Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the max lifecycle emissions in the 2014 IPCC report is a quarter of a CCGT

Life-cycle greenhouse-gas emissions of energy sources - Wikipedia

Do you have any other study? Otherwise I would revisit the assumption you make on nuclear, as its fortunately not true

Yes I do but this conversation does not belong here. I strongly opposed based on facts what you try to indicate though.

Longer conversation for you obviously but short conversation for me. Frankly thats not even worth the time to discuss.

Wow, ok, that escalated fast. So just like the Volkswagen CEO that would not be able to cite any studies, you have neither pointed to any study for your claim. Sometimes it’s good to look in the mirror ;)

Please PM me any study, as I would be very interested to read it since I work in the energy field!

Back on track:
Another driver for EV electrification is cost savings over gasoline. There’s a Norwegian/Swedish startup, Tibber, that, has launched software based smart charging (optimizing against wholesale prices, to e.g., benefit from surplus wind). You only need to connect to your cars API through the app, and it will automatically optimize for you - no need for a special charger!

But they’re now also selling an affordable 22 kW charger for 600-800 EUR that guarantees you a 20% saving in Norway and 50% saving in Sweden on the wholesale power price. They can do this both because of smart charging, but also partipation in frequency response markets. Based on a Swedish master thesis, I think they had almost 1000 Teslas connected this spring

I’m almost wondering if Tesla should enter the retail electricity space, as they could easily bundle this with the car sale and get a new revenue stream - although profits may only be 50-100 EUR/customer per year so not that large

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and dc_h
No, just no.This is too silly.

Wow, ok, that escalated fast. So just like the Volkswagen CEO that would not be able to cite any studies, you have neither pointed to any study for your claim. Sometimes it’s good to look in the mirror ;)

Please PM me any study, as I would be very interested to read it since I work in the energy field!.

Friends, this is a board to discuss Tesla and not Atomic energy. This is the Investor Round Table.

It simply does not belong here. If you want to, feel free to go to those boards who do it.

I won't post any PM to anybody here for the reason that I outlined and we should close that discussion.

Please respect the other members!

Appreciated

Because up to now it is cheaper to import heavy oil.

If imported oil is $400/b,gas $10/gallon, and domestic oil is >$350/b then it behooves domestic refiners to retool ASP.

Washington banning oil exports would keep domestic oil below $150/b

It would not take years. It would be expensive. As well as very profitable.

Retooling decision is more about the spread rather than the level, and WTI has been significantly cheaper than Brent since 2010; and still, we rely on heavy crude oil.

upload_2018-10-16_18-40-35.png

I can’t contribute much else to this discussion other than to say that I don’t know of any major refinery looking to retool to use light oil anytime soon. Instead, I’d rather discuss how Tesla can increase production in the most CapEx efficient way.

• Love
Reactions: GSP
Last edited:
vincent on Twitter

Breaking Update: At the signing ceremony held today, Tesla and the Shanghai Planning and Land Resources Administration formally signed the “Land Transfer Contract”, and the Tesla Shanghai Super Factory will exceed 1200 acres (over 860,000 square meters).

Conversion is wrong, or they are lumping in something else

860k m^2 is about 210 acres.
1,200 acres is about 2 square miles
Fremont is 370 acres.
GF1 is 2,864 after purchase of the optional adjacent land, almost 4.5 square miles...

Don't know where, but it was reported a couple years that the who was Samsung. Therefore, perhaps Austin, perhaps Hwaseong, Korea.

Samsung Electronics to Supply Automotive Semiconductors to Tesla

Manufacturing Centers Locations | Samsung Semiconductor Global Website
I met a person who works at Samsung chip factory in Austin. (picked him up in my car for Ride|Austin) He said Samsung Austin had recently undergone a bunch of trials to become certified for automotive chip manufacturing and they were about to start producing chips for Tesla. (he did not say what sort of chips)

The chip design center is in Bee Cave, Texas, about 20 miles west of Austin. (Jim Keller's office & team at AMD was just down the road) So it looks like it is all in the family around here.

He said Samsung Austin had recently undergone a bunch of trials to become certified for automotive chip manufacturing and they were about to start producing chips for Tesla. (he did not say what sort of chips)

This certainly does seem to fit. Thank you for this. My only hesitation in saying that Samsung Austin is the manufacturing location is that it does not manufacture on the latest 7nm process that is being introduced in Korea.

Anandtech's foundry roadmap for Samsung seems to indicate that Samsung will be introducing 7nm for foundry in the first half of next year. My uneducated guess was that Musk's "about 6 months" language was gated by the ramp-up of the 7nm process in Korea. But Tesla's AI chip may be based on the 14nm process that is in Austin. Who knows.

Samsung Foundry Roadmap: EUV-Based 7LPP for 2018, 3 nm Incoming

Just admit you made up that claim about uberdirtness of atomic energy and do not have any sources to support your assertions.

There is nothing to admit here but lets keep all non Tesla related topics away from this board.

I understand that you have a hard time to understand what I wrote but this is just not the place to explain it to you.

Sorry but accept that. There are rules here for good reasons.

This is probably in the market thread, but has everyone seen the bill to extend the EV credit to 2022? How do we lobby our congressmen and senators?

U.S. Senate bill sponsored by Nevada's Dean Heller could give Tesla, GM desired tax credit boost for electric cars — Business Insider

Call the district office or DC office of the Senator and/or Representative. Follow up with a letter of thanks and appreciation of all the attention they pay to your concerns with specifics, if you can. If you feel like it and can afford it, make a contribution to their pac—but avoid any mention of your concern in any cover letter—for the obvious reason.

Re the contribution, beware you'll get on a list and bedeviled ever after. Our rep has an annual dinner ($400 or so per seat). You'll see all the local movers and shakers there. I'll never take my wife, again. She was bored to a coma most of the time.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Status
Not open for further replies.