Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get Amped Tour: Seattle, 7/6 - 7/8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is embarrassing to admit, but do standard vehicles do the "regen" feel of slowing down? I have literally never driven a standard or rode in one. Sounds like automatics are the only cars that coast? Or am I reading it wrong?

No. You're correct. When you downshift using a manual transmission there is significant drag. If you put an automatic in L and then take your foot off the accelerator you'll get a partial idea of what downshifting in a manual is like. In the Land Rover you always used the gears in preference to the brakes because the brakes fade very quickly. The Tesla feels the manual downshifting (from all the descriptions--I haven't driven on yet) but without the inconvenience of actually shifting.

This is embarrassing to admit, but do standard vehicles do the "regen" feel of slowing down? I have literally never driven a standard or rode in one. Sounds like automatics are the only cars that coast? Or am I reading it wrong?
In my, somewhat limited, experience, across automatics the "hold speed" vs. "decay" coast varies dramatically. One of the rentals I had was a Buick (no idea what model) and felt "cruise control"-esque in the way it maintained speed. I found it very uncomfortable to drive. Every other car I've owned and driven have had at least some speed decay when the gas pedal is released. Additionally, in vehicles I've owned the amount of decay fluctuates depending on your speed; perhaps it's really where you are in the gear's range, but I'm not really a car guy so someone else should speak to it.

It sounds like cruise control to me.
Perhaps what you want is the ability to have an always "half on" cruise control. Half in the sense that it maintains current speed, but never accelerates above it.

In the Prius, and presumably other Toyota hybrids, after some practice you can hold the accelerator pedal at just the right position so that you don't use either battery power or engine power. The car slows down but very slowly. This is the most efficient way to drive the Prius because you don't throw away energy by regenerating*, but it takes quite a bit of practice to get it right. Additional instrumentation helps a lot.

* Regeneration in the Prius happens when you let your foot off the accelerator. It also happens when you apply the brakes. The amount of regeneration using only the accelerator is small. Toyota did this to mimic and automatic transmission however in doing so they made the Prius much harder to drive efficiently. Capturing some of the kinetic energy using regeneration is much better than throwing it all away in the form of heat the way old fashioned cars do, but it's not as efficient as using kinetic energy to glide because when gliding only a small amount of energy is lost to heat (in the tires and bearings).

W. Brown measured the regeneration that happens on the 2004 Prius:

WB> All of the following records are data captures that occurred from 50
WB> MPH to 10 MPH. Each record is the result of the average from 3
WB> separate runs:
WB>
WB> Mode.........Amps.......Seconds........Cumulative w/h
WB> Braking.......90...........9................54.03
WB> Braking.......70..........15................64.38
WB> Braking.......60..........19................71.01
WB> D.............18..........51................59.50
WB> B.............26..........30................48.35
WB>
WB> It is interesting that in this test, "B" is almost 19% less
WB> effective than "D."
WB>
WB> Of great interest however, is the "Braking @ 60 Amps" runs. This is
WB> by far the most efficient way to slow down a 2004 Prius. In fact it
WB> is almost 32% more efficient than "B."
WB>
WB> Here is a table that illustrates the several common ways we slow the
WB> Prius down and their ratings in efficiency percentages. "Braking @
WB> 60 Amps" is the most efficient way to slow the 2004 Prius down;
WB> therefore it is the 100% baseline or benchmark against which the
WB> others are compared:
WB>
WB> Mode.....................Efficiency
WB> Braking @ 60 Amps...........100%
WB> Braking @ 70 Amps............91%
WB> D............................84%
WB> Braking @ 90 Amps............76%
WB> B............................68%
WB> N.............................0%

I appreciate the positive endorsement, especially coming from owners of similar tech. At the same time, it is a leap of faith for someone who's potentially not wired with the same drivers culture as many others on TMC. I hope that it will be a joy as you say, but if it is not, it is concerning if the brake cannot factor into the regen (e.g. through firmware upgrades). The model I am used to is releasing the Go pedal results in coasting, albeit with speed holding regen braking on a downhill, and regen slowing the car from mild to moderate brake pedal usage. I find this very intuitive. I suspect low regen mode will give me that, but if the car's design does not permit brake pedal regen (e.g. physical limitation, for brake pedal safety) then it casts doubts for me on what range I can expect. Nissan Leaf reviews seem to suggest a 10% loss of Low vs Eco - that probably would be acceptable, I'd have to look at my expected usage. As an aside, I do take the point about cruise control on the freeway.

I'm used to exactly what you are used to. It took me about 45 seconds to get used to the Model S. Definitely arrange for another, longer drive and try both modes. Good luck!

If I picked my test drive during rush hour which directly results in a sucky drive, how is Tesla to blame? The only reason that you can take the leaf out anytime, anywhere, is one of supply. If you give it enough time, anyone will be able to drive a model S on an extended pleasant run.

On the one hand, I should have been more composed in my first email and not so negative (and certainly ungracious of me considering others won't even have the opportunity I had.) But, I think the feedback to the event organizers is valid. They are shooting for an Apple like experience, where all important decisions have effortlessly been made for the customer. I know nothing of Seattle or traffic patterns. Comparing the test drives on youtube for Fremont and LA, Seattle did not seem as good. Further, I think the guidance was more tuned to certain drivers, whereas I would have appreciated more feedback and suggestions for trying the different settings to optimize the time. Again, an area where I thought the Fremont test drives (likely due to the course) were better.

Last edited:
where all important decisions have effortlessly been made for the customer
Some of us, in both software and automobiles, despise this "goal". It reminds me of the government. Taken to its extreme, why do I even get an analog go pedal. They can decide the right speed for me based on the legal limit and sensors on the car, right?

Intelligent defaults, sure. But offering different regen options and handling preferences is evidence that Tesla isn't as limiting/controlling in their design philosophy as this phrasing suggests.

On the one hand, I should have been more composed in my first email and not so negative (and certainly ungracious of me considering others won't even have the opportunity I had.) But, I think the feedback to the event organizers is valid. They are shooting for an Apple like experience, where all important decisions have effortlessly been made for the customer. I know nothing of Seattle or traffic patterns. Comparing the test drives on youtube for Fremont and LA, Seattle did not seem as good. Further, I think the guidance was more tuned to certain drivers, whereas I would have appreciated more feedback and suggestions for trying the different settings to optimize the time. Again, an area where I thought the Fremont test drives (likely due to the course) were handled better.

In that same idea, I don't know why they decided to do so many test drives in such a short amount of time. If they could have given everyone a 20 minute drive or a 30 minute drive but extend each showing a week I think the reservation holders would have appreciated it.

On the one hand, I should have been more composed in my first email and not so negative (and certainly ungracious of me considering others won't even have the opportunity I had.) But, I think the feedback to the event organizers is valid. They are shooting for an Apple like experience, where all important decisions have effortlessly been made for the customer. I know nothing of Seattle or traffic patterns. Comparing the test drives on youtube for Fremont and LA, it is night and day when compared to Seattle. Further, I think the guidance was more tuned to certain drivers, whereas I would have appreciated more feedback and suggestions for trying the different settings to optimize the time. Again, an area where I thought the Fremont test drives (likely due to the course) were handled much better.
While my drive was only 12 minutes long, I took the time to dial the settings I thought I would like best after entering the car. The Tesla copilot could navigate the settings very quickly, but it was very hard to compare during such a short run. Yes, the Fremont run seemed better, but again, Tesla has little control over geography. There are no private stretches of road in downtown Seattle.

In that same idea, I don't know why they decided to do so many test drives in such a short amount of time. If they could have given everyone a 20 minute drive or a 30 minute drive but extend each showing a week I think the reservation holders would have appreciated it.

They have potentially 10,000+ reservation holders that want a test drive so that had to prepare for the worst (everyone shows up). People should easily be able to get more personal test drives from any store this fall/winter.

I think its because of the thread on here where people thought it was insane to lock in options before a test drive. Time is of the essence when orders are being locked in and have been for several months.

In that same idea, I don't know why they decided to do so many test drives in such a short amount of time.
Any delay would have its cost. In fact, the existing schedule was later than I would have liked. I signed my MVPA before sitting in a vehicle with a functional battery and motor. Much less test driving or test riding.

"But, you could have deferred..."
Yes, I could have. But I made my decision (perhaps foolishly) as a mixture of impatience ("I want my oompa loompa now!"), optimism ("The test drive won't make me regret the choice"), configuration/exclusivity (Signature), market confidence ("If I don't like it, I could sell it for at least break-even pretty easily, if I do it quickly."), and hope/trust (that Tesla the company will survive at least until my keys arrive).

Regarding the comments on regen of the Model S vs the Leaf: I've had a Leaf since September to tide me over till Model S becomes available and was also fortunate enough to test drive Model Sin LA. It took me about 2 seconds to adapt to the difference in regen during the test drive.

Intelligent defaults, sure. But offering different regen options and handling preferences is evidence that Tesla isn't as limiting/controlling in their design philosophy as this phrasing suggests.

I enjoy the retail experience where someone knowledgable makes sure you get to all the important points, without requiring me to order it in my mind and make decisions, hence effortlessly. When I ran into the unfamiliar regen my mind went blank, so I didn't get to hit required purchase details. Given the very real constraints Tesla are operating under I think they're doing a pretty great job. My feedback is that I would have appreciated more hand holding given the constraints of the course - that they pick up on my comfort/discomfort and suggest different things.

I enjoy the retail experience where someone knowledgable makes sure you get to all the important points, without requiring me to order it in my mind and make decisions, hence effortlessly. When I ran into the unfamiliar regen my mind went blank, so I didn't get to hit required purchase details. Given the very real constraints Tesla are operating under I think they're doing a pretty great job. My feedback is that I would have appreciated more hand holding given the constraints of the course - that they pick up on my comfort/discomfort and suggest different things.
You expect sales staff to mindread?

I also did my test drive in Seattle today. A couple of observations:

The Model S displaces the Porsche Cayenne as the best handling large vehicle I have ever driven.
If you have driven a Porsche with PDK you will have an easy time adjusting the regenerative breaking. They aren't the same, but similar feeling.
Tan seats look much better in person than on the web site. Much less "mustard" in the color
Car was streaming from Slacker radio. I am no audiophile, but the sound plus system sounded good.
For exterior colors we have been trying to choose between Gray, Blue , and Brown. The gray looked good, but the blue looked much richer. The brown was not there, but one of the staffers practically cooed about the brown. She described it like melted chocolate when it was in the sun.

I do not think it unreasonable for sales staff to operate from a structured script, as appropriate, and ask the customer questions as to what they think, and adjust accordingly.

I agree. Just a couple of questions could really improve the starting point. "what car do you drive now?"
"what's your driving style?"
"should we start with some settings like your current car, or do you want to start off with something more sporty?"

Questions like these could help a driver feel more comfortable in the car. There's no point in showing a Roadster driver the squishy settings at all, but a Lincoln owner might prefer the Comfort steering and low regen, at least to start.

For exterior colors we have been trying to choose between Gray, Blue , and Brown. The gray looked good, but the blue looked much richer. The brown was not there, but one of the staffers practically cooed about the brown. She described it like melted chocolate when it was in the sun.

The mirror-like brown is indeed gorgeous in the photos, I imagine it's much better in real life. My personal preference is Sig red (it'll be my fourth red car :), then the blue, then the dolphin gray with carbon gray wheels, then the brown, and then the multi-coat white. The green is too dark, IMO, and the standard white and black are just... "pedestrian" is the thought. The black looks good, but I've owned a black car and well, just... no.