Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: New York, 7/20- 7-/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All -

Did my test drive this morning -- wet and all. Rain broke for the actual drive but the roads were wet. Still got the opportunity to try out the acceleration (and was encouraged to do so) and the car held to the pavement like a magnet!

I drove the Brown car with Tan Leather Interior and Matte Obeche Wood trim - non performance. Thats the closest to what I'm getting -- Non performance, Pacific Blue, Tan, Matte Obeche -- it looked amazing inside! I will also be getting the Tech Package and the 85Kwh battery.

Can't really expand on what others have said here - the car is amazing! I was on the fence about Pano or no Pano and a family member sat in the back with no problem so I am not going to get the pano roof. I'll be getting the black roof - not body color.

Hope all you other NY'ers enjoy your test drives!

Aaron

Really interested in wet weather performance, and looks like NY got rain and then some today.

Thanks @aaron.s for the initial feedback. Anyone else?

Also, if you happen to have noticed, how was the child care area? We're dumping the kids for the drive, and my wife is concerned that it won't be safe / adequate for my 3 and 6 year olds, and she will miss the test drive.

I drove the white performance model in the heavy rain today in NY/NJ. I was also a passenger in the other performance model (forget the color). The rain was very heavy at times, and the roads were very slick. The course itself was quite curvy with not a lot of straight ahead acceleration opportunities. Finally, the traffic was heavy but flowing quickly.

Simply put: the traction control is AMAZING.

While I was a passenger the driver accelerated very quickly starting from a stop turning right (off a red). Anyone who knows anything about fast cars knows that doing this on wet pavement with high torque is a recipe for fishtailing at best and spinning out at worst. This car handled it perfectly. Being in the back seat I could hear and feel the rear wheels slipping, hopping, and the power cutting back to them. It was clear that each rear wheel was reacting independently. And, the car still accelerated like a bat our of hell.

While I was a driver I did a straight ahead, from a stop, floor it, 0-60 run. Because of the wet pavement, and likely due to gravel and bumps in the road, again the traction control jumped in and cut power and controlled the launch and acceleration. Interestingly wheel slip was not worst at launch, but at about 30 MPH at which point the wheels skipped/hopped and power was clearly cut to regain control.

I didn't try pushing the traction control in a moving turn (skid pad style), it would have simply been too dangerous.

Other wet driving impressions: the auto wipers worked well in that they seemed to notice the rain and wipe it away. The visibility was reasonable, given prior comments on visibility. Lastly, the rear HD camera had serious issues with water dripping down and obscuring the view -- nothing major, but you kept wanting to go outside and wipe it with your sleeve.

Overall, as I said, the traction control was very good, and the wet weather performance was remarkable. It would be very difficult to spin the car or get it to go out of control.

I drove the white performance model in the heavy rain today in NY/NJ. I was also a passenger in the other performance model (forget the color). The rain was very heavy at times, and the roads were very slick. The course itself was quite curvy with not a lot of straight ahead acceleration opportunities. Finally, the traffic was heavy but flowing quickly.

Simply put: the traction control is AMAZING.

While I was a passenger the driver accelerated very quickly starting from a stop turning right (off a red). Anyone who knows anything about fast cars knows that doing this on wet pavement with high torque is a recipe for fishtailing at best and spinning out at worst. This car handled it perfectly. Being in the back seat I could hear and feel the rear wheels slipping, hopping, and the power cutting back to them. It was clear that each rear wheel was reacting independently. And, the car still accelerated like a bat our of hell.

While I was a driver I did a straight ahead, from a stop, floor it, 0-60 run. Because of the wet pavement, and likely due to gravel and bumps in the road, again the traction control jumped in and cut power and controlled the launch and acceleration. Interestingly wheel slip was not worst at launch, but at about 30 MPH at which point the wheels skipped/hopped and power was clearly cut to regain control.

I didn't try pushing the traction control in a moving turn (skid pad style), it would have simply been too dangerous.

Other wet driving impressions: the auto wipers worked well in that they seemed to notice the rain and wipe it away. The visibility was reasonable, given prior comments on visibility. Lastly, the rear HD camera had serious issues with water dripping down and obscuring the view -- nothing major, but you kept wanting to go outside and wipe it with your sleeve.

Overall, as I said, the traction control was very good, and the wet weather performance was remarkable. It would be very difficult to spin the car or get it to go out of control.

MSP has enough power to spin the tires even at 30mph so its not surprising your traction control was engaging at those speeds in the wet weather. Another possibility is just a slick patch in the road or a deeper puddle causing slight hydroplane effects. Regardless, no real surprise and its nice to hear the system seems to work well :)

Currently charging the roadster in new haven ... Hopefully on my way in less than 2 hours and at the event by 1 (drive is at 3).
Forgot my cameras but I do have my new camcorder with widescreen lens so I'm hoping for some good video!

Really interested in wet weather performance, and looks like NY got rain and then some today.

Thanks @aaron.s for the initial feedback. Anyone else?

Also, if you happen to have noticed, how was the child care area? We're dumping the kids for the drive, and my wife is concerned that it won't be safe / adequate for my 3 and 6 year olds, and she will miss the test drive.

The child care area was in a large conference room well away from the outside doors etc. Enjoy your drive!!! I was there late Friday.

Drove the Brown vehicle today. I had the "Tesla Grin" during acceleration. :biggrin:

IMGA0724.JPG
IMGA0722.JPG