Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: New York, 7/20- 7-/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't drive, my wife did and my COO, but I did ride along. I heard the hollow whining sound and noticed a couple broken interior pieces. Once again the pano roof was amazing from the inside. COO broke the tires loose a couple times on turns and straights in the rain, but the car still felt stable.

Typing mobile so don't think I can add pics and certainly harder to type, but a great experience overall.

Aight I just got done hanging out with the Telsa crew and am staying the night at the hotel lol. I have no life :smile:

I'm going through my videos now (10 GB worth).

Remember that charging comment I made earlier? Welp, turns out they got an HPC last minute and offered to charge my Roadster. So while I was off checking the car out and taking video etc, they drove my Roadster to the location and charged it up for me and brought it back when it was done. Awesome! THANK YOU. That's make-you-smile customer service.

I'm going to review my ride video before I go deep. Some random thoughts...
I was a passenger in the non-performance car. While I was't pushed back in the seat, it's VERY deceiving -- when our copilot said we'd reached 75 MPH I couldn't believe it. I was sure we were going a lot slower.
I drove the performance car. Now that has plenty of kick. I'm VERY satisfied with its performance.
The traction control on the Model S TRUMPS the Roadster's. Far better.
The car handles better than the Roadster (I don't have sport suspension, which likely plays into this a little bit). It feels like a solid car, but it feels like there's no effort involved in moving or maneuvering it. Planted solidly on the ground. Handles turns very well. Very quiet. Takes bumps very well.
The A/C seems like a monster (in a good way)! While it was only about 85, I cranked it all the way up and the airflow (CFM) was crazy high and the output was very cold. I think it'll be excellent.

Off to review the videos ...

Had my test drive today - got a chance to drive and to ride, both in Performance cars. Heard the whine which the Tesla rep referred to as the "contactor whine" and as others have said, it has to do with the frequency of the contactor when a lot of current is running through it (i.e. during hard acceleration) - said they're working on tuning that down so it sounds more like a growl than a balloon deflating.

Will post some more comments in the Karma vs. Model S thread later, but was most impressed with the software/controls/infotainment and the mid-speed acceleration. There was a HUGE Indian wedding going on today which had a reception literally right next to the check-in area for the Tesla event. That dampened the mood a bit - didn't feel that festive for a big splashy roadshow event like the Fremont or Hawthorne test drives. GeorgeB, need a little more excitement/pizazz at the events!

Staff was very friendly - the course has some good spots to check Model S handling in curves/tight turns etc.

The course ...

IMG_0487.JPG

Gonna be a little spammy with my posts to get my thoughts down before I forget and whatnot, sorry ...
The videos are going to take more than the night to upload. I'll watch them now while I'm waiting and post comments of things I notice/remember as I watch them now.
The video of my drive got cut off (woof - you're fired! :smile: kidding! don't worry about it) so I won't post that (nothing particularly useful in it). I'm uploading my video of EdA's drive now (ETA is like 5 hours).

Something else I remembered while reviewing a video just now - part of the reason regen feels weaker in the Model S vs. Roadster is that if you side-step the accelerator, the Model S *gradually* increases regen. The Roadster goes into full regen immediately so it's much more jarring. Not so with the Model S. And I like it! Allows you to have an "oops" moment or readjust your foot without regen going nuts on you.

Had my test drive today - got a chance to drive and to ride, both in Performance cars. Heard the whine which the Tesla rep referred to as the "contactor whine" and as others have said, it has to do with the frequency of the contactor when a lot of current is running through it (i.e. during hard acceleration) - said they're working on tuning that down so it sounds more like a growl than a balloon deflating.

Will post some more comments in the Karma vs. Model S thread later, but was most impressed with the software/controls/infotainment and the mid-speed acceleration. There was a HUGE Indian wedding going on today which had a reception literally right next to the check-in area for the Tesla event. That dampened the mood a bit - didn't feel that festive for a big splashy roadshow event like the Fremont or Hawthorne test drives. GeorgeB, need a little more excitement/pizazz at the
Staff was very friendly - the course has some good spots to check Model S handling in curves/tight turns etc.

I drove the silver performance car this morning at the 10am slot. I have to say I am truly impressed with the ride and handling. All i could say everytime my foot hit the accelerator was WOW! There is truly nothing else like it. I drive an Audi S4 daily and the performance Model S felt smoother, faster, and tighter than my Audi despite being much wider, longer and heavier. I was pleasantly surprised at the lacewood finish and think the tan napa leather looked sharp. My friend said he noticed some minor finish concerns in the ceiling lines, but overall the car looked and felt very solid. The only real criticism I will share which is worth noting was a software glitch when I first sat in the car with the rep. Immediately after I sat and adjusted the seat back the drivers display had various caution icons popping up saying regen disengaged and abs disengaged.... The rep said he never saw that before and called over a tech who said to power down and restart the car. We did that in less than 30 seconds and the car powered back to normal and we were off. While I was a bit concerned about that start, the car delivered in every aspect of performance that matters. I'm sure they will iron out any software glitches quickly and I can now say with complete confirmation that I am very Amped to get my S next year! Kudos to Elon for delivering on such an exciting product!

Andy, Mitch, Ed - pleasure seeing you today! Thanks for the extra ride Ed and Andy thanks for working the cam during mine!

Nice meeting you to, Ben.

I was impressed with the Model S, just wish there was more seat time, it was over before I got to play much :)

I did notice at one point I was at 65mph, thought it was a lot slower than that (couldn't get it to higher speed on most of the roads, around the semicircle nears the hotel I got it going pretty fast, before having to stop)

Also I drove the signature performance, which is not what I am buying, hopefully there will be another chance to drive a Model S with 19" wheels and non-performance before I have to sign the MVPA.... Which is probably a good 9 months off.

The trunk door can be set to remember how high to open in case you have e.g. a low garage ceiling or something you don't want it to open into. I have a clip of that in action, too.

I've heard virtually ZERO cooling noise from the Model S. Being driven hard in 85 degree weather.. the Roadster would be whirring away. The Model S pulls up from a test drive and it's still silent. Even if the A/C is going, there's very little external noise.

There is a range mode charge, however there's no concept of not being able to access the bottom 10% of the battery without being in range mode. You always have access to 0-90% and range gets you the extra 90-100%.

The display looks like PAPER. It's ridiculously good. No problems with brightness, glare, etc. Really really well done.

There is a range mode charge, however there's no concept of not being able to access the bottom 10% of the battery without being in range mode. You always have access to 0-90% and range gets you the extra 90-100%.

So Standard mode charges to 90% and you see the full amount of that 90% charge without having to switch to Range mode to pick up the bottom 10%? Do I understand that correctly? First I've heard you didn't have to switch to Range mode to access the bottom 10%. I like that. It is very straightforward. That's how the LEAF works though they don't use the same terminology and in battery saving mode it charges to 80% instead of 90%.

Immediately after I sat and adjusted the seat back the drivers display had various caution icons popping up saying regen disengaged and abs disengaged.... The rep said he never saw that before and called over a tech who said to power down and restart the car. We did that in less than 30 seconds and the car powered back to normal and we were off.
You maybe duplicated a memorized config for one of the factory testers who used those setups. No regen/abs sounds like what you'd need to test the brakes!

So Standard mode charges to 90% and you see the full amount of that 90% charge without having to switch to Range mode to pick up the bottom 10%? Do I understand that correctly? First I've heard you didn't have to switch to Range mode to access the bottom 10%. I like that. It is very straightforward. That's how the LEAF works though they don't use the same terminology and in battery saving mode it charges to 80% instead of 90%.

That's correct. I was pretty explicit in my conversation with the employee so unless he's just *wrong* (he was confident in his answer) then yes.

Brakes on the Model S bite early and easy. I over-braked coming to my first stop being so used to the Roadster. Feeling good about the brakes ...

Getting out of the car puts it in park (if you didn't) and shuts it off. Re-entering the car turns accessory mode back on (screens come on, music resumes). Putting foot on brake turns car on. There's a sensor in the seat to know if you're there.

Got a demo of attaching iphone to the car via bluetooth and playing music as well as making a phone call (and having a conversation). That'll get uploaded later today after I get home.

I got the timing just wrong trying to re-open the door right as the door handle went to pull back into the car. I was grasping the handle and it wasn't opening -- I had to let the handle go back into the car and re-execute the motions to open it. The behavior and delays others have talked about here don't bother me because the mechanism is very Roadster-like. I've become used to it not being directly linked to the mechanics of opening the door.

I'm going to go back out to the event for a little while and then head home. I got some footage of the green car. Will see if I can get more of the ... brown? as well as the various interiors. And VINs (I'm not sure if we have them all yet?)

Kids area was great; would have no hesitation bringing little ones to a test drive event despite the "no kids under 8 in the car during the test drive" rule. As others have noted, the kids room was a large interior conference room (well populated by kids and adults) with "Cars" playing on a TV, a little kids seating area with low tables and bean bag chairs and an abundance of tesla coloring books and crayons. the tesla staffers covering the area were great and very kid friendly. my 5 and 7 year old girls had a great time while my wife and the older two kids and I did the ride briefing and test drive. Great family-friendly setup.