Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

George Hotz and comma.ai - open source project - progress updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, more from Hotz - he does a quick tour through the GM Cruise investor slide deck that came out last week. It's mostly the world according to Hotz, as always, but he also has some very cogent and well informed opinions. The first half is slide deck stuff (20 min or so).

comma ai @comma_ai

That was almost as bad as shrimp's music. As a favor to others, consider skipping the first 7 minutes.

EDIT: Also, I believe his dislike for EVs is short sighted. I did not hold him in high esteem before but I hold him in less esteem because he fails to acknowledge the superiority of EVs.

Last edited:
at some point my front du will have to be replaced again and although I would like to stay on FW 7.1 the SC claims they will have to "upgrade" the firmware to the latest 8.X series. looking at open pilot to replace the 8.X for autopilot at that time. Bottom line reason is that FW 7.1 has virtually zero "nags" and works perfectly for me on my daily commute. Open pilot appears to be very similar.

The solution is steer only currently, the brakes on classic S aren't computer controllable, so you can swap the brake system, but that's still very Alpha stage of testing in my view.

The system fits several cars, Prius is one. I rented one for about 2 weeks to test and it's beating my new X with latest autopilot on several situations. I like the interface on Prius with OpenPilot better.. Wish I could get it instead of Tesla AP, but that's not likely to happen ever..

I will likely sell my 2013 S tho, sadly, I've only owned it 6 months but probably best car I've ever owned.

at some point my front du will have to be replaced again and although I would like to stay on FW 7.1 the SC claims they will have to "upgrade" the firmware to the latest 8.X series. looking at open pilot to replace the 8.X for autopilot at that time. Bottom line reason is that FW 7.1 has virtually zero "nags" and works perfectly for me on my daily commute. Open pilot appears to be very similar.

Aren't you worried about, you know... dying?

OpenPilot has tot layers of safety, some c++ code running on the actual panda (interrace to CAN) and also the Python decision code to translate models predicted turns to commands to send to CAN. The model takes a confidence minimum before returning a scenario to steer for also, but that was accept 0% confidence if you want to see how far your wheel can turn at 1 MPH (hint: super human).

Those things said the steering rack also has some safety code Tesla sets, including to disallow steer commands of humans steer (which causes Autopilot disengagements).

All these things add up to a lot of safety, but YOU are responsible for safety on all current systems, they are driving aids, not full self driving.

I just did Indiana to DC and it drove the large majority, OpenPilot now doesn't nag any but it watched your eyes are on the road instead. It worked beautifully.. although little to be gas/brake, only steer (I and another guy successfully forged cruise control speed up / slow down) controls but that isn't really enough. We will have a gas pedal probably in a week or so for early testing, then we will have full region but still not break since our early cars do not have computer controlled brakes.

It's VERY nice on interstate drive the, VERY..

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
Camera facing the driver seems to be the way to go. Hands on wheel proved to be janky and easily bypassed. The new Kona took that route and I'm glad Comma.ai did.

Reactions: Kalud