

The plan was to supplement the structure of CFRP with an aluminum frame for the first generation then slowly remove much of the aluminum structure as they gain confidence in the durability and robustness of CFRP.

In effect they bet they could drive down the cost of carbon fiber faster than the battery industry could drive down the cost of batteries. Instead of spending money on more batteries BMW would spend the money on weight reduction.

BMW has admitted defeat recently by announcing they are dropping CFRP.

Also cost reduction in automotive grade aluminum alloys and high strength steels have moved so far it is more cost effective to reduce weight using the metals than carbon fiber. With few exceptions saving a little more weight using carbon fiber isn't worth the cost. Next gen GM trucks will offer carbon fiber boxes on their premium trims.

upload_2018-10-2_8-33-34.png

Monthly Plug-In Sales Scorecard

Volt passes Bolt
Clarity PHEV passes LEAF

Wonder where all the BEV buyers are going?

Chrysler Pacifica PHEV is doing well.

You're incorrect. The credit phaseout is specifically based on sales, not on production, and it's completely 100% legit to hold back produced cars, and not sell them, in order to affect when the credit phaseout happens.

I made no mention of production or sales, I said "held back." I know it's not based on production.

I was only quoting what another person on this forum suggested, which led me to believe this is a potential problem and that we should perhaps NOT state that Tesla did this intentionally as fact (which is what I was responding to here). People seem quick to kill the messenger, ~15 dislikes on this alone. I raised a concern, based on someone else's concern. What gives people?

Since someone else then stated there's no "avoidance of taxes", I maintain that Tesla and the owners would both benefit from any such delayed tactic. Do I need to explain how that would work and why Tesla wouldn't want to produce the 200th unit in the first week of any quarter, and how that would result in financial gains?

So I just read through IRC 30D. There is no mention anywhere on holding back sales in order to obtain maximum benefit in any quarter of the program. But I'm also not an attorney nor do I work for the IRS. I assume everyone here can legally tell me that the IRS can't and will not pursue argument regarding Tesla attempting to benefit in sales through owner tax credits that is not specifically spelled out in IRC 30D. I agree, it looks unlikely but people here seem to be advising way too broadly.

(Not Advice)

I made no mention of production or sales, I said "held back." I know it's not based on production.

I was only quoting what another person on this forum suggested, which led me to believe this is a potential problem and that we should perhaps NOT state that Tesla did this intentionally as fact (which is what I was responding to here). People seem quick to kill the messenger, ~15 dislikes on this alone. I raised a concern, based on someone else's concern. What gives people?

Since someone else then stated there's no "avoidance of taxes", I maintain that Tesla and the owners would both benefit from any such delayed tactic. Do I need to explain how that would work and why Tesla wouldn't want to produce the 200th unit in the first week of any quarter, and how that would result in financial gains?

So I just read through IRC 30D. There is no mention anywhere on holding back sales in order to obtain maximum benefit in any quarter of the program. But I'm also not an attorney nor do I work for the IRS. I assume everyone here can legally tell me that the IRS can't and will not pursue argument regarding Tesla attempting to benefit in sales through owner tax credits that is not specifically spelled out in IRC 30D. I agree, it looks unlikely but people here seem to be advising way too broadly.

(Not Advice)

The IRS approves each quarter's supplied by the OEMs. That is why there was no announcement by Tesla about the phase out trigger until a while after Q2 ended. If the IRS had a problem with Tesla's approach, we would know by now.
There is no issue.

Great news from Europe, too: Model X most sold car of all at 1234 units in Norway, Model S 2nd in the Netherlands at 1052! In Norway, S+X captured 19% of the whole market :eek::D (That is including ICE vehicles, too, and those are official numbers, no estimates) Can only imagine what happens when Model 3 arrives next year!

And in the process:
Tesla Outsells Volkswagen In The Netherlands In September
(this and included link to Norway is also the source for the numbers above)

Last edited:
I like basic comparisons to keep sanity at times when things move quickly or big changes are happening (like SEC issue, Model 3 sales).

E.g. knowing the market cap of Tesla during the 2013 squeeze helped me a lot.
Despite a rapidly increasing stock price at that time, Tesla market cap was still way smaller compared to other car companies.
That was one aspect that helped me keeping sanity and holding onto all my shares during the 2013 squeeze.
This overly simplifying comparison told me that for the stock there was still some room to grow.

Right now I am thinking about an estimated share price to get an idea about the trajectory TSLA is currently moving.
An approximation of the quarterly revenue can be done with the help of the annual delivery rate (calculated from the end of quarter delivery figures), estimated ASP and gross margin.
Number of shares is currently 17050600.
But, what might be a realistic multiple to apply for Tesla right now and during the next quarters (0.5 or 5.0)?

@luvb2b is still making great financial models (thanks!) q2-q4 2018 financial projections.
I borrowed his estimates for total revenue and derived an overly simplistic share price estimate (multiple = 3):
Quarter: Mar-2018 | Jun-2018 | luv q3-2018e | luv q4-2018e
Tot. revenue: 3,408,751 | 4,002,231 | 6,942,683 | 7,299,027
SP estimate: 239,889,582 | 281,655,516 | 488,588,730 | 513,666,306

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hobbes
Tesla's Board of Directors is growing out of control.

It needs to be swept clean, and have members of the Board that only have the interests of the company in mind. All of the new board members have massive conflicts of interest by being party to other companies and boards, and from many failing industries around the world, and that is toxic to Tesla (or any company).

Status
Not open for further replies.