Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Genesis GV60 comparison to Tesla 3/Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TL;DR - neither is better.

I’m due to collect my (white/white/19”) Y next week but I became interested in the Genesis GV60 when it was announced some time ago and some of the initial reviews have been very favourable. I finally had a test drive of one yesterday - the two motor Sport version. I’m still going ahead with buying the Y but hopefully if I do decide I prefer the GV60 I shouldn’t lose too much selling the Y…and Tesla actually gave me the best price on my 2020 Model 3.

I appreciate this forum is mainly people who already have a Tesla or have ordered one but in case there are people here trying to decide between different EVs, I hope the comparison below helps. Of course it is all subjective. I am not a Tesla fanboy. I fully appreciate what Tesla has done in spearheading the development of EVs, but I do not workshop at the altar of Elon. :)

Efficiency - no contest. On the exact same journey as the test drive, my Model 3 easily averages at least 4 miles/kwh. I would expect a Y to get slightly less. The GV60 got 3. This has pretty much been the case with every EV I’ve test driven, Tesla gets this so right.

Refinement - GV60 is easily better than my 2020 Model 3 and a MIC Model Y which I’ve been test driving recently. It just has a feeling of solidity about it. All the touchpoints are nice and it is so much quieter than the Model 3 (and the Model Y). The test car did have the B&O sound system which has active noice cancelling which might have helped. Although the ride was firm it was more forgiving than either Tesla.

Performance and handling - the test car was the mid range Sport model, on paper slower 0-60 accelerating than any 3 or Y but in real world overtaking there was little in it. As expected the 3 handled better and I would say the Y probably also handled better though at the expense of a harsher ride than the GV60. Annoying that the GV60 required one pedal driving to be switched on every time it was started. I was surprised to find I did quite like the ability to vary the rate of regen depending on the type of road.

Driver Aids - an easy win for the GV60. It read all speed limits and adjusted speed appropriately in a section of roadworks where the Test doesn’t even see the speed limits. Proper blind spot monitoring, not a video image in part of the screen that is obscured by your arms when driving. Head up display was very good. 360 degree cameras, reversing out of bay cross traffic warnings etc.

Infotainment - no outright winner here. The B&O Sound system was hugely impressive, much better than the Tesla. The GV60 relies on wired Apple Car Play for things like Spotify etc. With regard to Sat Nav, I preferred the head up display on the GV60 rather than having to glance left and down to the Tesla screen and hope that it’s zoomed in on a complicated junction. But the fact that Tesla uses Google maps so you can type in the name of any business is very useful. You might be able to do this with the GV60 but it didn’t have its Connected Services set up so not sure. But of course, the Tesla screen is unbeatable for YouTube, Netflix etc (except for when Theater launches with a blank screen and the only way to fix it is to change the onscreen language, reboot, change the language back again and reboot again).

User interface - I really dislike the Tesla UI. Too much of the screen is dedicated to showing me what’s around the car, wheelie bins, dancing traffic lights. I’ve got windows and mirrors for that. Warning messages with tiny grey on black text etc. They could make this so much better. The GV60 is almost the opposite - so many buttons! Sometimes buttons are a good thing, especially for things like climate control but the GV60 does seem to have gone overboard. But everything that I need as a a driver is there and is clear. The demo car had cameras and screens instead of door mirrors - not a fan but normal mirrors come as standard.

Space - another win for Tesla - especially the Model Y. I was surprised at how little leg room there was in the back of the GV60 given how cavernous the same platform Kia EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq 5 are. There is some under boot storage and a small frunk but they’re tiny compared to the 3/Y.

Other stuff - Tesla gets a lot of the other stuff right in a way that other manufacturers don’t. I can’t find anywhere in the GV60 user manual which tells you how to switch off internal alarm sensors if you need to leave a dog in the car for a while so the chances of being able to do that AND leave the climate control on are probably nil! The GV60 has nothing like Sentry mode. Even though it has keyless entry and exit you still need to carry an old fashioned fob, although that might change if Apple Keys is implemented. With Tesla, you get in the car, put it in drive and go; with the GV60 you have to press a Start/Stop button - if I’m getting in the car it’s highly likely I’m going to be driving it. I love the idea of Vehicle To Load on the GV60 and the chilled seats really do work better than I thought they would. Pin To Drive makes the Tesla almost theft proof, the GV60 has finger print recognition but I think this is to recall seat position etc, not a security device.

Price - the basic Y is now £57990. The single motor GV60 starts at £47,005, twin motor starts at £53,605, the higher performance version starts at £65,405. This includes the same basic cruise control and auto steer as the Y. Adding a sunroof adds £1,200. There are further options available and if you spec the mid range Sport to the max, you’re looking at £63k or £75k for the top of the range.

I really wanted one of them to be better than the other, but they’re not, they’re just very different to each other.

Genesis_GV80_front_view_(South_Korea).png

(차,또바기, CC BY 3.0 <Creative Commons — Attribution 3.0 Unported — CC BY 3.0>, via Wikimedia Commons)
(This image was added by TMC staff.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Range is King 🤴 and EV Map Routing is Queen.

I would get lean towards the GV60 if it has one of the two at lease. But it has neither in comparison to the Y. GV60 has superior sound quality and interior build quality over Y hands down.

Charging network will improve over time with other vendors like EA or EVGo. Not to mention Tesla own SC being CCS for other cars.

Range is King 🤴 and EV Map Routing is Queen.

I would get lean towards the GV60 if it has one of the two at lease. But it has neither in comparison to the Y. GV60 has superior sound quality and interior build quality over Y hands down.

Charging network will improve over time with other vendors like EA or EVGo. Not to mention Tesla own SC being CCS for other cars.
Great but totally irrelevant for us in the UK

In the UK/EU all EV’s use the same type 2 connectors unlike in North America where Tesla has its own proprietary connector. Tesla’s UK/EU Supercharger network also use type 2, which is why some Tesla Superchargers (or maybe all now), can be used by other EV’s and also Tesla can plug into any charge network.

In the UK/EU all EV’s use the same type 2 connectors unlike in North America where Tesla has its own proprietary connector. Tesla’s UK/EU Supercharger network also use type 2, which is why some Tesla Superchargers (or maybe all now), can be used by other EV’s and also Tesla can plug into any charge network.

Standard Type 2 connectors are not a feature of UK Superchargers (and have never been). It is the CCS element of our UK connectors that enables more recent Teslas and other brands to (potentially) share UK/European Superchargers.

Older UK spec Teslas used/use an adapted proprietary version of a Type 2 connector on non V3 Superchargers.