Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I could take a brief moment to inappropriately overgeneralize and insult all journalists, there was a lot of science in that podcast. Journalists are the type that flunk physics but get an A in extracurricular activities, so they’re gonna focus on what they understand.

See? Told ya it was inappropriate and insulting.

You know, I was going to offer something similar but thought better of it because there are those who would think I was insulting others for their lack of intelligence and focus on ego (in print) or coiffure (on TV) without much effort to understand the person or the subject they report on. Being first, you get to take the heat and I will be regarded as one who just piles on.

You sometimes have to
If I could take a brief moment to inappropriately overgeneralize and insult all journalists, there was a lot of science in that podcast. Journalists are the type that flunk physics but get an A in extracurricular activities, so they’re gonna focus on what they understand.

See? Told ya it was inappropriate and insulting.

Well I guess who flunked physics is always a matter of perspective 2:10
Murray Gell-Mann (probably the most, or one of the most, accomplished physicist of the second half of the century) : "Feynmann of course, as usual, put it in a form so that the common people could use it. Experimentalists all over the world now thought that they understood things because Feynman had put it in such simple language for them." 2:10

rolf

• Funny
Reactions: neroden
Elon should make Alex Roy VP of Communications!
Alex should get a permanent blacklist from Tesla. Comparing Elon to Trump, even if it is satire, is just disgusting and handing it to the shorts & resorting to the same click bait media tactics.

Rather than Elon, it is Alex who has become erratic, handing over column space to that Needymeyer guy.

Alex should get a permanent blacklist from Tesla. Comparing Elon to Trump, even if it is satire, is just disgusting and handing it to the shorts & resorting to the same click bait media tactics.

Rather than Elon, it is Alex who has become erratic, handing over column space to that Needymeyer guy.

Even if it is satire? It says so in the tags over the "letter". It's a great piece of comedy. The shorts are all hoping it is real and are disappointed it isn't, the fan boys are hurt as well so that's a win-win in my book.

Reactions: davecolene0606

A big german car magazine got an exclusive close look at the Roadster 2 when it was on Basel and it should be on the cover of their next print issue. Wow, this car is beautiful.

For those of you who don't speak German:

This is a very positive review for a media that has a history of bashing Tesla where they can. They are very impressed about the design and elements as well as about the specs he talked about. They confirmed it is a very unique car.

Its been a picture session for an article and the full report is yet to be release. Obviously they could not making pictures from inside. Still a lot of very interesting design elements can be seen that has not been visible before.

As Elon said, there is a halo effect of fast supercars and I understand fully this approach to make the ICEs look like last century. Given the unbelievable low price for that supercar I predict it will attract a lot of buyers that never had a chance to get there hands on one.

We learned already that the Model 3 has attracted a buyer group that before did not spend that money for a car but obviously pulled together funds from somewhere. We will see the same happening for the R2.

Also we learned from the interview with Rogan that its easy to achieve the spec as they just have to put 200 Kwh together. It seems like no question to achieve the specs with the for Tesla available technology.

This car will convince all hard core gas heads that the time of ICEs is definitely over. Demand will exceed expectations.

Sorry for my English. I have a question, is there any theory why Tesla delivers most cars in the last month of each quarter in both America and outside America?
I have a theory, but I want to see first if it's something that have been answered before.
To minimize in transit vehicles at end of quarter, they ship over seas in the beginning of the quarter (arriving later in the quarter) and deliver more domestically/ locally at the end of quarter.
Also, if you are looking at insideEV's numbers, the first two months are estimates (good ones) and the last month is the difference between numbers reported by Tesla and the previous 2 months of estimates.

Sorry for my English. I have a question, is there any theory why Tesla delivers most cars in the last month of each quarter in both America and outside America?
I have a theory, but I want to see first if it's something that have been answered before.

They produce the cars for China and the EU at begin of the quarter and they arrive overseas at the end of the quarter would be my guess.

To minimize in transit vehicles at end of quarter, they ship over seas in the beginning of the quarter (arriving later in the quarter) and deliver more domestically/ locally at the end of quarter.

That was my theory too. That means that the first two months are very difficult financially for tesla and at the end of the quarter it's very strong. I am curious how they are gone handle the model 3 over seas deliveries. It's difficult to do the same thing. But in the other hand, we have the shorts who are gone question why there are 30.000 or 40.000 model 3 in transit...

That was my theory too. That means that the first two months are very difficult financially for tesla and at the end of the quarter it's very strong. I am curious how they are gone handle the model 3 over seas deliveries. It's difficult to do the same thing. But in the other hand, we have the shorts who are gone question why there are 30.000 or 40.000 model 3 in transit...

When volume is low all you can do is deliver in spurts (whats happening now with S/X). Once you have a high enough volume(like say water flowing via a pipe) -- you will have a constant stream of deliveries ... so should not be an issue ...
+ delivery operations will get better and made more efficient and will scale better ...

Elon/Deepak have stated in the last two quarterly reports that they are smoothing out the deliveries, they don't actually like them being bunched up like that. There was a big problem in Norway a few months ago when they couldn't handle the big batch of cars arriving all at once. This quarter will be a bit different, as they held back deliveries in the US to prolong the federal tax credit, and then delivered lots to the US in the first few weeks of Q3. We'll see the real data soon enough.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and mongo
Elon/Deepak have stated in the last two quarterly reports that they are smoothing out the deliveries, they don't actually like them being bunched up like that. There was a big problem in Norway a few months ago when they couldn't handle the big batch of cars arriving all at once. This quarter will be a bit different, as they held back deliveries in the US to prolong the federal tax credit, and then delivered lots to the US in the first few weeks of Q3. We'll see the real data soon enough.
This quarter looks pretty weak in Europe so far. A little hard to guess the end as it's about 900 cars should of Q1 at the same time, but also 900 behind Q2 at the same time (first 2 months of the quarter). So the 3rd month (this month) will be crucial as usual.

I wouldn't be surprised if last Q was in fact an outlier and they delivered more to Europe to delay the US and now it will be the opposite. But so far in 2018 this "smoothing out" has not materialized. Maybe it's a bit better than before, but its definitely not even among the 3 months.

Maybe we'll have to wait until Model 3 starts shipping over here. They may do more frequent shipments per month then, which would also help even out S/X shipments a bit.

Reactions: neroden
This quarter looks pretty weak in Europe so far. A little hard to guess the end as it's about 900 cars should of Q1 at the same time, but also 900 behind Q2 at the same time (first 2 months of the quarter). So the 3rd month (this month) will be crucial as usual.

I wouldn't be surprised if last Q was in fact an outlier and they delivered more to Europe to delay the US and now it will be the opposite. But so far in 2018 this "smoothing out" has not materialized. Maybe it's a bit better than before, but its definitely not even among the 3 months.

Maybe we'll have to wait until Model 3 starts shipping over here. They may do more frequent shipments per month then, which would also help even out S/X shipments a bit.

Probably said above but I think we are seeing max use of the U.S. tax credit here which is reduced next year. We were initially noticed M3 delivery possible between Sept 18 and Nov 18. Two days ago noted we must schedule delivery between Sept 21 and 28! End of month too, of course. (Non-performance AWD multi coat red per wife. I'm a white guy car type, shows dirt well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.