Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting billed for using a normal looking wall connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But that area isn't labeled Guest CHARGING.

What would be your take on this?
x.jpeg

source: Tesla Wall Connector Billing - techzelle

This hit on one of my thoughts and suspicions. The tenants probably were informed about the chargers, but even if not, have the ability to enquire and complain on behalf of their guests, assuming the OP was actually a guest of someone living there.

It might be that the intention was for it to be free for guests, but got used by the general public as word spread about the free charger, so the apartment owner reacted by charging for it out of self-defense without thinking about consequences, probably regretting the decision to put it up in the first place. Is it possible to somehow provide the guests with a way to communicate with the charger to enter some code to make it not charge?
Speaking theoretically, Tesla could provide the ability of the site host to maintain a white list of cars that could charge for free while any others not on the list would be charged a prescribed fee. This would mean that any vehicle that doesn't communicate with the Wall Connector like a Tesla could not be recognized and therefore would be ineligible for the white list.

Speaking theoretically, Tesla could provide the ability of the site host to maintain a white list of cars that could charge for free while any others not on the list would be charged a prescribed fee. This would mean that any vehicle that doesn't communicate with the Wall Connector like a Tesla could not be recognized and therefore would be ineligible for the white list.
Actually, although I don't know much about their chargers, seems like I remember reading about destination chargers having the ability to do something like that to block public access.

Actually, although I don't know much about their chargers, seems like I remember reading about destination chargers having the ability to do something like that to block public access.
Yes, there is already a setting that can require Tesla digital communication and disable charging if it's not present. Normally, it will fall back to normal J1772 signaling.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H