Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

George Hotz and comma.ai - open source project - progress updates?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another quick video I just made and posted while driving... This really works :)

Really impressive. Looking forward to a time when I can experiment with this on my 2013 S. So the only vision sensor is in the smart phone camera? And openpilot provides some TACC capability? Will have to research it some more. Will be subscribing to see videos of you running in some more challenging environments.

The vision sensor is the OnePlus 3 camera yes. Which is likely higher resolution than the black and white unit Tesla uses in AP1.

Openpilot SOFTWARE provides TACC capability but you need the supporting hardware. In the case of our classic Teslas, that would mean installing a radar unit in the bumper. I have all the parts to do it (I basically bought all the AP1 parts for a nosecone Tesla), but we haven't yet figured out the CAN messages from the radar unit -- that's one of the reasons we're open-sourcing this. We're hoping to get some help with that part. You also need to change the brake system (to iBooster), the ABS/ESP system to ABS/ESP2, and the wheel speed sensors to get true TACC. I have all the parts and will likely get them installed in the next few weeks.

More to come for sure...

Really impressive. Looking forward to a time when I can experiment with this on my 2013 S. So the only vision sensor is in the smart phone camera? And openpilot provides some TACC capability? Will have to research it some more. Will be subscribing to see videos of you running in some more challenging environments.

a)
It runs on phone using "NEOS, a fork of Android designed for easy robotics development." GitHub - commaai/neo: comma neo research platform
The neo is an open source robotics research platform. It is powered by a OnePlus 3 smartphone and an STM32F205-based CAN interface board, in a 3d-printed housing with active cooling.
The neo platform includes NEOS, a stripped down Android ROM designed for robustness and to get out of the way of your software. It also provides a modern linux environment for easy development.

b)
From: GitHub - commaai/openpilot: open source driving agent
User Data / chffr Account / Crash Reporting
By default openpilot creates an account and includes a client for chffr, our dashcam app. We use your data to train better models and improve openpilot for everyone.
It's open source software, so you are free to disable it if you wish.
It logs the road facing camera, CAN, GPS, IMU, magnetometer, thermal sensors, crashes, and operating system logs. It does not log the user facing camera or the microphone.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
The vision sensor is the OnePlus 3 camera yes. Which is likely higher resolution than the black and white unit Tesla uses in AP1.

Openpilot SOFTWARE provides TACC capability but you need the supporting hardware. In the case of our classic Teslas, that would mean installing a radar unit in the bumper. I have all the parts to do it (I basically bought all the AP1 parts for a nosecone Tesla), but we haven't yet figured out the CAN messages from the radar unit -- that's one of the reasons we're open-sourcing this. We're hoping to get some help with that part. You also need to change the brake system (to iBooster), the ABS/ESP system to ABS/ESP2, and the wheel speed sensors to get true TACC. I have all the parts and will likely get them installed in the next few weeks.

More to come for sure...

Thanks for the details! ScottF as well. The mechanical installation of those components doesn't seem overly difficult but I bet getting the car to talk to them is involved.

Reactions: scottf200
Just to clarify... the part we've "open-sourced" is the communication between the Openpilot system and the steering control system in the Tesla (the EPAS). We're going to start working on speed/brake control once we figure out some of the CAN messages and we get that hardware installed as well.

Reactions: davidc18 and Rouget
Hi George..Met you at the autonmous vehicle meetup in bay area. Wondering if you guys are still planning to sell the devices in China? I recall you mentioned that China and other developing countries would be the best place to sell and develop such hardware at low cost.

30 min podcast interview with GeoHot from a couple of days ago.

I really enjoy how different his take on the development of self driving cars is from what you get fed by mainstream sources.

Episode 6: How George Hotz plans to win the self-driving race
Word:
Q: What kind of regulatory hurdles do you think are facing autonomous vehicles, and are we kind of the right pass to...

A: No. Anyone who thinks there's actually regulatory hurdles is someone who desperately wants to remain employed - kind of doing nothing. It would be so immoral, and unethical, if there was good self-technology in the world for regulators to try to block it.
I mean, they're literally sentencing hundres of people every day to die - I mean IF the technology existed.
Self-driving is ENTIRELY a technlogy problem. If the technology existed, and it was cheap and shippable, it would already be deployed everywhere. No sane regulator would try to stop it.

I don't think this has been posted but ran across it.

Instructions for making Openpilot from comma.ai work on Classic Tesla Model S
The following instructions describe how to get comma.ai's Openpilot working on a "Classic" Tesla Model S. The classic Model S does not have autopilot hardware but does have the same steering control system and servo as the autopilot Model S and therefore can be controlled through electrical signaling (specifically one of the car's CAN buses).

These instructions would also work on an autopilot Model S, but the controls for engaging openpilot vs. the car's autopilot could be confused so caution is advised. To get openpilot working on an autopilot Tesla Model S, omit the section on Bypassing the EPAS kill signal.
It is assumed that the reader has built a Neo and all software is installed.

Kalud, you're so sneaky! :)

Does anybody else with a Classic S want to help us continue our openpilot port? As you can see, we've already got steering control working perfectly...

Is there somewhere that can do the mods on DC area on a 2013 S? I'd consider it depending on costs.. I'd like to support project but have been debating selling my S andare buying a X..