Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

'Get Amped Tour' Email Invites

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We live in Orange County and it would be easier to test drive at the LA event but I'm afraid if we skip the Fremont event and wait for the LA event that we may not get a time at the LA event. Then again with only 700 drives available at Fremont, I don't think we will get an invite to that since I think it will fill up fast. Now, the unknown is how many drives will be available at the LA event. We are P813, so I guess it comes down to how many Res Holders, in front of us, want to attend either Fremont or LA event. Any ideas of how many Res Holders will fly in to attend the Fremont event?

We live in Orange County and it would be easier to test drive at the LA event but I'm afraid if we skip the Fremont event and wait for the LA event that we may not get a time at the LA event. Then again with only 700 drives available at Fremont, I don't think we will get an invite to that since I think it will fill up fast. Now, the unknown is how many drives will be available at the LA event. We are P813, so I guess it comes down to how many Res Holders, in front of us, want to attend either Fremont or LA event. Any ideas of how many Res Holders will fly in to attend the Fremont event?

In order to get 5000 test drives in 12 events my bet is they are trying to target about 500 per event. I imagine that LA will be on the bigger rather than smaller side.

In order to get 5000 test drives in 12 events my bet is they are trying to target about 500 per event. I imagine that LA will be on the bigger rather than smaller side.

Which is interesting given they are hosting 3 days in Scottsdale. I doubt there are 700 reservation holders in this area. Or will the Scottsdale event have fewer cars? And it's not like Scottsdale is a great place to vacation in July (most are trying to get OUT of town). So, if they will have the same number of slots, and you want to test drive one, your best bet would be to visit the PHX area that weekend and get on the wait list. Chances are you'd score a test drive. (There I did my civic duty for the Phoenix-metro Chambers of Commerce :) )

Maybe those there can score longer or multiple drives! Kinda like going to the amusement park on an off-peak day :)

Not only that, but they said last week that there was going to be 2000 test drives in the first two weekends and then today they announced that the Fremont event would comprise 700 test drives. I'm no math wiz, but doesn't that leave 1300 left to do in LA?

Not only that, but they said last week that there was going to be 2000 test drives in the first two weekends and then today they announced that the Fremont event would comprise 700 test drives. I'm no math wiz, but doesn't that leave 1300 left to do in LA?

So, here is my analysis:
700 drives in 2 days with 10 cars = 35 drives per day. At 7 to 8 minutes per drive, we have about 5 miles per drive. That's 175 miles per car which is about the single charge range of an 85 kWh car under test drive conditions.

Fremont 10 cars, 2 days, 700 rides
LA 10 cars, 3 days, 1050 rides. That's 1750 for the first two weekends, rounded up to 2000 :)
Seattle 10, 3, 1050.
Washington 3, 3, 315
Scottsdale 3, 3, 315
Palo Alto 4, 2, 280
Denver 4, 2, 280
New York 3, 3, 315
Portland 3, 3, 315
Chicago 3, 3, 315
Miami 3, 3, 315

Total US test drives: 5250

Toronto ???? Maybe 10, 3, 1050?

Last edited:

They are doing 2 days of test drives in Fremont and 3 days of test drives in LA. However, they will be another weekend in Palo Alto, so there's another chance for test drive if you miss the first weekend. I just hope I will get an invite even though my reservation was only recently placed P7603.

Which is interesting given they are hosting 3 days in Scottsdale. I doubt there are 700 reservation holders in this area. Or will the Scottsdale event have fewer cars? And it's not like Scottsdale is a great place to vacation in July (most are trying to get OUT of town). So, if they will have the same number of slots, and you want to test drive one, your best bet would be to visit the PHX area that weekend and get on the wait list. Chances are you'd score a test drive. (There I did my civic duty for the Phoenix-metro Chambers of Commerce :) )

There are a lot of reservation holders in Texas and that state doesn't allow Tesla to give test drives there so Tesla is probably hoping those people will probably go to the Scottsdale or Denver test drives. It's only a thousand miles away instead of two or three thousand.

There are a lot of reservation holders in Texas and that state doesn't allow Tesla to give test drives there so Tesla is probably hoping those people will probably go to the Scottsdale or Denver test drives. It's only a thousand miles away instead of two or three thousand.

It might as well be on the moon as far as I'm concerned. Not that I really need a test drive anyway. I didn't even see a picture of the last car I purchased :)

At P813 I'm sure you'll get a chance to test drive. Even if I don't get a chance to drive I hope to be able to at least go to see all the colors.

The test drive tour is supposed to have all the colors for the car, so I'm asking a favor here and requesting pictures of the Sequoia Green and Sunset Red cars. It's down to those two for me, I want to see pics of them in the flesh.

If I get to go (and I really think that I will) I'm planning on bringing my camera and taking pictures of as many of the various cars as I can. I hope/plan to be able to photograph all 10 but I'm not sure if I will have that opportunity. We shall see.

Regardless, the photos that I do get will be put up for club ogling.

Yeah, and next week would be a little late for out-of-towners who'd have to cough up more for last-minute airfares... Are you watching this, Tesla?!

Not a defense or anything, but I think the idea is that everyone is expected to pick a spot close to where they live, i.e. east coasters should hold off for the events close to them rather than flying cross-country to Fremont and that way most reservation holders should be able to avoid air fares altogether (yes, I know there are exceptions and yes, I know it's easy for me to say all this living close to Fremont...).

To be selfish, I am hoping that about 2000 people with #s lower than me are not flying in to the Fremont event so that I may have a chance of going!

With only 700 slots at Fremont, there might be enough low #s in the Bay Area itself to fill them up.

Kipernicus, the event in mid-July in Palo Alto is probably more likely for you and I.