Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Portland, OR, 7/20 - 7/22

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking into consideration that the rear lenses look relatively translucent in the day time, there is something about translucent lenses and chrome that (in my eyes) looks gaudy.

Interesting! I haven't thought of the clear lenses as gaudy, but when I look back at the photos of the original prototypes, I sure wish they had kept the red lenses. Less busy looking and they don't clash with some of the colors the way the gray sections of the current tail lights do. If they were going to go with squiqqles inside a clear lens, I would have at least appreciated amber signals and larger illuminated areas for braking. See Audi A7 for example...

Anyway, I like the chrome accents on some of the colors, as I said. Doesn't read as gaudy to me, but to each his own. I hope that Tesla will sell enough of these that there's a rich market for aftermarket trim pieces! :)

Google is notorious for over estimating drive time. It's actually right around 15 minutes... which is still great!

Although Friday around now it might actually show that. I believe they wrap up the drives at 3pm though.

Most or all of the recent Get Amped events seem to be providing a 15 minute test drive. Probably this has more to do with the fact that there are fewer people than at the initial California events so they just have more time available.

That looks like a silver car in the picture. Are there two cars in the store, one of which is silver the other pearl white? Or is the picture giving a false silver hue to the pearl white car? I'm looking for pics of a silver car with pano roof and 19" wheels. Thx!

That cast does kind of make it look silver, but it is the Pearl. This was looking towards the back of the store. On the other side of the skateboard, as you first come in, was a fully operational Silver model (tho with drive disabled), VIN #50.

That cast does kind of make it look silver, but it is the Pearl. This was looking towards the back of the store. On the other side of the skateboard, as you first come in, was a fully operational Silver model (tho with drive disabled), VIN #50.

Picking a nit: I wouldn't think that drive was proactively disabled... The key was not present in the car, that's why it won't drive.

By the way, was talking to one of the T employees from CA there today, when I mentioned the number of res holders as volunteered by this TMC map from Robert.Boston (thank you) - World Map of Model S Reservation Holders - around 12 or so, he said "try adding a zero to that". Indicating there are a lot of people in the PDX/Vancouver area holding a reservation spot (who either don't know about this forum, or decline to post on the map).
Good to get the confirmation. There are only about ~750 Model S reservations on the map, but we know there are about 12,000 reservations total. So, a good first approximation is that you should multiply any regional counts by 16.

I would have preferred this route. Unknown road to Unknown road - Google Maps

Allen has railroad crossings and 92 to Garden Home is a nice 90 deg left turn (without a stop), but Nimbus has the nice curves and less traffic.

Yeah I know those roads well, that would be great. Only fear is getting stuck at the RR for the commuter train that comes through... tho I don't know if it runs on the weekends.

Ok, I've been reading (and drooling) over the previous test drive reports. After my own test drive Friday morning (in the Sig Red Perf) it has exceeded all my expectations.

Portland had a 17 minute course (Tesla copilot said it was the longest course so far, to make up for Portland having to wait so long for their drives!) that had a terrific section of S-curves (no pun intended) in a business park. Great for lane-to-land slalom and handling tests. Two nice on-ramps for speed testing, and a 90° corner at a stop light with no traffic in front of me so I got to floor it. Even on the slightly damp pavement the traction control was nicely managed with just a hint of rear end jump. Always in control and breath taking performance.

Then to top it off got to chat with George B for about 30 minutes on lots of topics. My wife and I are really impressed with George. He is genuine and spoke very clearly about several issues. I asked him about the hill hold mode (not present yet). He described how the engineers are currently prototyping this function with various combinations of motor hold and park brake. They are not yet satisfied with the smoothness upon release so are not going to release that until its perfected. This is EXACTLY the sort of answer I was looking for from a senior executive.

Also asked about production rate. George was (understandably) vague with actual numbers but he very elegantly made the case that their ramp up will be exponential and that Tesla would rather delay customer shipments "for a few weeks" in order to guarantee the product quality is superb even if it makes some people unhappy re. stock price and making them wait. His explanation was more elequant but thats the gist. I admire his directness and passion in explaining the situation.

I am 100% satisfied this is a car I will love for years to come. IMO the only edge that Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW, etc. will have for the next few years is their (possibly) better interior quality and high tech options. That doesn't bother me.... the drivability, quality and passion make this the right choice for me. I am 100% satisfied with this vehicle!