Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Tesla was trying to save cost.

Take it if they hired a Swedish or a German firm this would not be an issue.

Tesla is in a unique situation where they don't have a steady flow of cars and as a consequence don't have a well oiled machine shipping in parts and shipping out cars at a constant rate to all destinations.

Seat of your pant logistics have consequences.

Sounds like Tesla was trying to deliver vehicles with what was available:

I agree with JRP’s assessment much more. At the rate that Tesla is delivering, especially during end of Q rush, I would assume they’re running low on options.

I am curious how to explain the discrepancy between a straight count of VINs issued, which per @Waiting4M3's post below suggests VIN issuance rate per day more than tripled between Jan/Feb and the two weeks starting March 7, versus less than doubling suggested by your analysis.

Your Jan./early Feb. estimate of 525/week multiplied by the increased VIN issuance rate from the post below (14.2/4.5) results in an estimated production rate of ~1650/week.
My suspicion is that since the VIN# are in batches that correspond to color/wheel options, and we have seen VINs of particular color/wheel options coming out in a bunch on a same day, so the VIN# themselves may not be truly randomized vs time in order to get a good fit.

OTOH, note the spike of 36 VINs registered on 3/7, it may skew the average of VIN # registered per day in 1st 1/2 of March, erring on the high side.

I appreciate @schonelucht doing this analysis. I think 1k/wk could be a good estimate for 1st 1/2 of March. If I want to be conservative I would estimate 1st 3.5 weeks of March at 1k/wk, and last week at 1.5-2k/wk, so March production of 5-5.5k, add to Jan-Feb of 4k production, gives us ~9-9.5k production for Q1. It's a little below what I'm hoping, but it fits the trend line we see in Troy's sheet, currently intersecting 3/31/2018 at ~11,000 VIN, maybe a little above, and rising slowly as each day goes by.

The big unknown is the last week of March. Based on my reply to Mike Smith and schonelucht above regarding the VIN trend since March 19, 2k/wk could have happened since around then, but just not enough data to tell for certain.

Reactions: Reciprocity
The big unknown is the last week of March. Based on my reply to Mike Smith and schonelucht above regarding the VIN trend since March 19, 2k/wk could have happened since around then, but just not enough data to tell for certain.

Today's data further supports a 2k/wk+ run rate. All data points are above Troy's trend line.

This is what the post 3/19 period extrapolate to using current data (mine is slightly stale from last night). The linear fit is the maroon solid line, it's clearly not realistic since it predicts a 5k/wk rate. I also hand-drew in a 2k/wk line (green dash) just to see what it looks like. I think it's possible that it could fit. I agree that we need next week's data to be able to tell.

View attachment 288985

Why is it “clearly not realistic” that it predicts a 5k/wk rate?

This is what the post 3/19 period extrapolate to using current data (mine is slightly stale from last night). The linear fit is the maroon solid line, it's clearly not realistic since it predicts a 5k/wk rate. I also hand-drew in a 2k/wk line (green dash) just to see what it looks like. I think it's possible that it could fit. I agree that we need next week's data to be able to tell.

View attachment 288985
Unrealistic, but it would be awesome.

Reactions: 2virgule5
Because that would be similar to shorts saying Tesla's cash spend is going to drive them to bankruptcy within the next year. Just because data can be interpreted in a certain way doesn't mean it's realistic or right. :confused:

“Clearly not realistic” suggests there’s a data point that disproves it. If Grohmann lines are in and ramping quicker and more smoothly than expectations, in-line with @avoigt ‘s post on the subject, and combined with the manuautomated line possibly at 1,500/wk to 2,000/wk, 5,000/wk soon is not out of the realm of possibility. I’m not saying it’s likely, but it’s not “clearly not realistic” either.

Reactions: mongo
“Clearly not realistic” suggests there’s a data point that disproves it. If Grohmann lines are in and ramping quicker and more smoothly than expectations, in-line with @avoigt ‘s post on the subject, and combined with the manuautomated line possibly at 1,500/wk to 2,000/wk, 5,000/wk soon is not out of the realm of possibility. I’m not saying it’s likely, but it’s not “clearly not realistic” either.

Elon said they require not only the new Grohmann line, but also the new parts delivery system which is being installed during Q2 at Freemont in order to reach 5k/wk.

“Clearly not realistic” suggests there’s a data point that disproves it.
That datapoint is Elon predicting 5K/week not occurring until June, which is 3 months from now, maybe 6. :p

On a serious note, that dataset is such a small time frame and the data points are so spread out that the only real conclusion I think you can come up with is "higher than before." If you calculate the R squared value it would show this I bet.

Elon said they require not only the new Grohmann line, but also the new parts delivery system which is being installed during Q2 at Freemont in order to reach 5k/wk.

I don't recall anything being said about a new parts delivery system being installed in Q2. Can you post a link? What I specifically recall is Elon stating on the last conference call that they had 2 known bottlenecks. Pack assembly which we all have went back and forth about 1000 times. And the conveyance system you reference. I do not recall anything specific being said about this system and surely nothing about it being installed next quarter. Any info you could provide would be helpful.

Reactions: kbM3
I don't recall anything being said about a new parts delivery system being installed in Q2. Can you post a link? What I specifically recall is Elon stating on the last conference call that they had 2 known bottlenecks. Pack assembly which we all have went back and forth about 1000 times. And the conveyance system you reference. I do not recall anything specific being said about this system and surely nothing about it being installed next quarter. Any info you could provide would be helpful.

From the Q4 earnings call transcript:

'The next constraint would be material conveyance at our Fremont vehicle plant, so there's a very sophisticated automated parts conveyance system. We think it's probably the most sophisticated in the world, or at least we're not aware of one that is more so, and the software for that is quite complex. So that would be the next constraint on production to get to 5,000 is the conveyance system in Fremont. So that also appears to be on track. So, we feel like the error bars around the unit volume predictions are getting smaller with each passing week.'

If he's saying it's a constraint to getting to 5000, which isn't expected until the end of Q2, and it's 'on track', he's saying it won't be ready until the end of Q2.

That datapoint is Elon predicting 5K/week not occurring until June, which is 3 months from now, maybe 6. :p

On a serious note, that dataset is such a small time frame and the data points are so spread out that the only real conclusion I think you can come up with is "higher than before." If you calculate the R squared value it would show this I bet.
R^2 is 0.25 for linear fit using VINs from 3/7-24, and 0.26 for VINs from 3/19-24, both are very inconclusive. I would remain cautiously optimistic that 2k/wk looks possible but for sure I wouldn't make short term bet based on that.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Why is it “clearly not realistic” that it predicts a 5k/wk rate?
It's a strong personal feeling of mine that Tesla won't be doing 5k/wk this coming week based on everything that I've heard. Please don't parse my comments like it's coming from Elon. I don't feel like discussing 5k/wk at end of March is useful, it's rather argumentative and annoying. Please stop.

I am curious how to explain the discrepancy between a straight count of VINs issued, which per @Waiting4M3's post below suggests VIN issuance rate per day more than tripled between Jan/Feb and the two weeks starting March 7, versus less than doubling suggested by your analysis.

Your Jan./early Feb. estimate of 525/week multiplied by the increased VIN issuance rate from the post below (14.2/4.5) results in an estimated production rate of ~1650/week.

One reason could be that Troy also started to post about the spreadsheet on Reddit and not just here. Increased exposure meant more submissions? Yet another could be that there are more VIN gaps in de first series.

it's rather argumentative and annoying. Please stop.

If you’re annoyed by arguing to find the truth, this is not the place for you. You should be seeking people to argue against you so that you can straighten thoughts and thanking them, instead of telling them to stop.

Lets have Tesla meet guidance before going too far in assuming that they have exceeded it

Nobody is “assuming” Tesla exceeded guidance; in fact, I specifically and explicitly stated that it was not likely, but it was also not an impossibility, as the OP had implied.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo
From the Q4 earnings call transcript:

'The next constraint would be material conveyance at our Fremont vehicle plant, so there's a very sophisticated automated parts conveyance system. We think it's probably the most sophisticated in the world, or at least we're not aware of one that is more so, and the software for that is quite complex. So that would be the next constraint on production to get to 5,000 is the conveyance system in Fremont. So that also appears to be on track. So, we feel like the error bars around the unit volume predictions are getting smaller with each passing week.'

If he's saying it's a constraint to getting to 5000, which isn't expected until the end of Q2, and it's 'on track', he's saying it won't be ready until the end of Q2.

It does seem incredibly unlikely that Tesla could basically go 4x production speed in a fortnight. Even if the new battery module line was miraculously completed ahead of Elon's ever tight deadlines, and the additional production could be shipped to Fremont in time, and every single other part has an additional couple of weeks inventory lying around, and it could somehow be correctly put in place without the conveyance system up and running then the staff would still have to be able to do 4x the workload on the back end (QC, administration, vehicle storage, etc), which seems rather unlikely.

Reactions: Jonathan Hewitt
Status
Not open for further replies.