Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Get J1772 adapter to pop charge port door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These might become popular again with the Model 3. I remembered this discussion from way back. I was trying to figure out how I'm going to get the port door open since I'm keeping my OpenEVSE J1772 and the Model 3 is coming without a fob. The door opener transmitter seems like a great solution.

I would gladly pay for one if there are still any floating around.
I still have the extra one I mentioned above in post #376. Unused except to test. I'll sell for the original $20. PM me if interested.

I wonder if there's a way to pop the chargeport door on the 3 using just the card-fob?

Like maybe just hold the card near the chargeport door?

...that'd be too simple for Tesla, eh? :rolleyes: Or maybe because this requires extra hardware that they're trying to cut out to cheapen the car they won't do it... it would take another card receiver at the chargeport door.

And everybody knows the card is a poor man's key, for the guy who doesn't carry a phone.

..you know, I don't really want to hit phone App buttons to get into my car. I'm going to be a card guy.

New I wonder if there's a way to pop the chargeport door on the 3 using just the card-fob?

Like maybe just hold the card near the chargeport door?
For that matter, if you already have your finger an inch from the charge port door to hold the card there, why not move it an inch closer to gently poke the door, causing it to pop open as it does on a Model S? No RF jiggery-pokery required.

BTW with the newer Model S (Gen IV, 2017) opening the charge port is no longer a hassle, once the car is unlocked simply tap on the forward corner of the charge port and it swings open. I'd love to get that retrofitted onto my Gen I Model S, so handy!

BTW with the newer Model S (Gen IV, 2017) opening the charge port is no longer a hassle, once the car is unlocked simply tap on the forward corner of the charge port and it swings open. I'd love to get that retrofitted onto my Gen I Model S, so handy!
I hadn't realized that was a newer feature. I can attest that it's present on mine, delivered March 2015. Perhaps it arrived at the same time as AP1?

My chargeport door is prehistoric by comparison...
the only way to get is open is to electrically actuate it from a button press from somewhere, several places ..
And the only way to close it is manually.

I wish I had a simple push to open (when the car is unlocked).
Sounds like Tesla got that right with a later release.
If I had that, I would snip my port's RF antenna... until Tesla gets the software right. See below.

But can you push to shut the newest ones, or do you have to electrically shut it?
My push to shut (only) is fine. But I wouldn't mind a convenience shut (see below).

This is a place where all the tech gizmo for automating the opening is just not needed.
(Much like the S door handle erections is not needed).

The only time you want port opened is when you're about to stuff a cable into it.
And you have to be standing right there to do that .. so "press door to open" is fine because you're doing physical stuff in the neighborhood. And vise versa pulling the cable out, you're right there.. shut the door with your finger.

I can understand motorized closure as a convenience if you forget to shut it, hop in and driving with an open flap will just shut it with no user involvement. Is that what the newest gen chareport door does?

Even with autoclosure, there's no need for buttons (anywhere!) to do with chargeport. Free up the space! Not on handles, not on fob, not on the console, nor in an App.. free up all that UI and thought about "opening". A poke will do. You could even come to depend on autoshut... yank the cable out... lazily walk away hop in drive... it closes.

Tesla has created "I can pop your door too - look! " scenario at any Tesla charging site.. Or with a hand carried RF tool .. and is now legacy. It's ridiculous really.

When miscreants start stuffing cucumbers into any Tesla model 3 chargeport parked at the grocery store will Tesla finally disable the RF-to-open feature? Or at least change it to " ( fob in proximity or car unlocked ) AND RF" to open? Just write this one line of code, please Tesla. I think it would be compatible with every car made to date.

(For this post RF means the simple MHz method... not the keyfob hold to open port which is routed through the car's remote entry system and is secure.)

Last edited:
But can you push to shut the newest ones, or do you have to electrically shut it?
You can, although I've never had reason to do so in anger. I guess it's good to know I can if the motor fails.
I can understand motorized closure as a convenience if you forget to shut it, hop in and driving with an open flap will just shut it with no user involvement. Is that what the newest gen chareport door does?
Yes, exactly. In fact it's not so much forgetting, as that's just the workflow -- you pull the handle out and get in the driver's seat. The car takes car of closing the flap, no need to think about it. This is, admittedly, a minor convenience, but it's a nice touch.
When miscreants start stuffing cucumbers into any Tesla chargeport they want.
Ssh, they'll hear you.

Reactions: bak_phy
If someone with a Model S/X/3 + RaspberryPi + small wire on GPIO18 (Pin 12) wants to try my generated RF file I'd like to know if it works :)

Code:
sudo rpitx -i chargeport.txt -m RF -f 433920

Hi there,

I'm looking for a way to interrupt charging when I receive a (temperature dependent) 12V signal. (See here for the complete story.) Unfortunately, I have the older HPWC model, without communication capabilities. I tested the command above (setting the frequency to 315000 kHz since I'm in North America) and it does open the port when it's closed, but it does not interrupt the charge.

Right now, I'm thinking of setting up a server that would tell the car to stop charging using the JSON API. But there are security concerns about letting such server online all the time with access to the car, and I would need to update the token every couple of weeks.

Any other suggestions?

I did some searching and browsing in the forums and I don't see that anyone's asked this already...

I know that the Tesla UMC and the HPWC connectors can pop open the charge port door with the press of the button. I was wondering why Tesla didn't put a similar button on the J1772 adapter, and since they didn't, is there a way to figure out how to get one on there?

I'm not sure how it's talking to the car -- does anyone know? Is it simply a magnetic pulse or something like that?

I'm going to have a HPWC in the garage, but a J1772 at work, so I'd love to be able to figure out a way to put a button on the adapter...

Any brave soul taken apart the UMC yet? :)

Love all this tech talk!!!. however there are three options already available:
Hold the trunk button down on the keyfob for a few seconds...boom
If you have your key on you, press the charger door and...Boom
Use your phone app....BOOM