Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General Discussion: 2018 Investor Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dual = 2

model-3-drivetrain-1.jpg

What is a drive unit and how many does a dual motor car have?
In a Tesla, the drive unit consists of a motor, inverter, reduction gearing, and differential. So, as others have said, a dual motor car has two drive units.

(Note that some future models may do this differently, depending on how things are set up - for instance, the Semi and Roadster may share the differential and some of the reduction gearing for an axle between two motors, and therefore a drive unit may have two motors. Alternately, they may not share a differential or reduction gearing at all, having one motor per side, but have them in a shared casing, also meaning a drive unit has two motors.)

Reactions: mongo
There is one part people seem to be forgetting in this whole SEC debacle, that most certainly has an imperative impact on Elons decision in this case.

Elon's goal is not only Tesla and sustainability but Mars. If there is a 20% chance he will lose the case against SEC and the consequence would be he loses out on Tesla and his stock options. A proportional impact would be that the probability of his Mars goal and Earth backup plan succeeding/recieving enough funding in the interim 10 years is significantly reduced. Even if SpaceX is doing great you always want to have a funding back-up plan (same as Mars being the Back-Up for Earth). After considering the options I think this is what probably tipped the scale for Elon and considering this piece of information, in his shoes I would have done the same looking at the bigger picture even though I would strongly dislike it. It is the only logical option. If you were ever to read this, I commend you for it!

In a Tesla, the drive unit consists of a motor, inverter, reduction gearing, and differential. So, as others have said, a dual motor car has two drive units.

(Note that some future models may do this differently, depending on how things are set up - for instance, the Semi and Roadster may share the differential and some of the reduction gearing for an axle between two motors, and therefore a drive unit may have two motors. Alternately, they may not share a differential or reduction gearing at all, having one motor per side, but have them in a shared casing, also meaning a drive unit has two motors.)

Extra info: semi has no differentials, each drive unit/gear train drives one half of the axle. Two drive units per axle, four total. Each drive unit is independently mounted to the axle, one fore and one aft. Semi axle is like putting another carrier mount where the rear cover would normally be.

Roadster is likely a similar setup for its dual rear motors. The front wheels are single drive unit with differential.

Advantage is torque vectoring without using brakes, less losses, and higher power (vs single motor)

Wow. What a month. Trying to predict anything about Tesla, Musk and TSLA has been a humbling experience for me.
Me too. On friday I was contemplating whether to buy around $262, thinking that it could still have downside if nothing is settled for a while. Then wham, saturday happened. Ugh. No way to predict some things.

Let me ask you - What do you think SP will open at?
For anyone placing an order prior to open, do those trades get executed in the same order they were placed prior to open?

Wow, the settlement and then Q3 numbers coming out? Damn, you guys are going to kill it next week! So happy to see that the boat is back on course. I have to admit that the thought of $40 million of Tesla's and Elon's money going directly into the hands of the short leeches makes me sick to my stomach, but it should pale compared to the jump in stock price over the next few weeks. Congratulations to all of you that stayed the course.

(now if somebody could just shoot a dual motor, deep blue metalic, non performance model 3 my way I would be extremely grateful. LOL!)

Dan

A good night's sleep and talking to the board of directors and investors. Essentially the same thing what happened to his plans of going private...
Also, we don't know what the terms of the original settlement that he rejected actually were, just what CNBC leaked

There could've been something really poisonous in there, that he was willing to trade something to get that taken out of there.

Reactions: mongo
Status
Not open for further replies.