Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GenII hw autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a letter from Tesla today seemingly saying test Autopilot on Gen2 hardware will be deploying to Japan. Anyone else?
Yes, HW2 equipped cars are already available since last fall, but this is the first time for Japanese HW2 cars to have AP2 autosteer functionally. My X also had this update yesterday and I was able to autosteer this morning.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Autopilot on Gen2 hardware will be deploying to Japan.

I was wondering if the charging port was moved on the right side,
so to be located on the driver side, in the case of Left-Hand-Side driving counties?

The following picture seems to prove that the charging port was still on the left,
which seems less practical? But I guess you cannot start the car if it is still plugged anyway.

b-tesla-a-20140910-870x580.jpg

Elon Musk, co-founder and chief executive officer of Tesla Motors Inc.,
demonstrates how to charge the company's Model S electric sedan
following a news conference in Tokyo on Monday. | BLOOMBERG

Tesla's Musk keeps door open to future projects with Toyota | The Japan Times

Last edited:
Yes, HW2 equipped cars are already available since last fall, but this is the first time for Japanese HW2 cars to have AP2 autosteer functionally. My X also had this update yesterday and I was able to autosteer this morning.
Very good. How is the AP2 behavior so far? I've driven AP1 (on the original Mobileye hw) in the US and it was pretty solid on the highway. Secondary roads was a bit sketchy.

Would you rather have it on the driver (right) side?

I this that would make more sense and would be more practical.

Not a big difference to me. Except superchargers, most charging spots are back in or on the left side, so it is rather convenient.

Very good. How is the AP2 behavior so far? I've driven AP1 (on the original Mobileye hw) in the US and it was pretty solid on the highway. Secondary roads was a bit sketchy.

Still trying on various highways here, but in general it is relatively useful in major, long distance highways like Tomei or Chuo. However in shuto expressway, it is barely acceptable or dangerous. It frequently brakes under some large signs, and can't trace corners and steps over the lane line markings.

• Informative
Still trying on various highways here, but in general it is relatively useful in major, long distance highways like Tomei or Chuo. However in shuto expressway, it is barely acceptable or dangerous. It frequently brakes under some large signs, and can't trace corners and steps over the lane line markings.

Ok, thank you for sharing. I picked up my car from the Yokohama service center and enabled the AP2. Did a little driving/testing - I agree larger (wider) and newer highways (although I am not sure of the age of Tomei and Chuo) AP2 seem to be good enough and pretty useful. I really welcome the break for the sake of my right leg which gets cramped driving my S long distances.
I had a separate and interesting observation, using just the TACC would brake (with chime on, I guess meaning, collision alert) pretty consistently before entrances to large tunnels. First time it happened it was a bit alarming at the highway speed, but fortunately no one was behind me. I too thought it had something to do with the overhead signs but in couple of cases there were no large discernible signs above the tunnel entrance.

I read about some comments saying that in HK, garages are narrow
and because the MS is quite large, the car barely fit inside.

So the MS has to be parked very close to the wall on the right side to be able
to open the driver door on the left side, making accessing the charger door difficult.
That makes sense but haven't heard similar things in Japan. Teslas are quite wide but still very close to Audi A8 so if you have A8 then you'll have similar experience. As I mentioned in my previous post here we have many curbside DC Fast Chargers so it is actually more convenient to charge. At those chargers we have to park the car parallel to the curb.

Back to autopilot, I have driven more metro highways in a past few days and found that there are some bigger issues.

1. Overhead signs. I have about 30 overhead signs and objects in my 5.5 mile commute, and AP2 brakes at a few of them. Very surprising and this is my biggest complaint.
2. The car drives close to the center of the lane. This is not good, as roads and lanes are narrow and have little margin of error for me and the other cars in the next lanes. Should drive closer to the side.
3. At corners AP2 is too late to start steering, resulting in stepping on lane markings. Can't trace sharper corners like 80R (we have 40R as well).

Note that in my AP1 experiences these 1 2 3 are all non-issue.

• Informative

I'm not comfortable with AP1 on the Shuto, either, Hiroshi. The tolerances are just too small for my tastes. The Shin Tomei is a whole 'nother ballgame. That's my favorite Japanese highway!

Reactions: hiroshiy
The Shin Tomei is a whole 'nother ballgame. That's my favorite Japanese highway!

For those reading this thread and not too familiar with Japan,
I found this quick overview of the central Japan’s highways system:
The Shin Tomei and Shin Meishin Expressway | About Us | Central Nippon Expressway Company

Note: I have been visiting Japan several times, and Japan is one of my favorite travel destination.
I would love to be able to drive there and to discover many interesting areas that I missed while using
the public transportation system, which is already quite impressive and very practical!

Have been on the road pretty much the entire last weekend. Using AP2 and experimenting to the extent traffic allowed.
1. While in the traffic on Tomei moving at about 20km/h AP2 missed a car changing into my lane pretty up close and personal...
2. When taking an exit to rest area AP2 gets really confused by the small changes in the divider line.
3. Curves in the road make it loose track of the car in front, so it really speeds up only to hard brake once it acquires the car in the front.

I've done a fair amount of driving using AP1 in US and none of these problems were present. By comparison to AP1, present iteration of AP2 is really, really beta code...

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and hiroshiy
Downloaded new AP2 version and after the calibration have been trying it on. Not enough km driven to decide if any of the problems described earlier got better. However, one feature that is worth mentioning at this point is the summon. My driver's side parking neighbor is an SUV. It's rarely driven and parked almost on the white dividing lane, leaves me with almost no space to open the door once I park my Model S. Now I can position my car, exit in relative luxury of fully opening the door and then use Summon to complete the parking. I had to adjust Summon parameter to allow smaller/tighter clearance. Before that the car wouldn't fully back into the tight parking spot.
Also, couple of observations: for some reason summon does not work with my fob, long pressing the roof does not activate summon; as mentioned before, needed to adjust clearance before it started working, otherwise phone app simply errors out trying to activate summon. Last observation, couple of times it failed to activate with an error key fob is out of range.

Last edited:
Downloaded new AP2 version and after the calibration have been trying it on. Not enough km driven to decide if any of the problems described earlier got better. However, one feature that is worth mentioning at this point is the summon. My driver's side parking neighbor is an SUV. It's rarely driven and parked almost on the white dividing lane, leaves me with almost no space to open the door once I park my Model S. Now I can position my car, exit in relative luxury of fully opening the door and then use Summon to complete the parking. I had to adjust Summon parameter to allow smaller/tighter clearance. Before that the car wouldn't fully back into the tight parking spot.
Also, couple of observations: for some reason summon does not work with my fob, long pressing the roof does not activate summon; as mentioned before, needed to adjust clearance before it started working, otherwise phone app simply errors out trying to activate summon. Last observation, couple of times it failed to activate with an error key fob is out of range.
So @SG13 were you able to use summon with your key fob? My fob doesn't seem to activate summon so I'm always using my phone.

That SUV touching white line! Isn't that rude parking (in Japanese it is called VIP parking) in Japanese society!? :)
I started using summon from a few days ago. It is very useful when the parking is crowded and only spots with pillers on the driver's side are available.

Reactions: SG13
So @SG13 were you able to use summon with your key fob? My fob doesn't seem to activate summon so I'm always using my phone.

That SUV touching white line! Isn't that rude parking (in Japanese it is called VIP parking) in Japanese society!? :)
I started using summon from a few days ago. It is very useful when the parking is crowded and only spots with pillers on the driver's side are available.
Hi Hiroshiy,
No, unfortunately key fob does not seem to activate summon. At first I thought it was the distance, so I moved pretty close. Then I thought I was not holding it down long enough - nope. Then I looked for any settings in the configuration - no. Lastly, I tried my second key fob, just to make certain this is not a problem with one of the two I have. None seems to work. I am thinking about e-mailing Yokohama service center to ask about the problem. It's not a huge inconvenience, but it would be nice for it to work.
Another problem, summon does not activate in the covered (basement) parking facilities. On my phone it errors out with can't determine location via gps... as you've said, it's really useful to make use of summon in cases parking spot is adjacent to a column or a support pillar or a wall - unfortunately in the basement parking conditions that does not work... sadly.
LOL. Yes, my SUV neighbor is clearly a very important person ;-)