Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting a bit cheesed off with software glitches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New member here.

I genuinely like my M3LR but lately I'm getting really cheesed off with all the software glitches. In the last week I've had:-

-Cruise control refused to work for an entire 50 mile journey.
-Mobile phone wouldn't connect until I did the 2 button reset.
-Mobile phone wouldn't hang up after a call until I did the 2 button reset.
-Spotify refused to connect one day.
-70 mph speed limits seem to have disappeared on the motorway.

I've had my car 20 months and have driven 50k miles so I spend a lot of time in my car. Initially the software was rock solid but seems to be deteriorating as they update it. I really don't care that it can flash it's lights and play a tune I just want the basics to be dependable.

Ami I being pedantic or have any other owners noticed more problems recently?

New member here.

I genuinely like my M3LR but lately I'm getting really cheesed off with all the software glitches. In the last week I've had:-

-Cruise control refused to work for an entire 50 mile journey.
-Mobile phone wouldn't connect until I did the 2 button reset.
-Mobile phone wouldn't hang up after a call until I did the 2 button reset.
-Spotify refused to connect one day.
-70 mph speed limits seem to have disappeared on the motorway.

I've had my car 20 months and have driven 50k miles so I spend a lot of time in my car. Initially the software was rock solid but seems to be deteriorating as they update it. I really don't care that it can flash it's lights and play a tune I just want the basics to be dependable.

Ami I being pedantic or have any other owners noticed more problems recently?
What version software are you on? Theres a thread on disappearing speed limits here

Last edited by a moderator:
You’re Not being pedantic, it’s sadly just a fact of owning a Tesla. Personally I think I’m on the best software version I’ve had in my 12 months ownership (although todays update has possibly changed that).

Highs and lows, some good bits, some bad. I Still compare this to my last car, my wife’s car, work cars and other cars I use/get rides in and certainly wouldn’t change it back.

A 2 button reset takes 10 seconds of your time and 30 seconds for the car to reset - first world problems and all

Reactions: Lord Farquad
I get the impression that Tesla’s real software superiority is the one under the hood managing the BMS, motors, thermals, charging characteristics, etc
The front end software is the same crap that you see everywhere.
You’re probably right on the first part. The front end is vastly inferior to most others I have experienced. LR’s much derided ICTP with CarPlay is better and their Pivi Pro is way better. Same goes for BMW’s iDrive.

It’s a pity and let’s down a good car.

Plenty of annoyances with Teslas software but the following still win me over.

Great cars to drive manually
Charging reliability & convenience
Efficiency, range etc
Battery tech (I just left the car unplugged at Heathrow for 6 weeks - only 3% SOC drop)
Simple walk-up, open & drive
Using a ring as car key!
Lack of buttons - in most cases voice control works well (for us)
App features

I guess I've learned to live with all the other stuff like erratic wipers with spray, AHB (especially as we cannot override on Autopilot) and now losing USS on my new car. Cameras are also poor quality.

I've regularly taken test drives when other new EVs are launched just to see what else is available and although there are many things to like on most, overall I still prefer what Tesla offers (for now)

Agree with a lot of your pluses there, apart from lack of buttons.

I think the problem Tesla have is they’re not setting the bar high enough in trying to improve. If you like, they’re resting on their laurels and living off their image to some extent. I will reiterate that I really like the car, but the lack of effort to make a better product in terms of features and software is frustrating.

If they do give us CarPlay, well I suspect that will massively improve my experience and satisfaction with the car unless they screw up the implementation.

Reactions: Neilio and Mik3LR
Plenty of annoyances with Teslas software but the following still win me over.

Great cars to drive manually
Charging reliability & convenience
Efficiency, range etc
Battery tech (I just left the car unplugged at Heathrow for 6 weeks - only 3% SOC drop)
Simple walk-up, open & drive
Using a ring as car key!
Lack of buttons - in most cases voice control works well (for us)
App features

I guess I've learned to live with all the other stuff like erratic wipers with spray, AHB (especially as we cannot override on Autopilot) and now losing USS on my new car. Cameras are also poor quality.

I've regularly taken test drives when other new EVs are launched just to see what else is available and although there are many things to like on most, overall I still prefer what Tesla offers (for now)
Oh, absolutely agree with your points on the car itself. It’s a joy to drive, I love it to bits.
But this thread was about the software, and that side of things does lag somewhat behind. The latest “Auto Defogging” crap is yet another annoyance that wasn’t there before but became “a thing” because they’re trying too hard to be clever…

Reactions: Js1977
Well, not while Musk is there.

I know it's by no means certain but we live in hope that he's gone long before your prediction (tomorrow would be great).
A bit off topic here, but…. I don’t know…. I’m trying very hard not to get shepherded into the current anti-Musk narrative.
A lot of the bad things I hear are opinion and predictions of terrible things that may or may not yet come to pass.
I think he’s probably quite a clever guy and he probably still has a lot he can give Tesla.
I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt for the time being…

I'm afraid my cynicism started soon after my family in the USA bought their current Model X and the way Tesla treated them with a +$100k car.

They were invited to join the FSD beta, then told some hardware had to change. After months Tesla changed the hardware then they were told it was the wrong item, then told something else must change but they should pay and after all that have been told that the car is somehow incompatible anyway.

...It hasn't stopped them sending another recent invite to sign up of course.

I'm afraid my cynicism started soon after my family in the USA bought their current Model X and the way Tesla treated them with a +$100k car.

They were invited to join the FSD beta, then told some hardware had to change. After months Tesla changed the hardware then they were told it was the wrong item, then told something else must change but they should pay and after all that have been told that the car is somehow incompatible anyway.

...It hasn't stopped them sending another recent invite to sign up of course.
Yes, my brother in law bought a Model X and it’s been causing him lots of problems. Tesla’s attitude has been one of utter arrogance, bordering on contempt.
They need an attitude readjustment PDQ, and the number of inventory cars currently available in the UK makes me hope that it’ll be coming soon.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems there's a considerable amount of frustration with Tesla's front end software but a lot of respect for what is going on regarding battery management etc.

Tesla still wins for me over other EVs mainly due to the Supercharger network and (to a lesser extent) their efficiency. I certainly don't think they'll be able to maintain their prices with stiffer competition coming all the time.

Carplay or android auto would be a pain in the arse, because they wouldn't be hooked in the range calculations etc. My wife has an ID3, which is utter crap btw, with android auto but I still have to use the in build crap maps for long drives.