Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

General issues with the X or?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am looking for other peoples experiences with their Model X model 2017 P100D.

So far I've been having the following issues, which are persistent, even after getting the MCU replaced*.
1: About once per song, i get lags. Like old school cd's with a scratch. As far as I can repro, this is only when streaming Spotify. (Before replacing the MCU, I had it like every 1-2 minute in any song)
2: My FOBs gets "unpaired" about every 3-4 month. Not running out of battery, not in a pocket with mobile phone, not lying too close to the car. It just stops recognizing the fobs.
3: I need to reboot the car about once a week. (Sometimes more, sometimes less). Because either the backwards camera is frozen, the music player is stuck or other features that are unresponsive.
4: When using Voice commands, it just crashes the interface. 9 outa 10 times. Need to reboot to get back into operation.

*Before MCU replacement i had random 1-2 seconds of lag on most features. Blinkers, blinker sound, Door open, Anything in the user interface etc.

Besides that I have experienced:
A: Sentry mode "crashes" multiple times. At least once a week, sometimes more often.
B: Sentry mode triggers the alert, when sitting inside the car. I presume it's because of 2. (Btw, that alarm is scary!)
C: Wifi is living it's own life. Sometimes working, sometimes not, sometimes hanging.
D: Different lags in the interface. Not sure its just bad user experience or its an issue.

I'd say the car has been at Tesla service for about a month, if not more.
Overall I really really love this car. It's a dream to drive and the comfort of it its just five star - when behaving normally.

Any suggestions, advice or feedback on your experience with your Tesla X?

Reactions: DanCar
Except for Wifi I have none of these issues with my 2018 X75 (manufactured 05/2018).

Wifi seems to be very insensitive. Had issues getting reliable connection to Wifi Access Point in the house. But my phone and iPad were fine with this Access Point when sitting in the car. I fixed the issue by putting a Wifi access point in the garage. It is on the ceiling and about 10 feet from the car.

FWIW, you can set Sentry Mode to not activate at your "Home" location.

Also, you might try replacing the battery in the Fob. I had some strangeness before I did that. Battery Plus stores stock the right battery, not sure if you have those in Denmark.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I have an early 2017 (April) model X P100D and experience many of the same issues. They seem to come and go with the upgrades. With 32.12.7 I no longer have access to internet. I love the teslawaze on internet but have no more access to it OR any other internet connection. Oh Well, took it in for service. Hope they can resolve that issue.
By the way, Service rep said no retrofit for computer or screen. I guess I just missed out by getting an early model X ($165,000+ taxes). Oh Well, feeling bad for next owner as mine goes in from lease next May.

Just to follow up my old thread here.
Regarding MCU, i have been digging a bit. It seems my previous MCU was creating "corrupted files" on the storage, which couldn't get deleted. Replacing the MCU should remedy this, however it seems that I have just started over. So seeing same issues as in the beginning, less frequently, but building up. I am issued a return vehicle on Warranty, so it will be interesting to see how Tesla reacts to this.

Besides that I can add that I have had a ton of malformed rubber lists, which was out of place, making doors sqeek, unable to open properly and additional my falcon doors now smell of burned plastic whenever I open them....

Reactions: DanCar
I have a 2017 MX 100 and think it's an amazing vehicle. However, I have had some bad luck with tires and I had a 12 v battery that totally died with no warning. The replace battery alert failed. The car was an unmoveable brick. The bad tire and battery made the roadside service guy and I best friends last summer. I have the usual issues with some streaming channels not loading on 4G.

Also, it seems as though every time I get an update the voice command system gets buggy. The earliest updates definitely improved the EAP but recently it feels a bit less comfortable to use and I've had to intervene.

The service here in Tampa has improved and more responsive. As I said, I love the car.

I must be really lucky. Late 2016 MX and never any issues of any kind at 30,000 miles. I think I recall having to reboot the car once a couple years ago. I've had 43 firmware updates since purchased. Oh wait, there was one issue. Needed to have the 12 V battery replaced after 3 years.

I must be really lucky. Late 2016 MX and never any issues of any kind at 30,000 miles. I think I recall having to reboot the car once a couple years ago. I've had 43 firmware updates since purchased. Oh wait, there was one issue. Needed to have the 12 V battery replaced after 3 years.
Then I'm lucky too. Some other door latch & window issues happened, but 60k miles so far w/o major issues.
We are not lucky, we are proud!

old |v2020.12.11.5|AP2,MCU1,PUP|
new |v2020.16.2.1|AP2,MCU1,PUP|

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
And another update.
The latest update on this is that its a known issue, that some parts will create these corrupted files, slowly filling up the cars resources. I was told, that they are working on a fix in the US. However not available in EU yet, where my car is located.
So I have filed a claim on warranty to get car replaced. (Danish law states, that if the car you bought was defect from the beginning, the car seller should be given reasonable time to sort it. If they cannot sort it out, you are entitled to get the car redelivered. Same make, model, as purchased.

First offer from Tesla was 600.000dk. kr. from a new price of 1.396.000 dk.kr., so about 800.000dk.kr. price reduction on 2½ year, while they tried to fix their issue...

Needless to say, I am not impressed...

Just to follow up my old thread here.
Regarding MCU, i have been digging a bit. It seems my previous MCU was creating "corrupted files" on the storage, which couldn't get deleted. Replacing the MCU should remedy this, however it seems that I have just started over. So seeing same issues as in the beginning, less frequently, but building up. I am issued a return vehicle on Warranty, so it will be interesting to see how Tesla reacts to this.

Besides that I can add that I have had a ton of malformed rubber lists, which was out of place, making doors sqeek, unable to open properly and additional my falcon doors now smell of burned plastic whenever I open them....

Did all your save seat settings and travel history, trip odometers, etc get transferred over? If so you may want to try a factory reset as the corrupted files containing that data was likely to have transferred over.