Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting ready for my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm getting a Leaf!!

So our second car, 2002 Mazda Protege5, is dying. We really need a second car and most of our daily driving is short trips. School and back, daycare and back, groceries and back, school and back. There is no need to be burnt gas for this.

Just test drove a leaf and it is actually a really nice car. It handles really well, and is probably better off the line than our Kia Sorrento. It can be heated and cooled remotely or via a timer for our frosty Wisconsin mornings which is nice for the wife. I'm planning on using the 7500 tax credit towards the down payment on my Model 3.

This will also make waiting for the 3 a little easier:)

Fellow Milwaukean - Not sure I agree with your thoughts that a Leaf is nice!! :) (I kid) However, do agree that the short trips needed around the area and frigid mornings do change our mindset and needs in a vehicle... Holding out for my M3, and hoping my current car doesnt crap the bed.... I would hate to have to make the same decisions you have!! Good luck.

That's actually not a bad idea.

I've seen new Leafs advertised for less than $15k. I realize their residual value is in the toilet, but it's possible that you could drive it for a year or two, use Nissan's 0% financing, get the credit, apply the credit to the Model 3 as a downpayment and then collect the Model 3's credit later. Even if you have the Leaf for 18 months, you'd have paid down about $4500 off what you initially paid, and then have a nearly new Leaf to sell at roughly $10k to break even on the remaining loan. If you factor in the credit, you'd only have to sell at $3k to literally break even.

Hmm...

I assume receiving the credit on the Leaf wouldn't impact a credit on the Model 3?

You should give it a test drive! It's really is nice. It's ugly for sure but it drives well and the features are pretty good.;)

I'm just going to have it for a couple years anyway I will trade it in wheni get my M3.

Hope to see you at a Milwaukee supercharger someday!

That's actually not a bad idea.

I've seen new Leafs advertised for less than $15k. I realize their residual value is in the toilet, but it's possible that you could drive it for a year or two, use Nissan's 0% financing, get the credit, apply the credit to the Model 3 as a downpayment and then collect the Model 3's credit later. Even if you have the Leaf for 18 months, you'd have paid down about $4500 off what you initially paid, and then have a nearly new Leaf to sell at roughly $10k to break even on the remaining loan. If you factor in the credit, you'd only have to sell at $3k to literally break even.

Hmm...

I assume receiving the credit on the Leaf wouldn't impact a credit on the Model 3?
Good question. I don't know if you only get the credit once or always get it on any new electric car.

I reserved late, end of April. My credit will likely be reduced when I get mine.

I'm averaging 3.8 miles/kWh...and that's 85% city. I gun it at every stop sign and stop light, however...because it's fun. So, don't take my efficiency numbers at face value.

You can change regen, the Leaf has a "B" mode that is more aggressive.

I'm getting ready for my M≡ by ordering my HPWC. I did that yesterday. I wanted to make sure that I'm not trying to claim an EVSE credit and an EV credit in the same tax year. From what I've heard some were not able to claim both in the same tax year mainly due to the AMT.

Just to chime in. I bought a Leaf back in May in order to see what the EV lifestyle would be like. Sold my FJ Cruiser to do so and pay off some of my wife's school loans. But I digress. I wanted to chip in and say that I get 4.9 - 5.1 miles/kWh down in Atlanta. I'm no hypermiler but I drive very consciously regarding my range. I chose the setting to only charge to 80% to preserve the battery since they don't have a battery management system.

I like the leaf, haven't paid for gas in 6 months and got mine used off lease for a song. Enjoy yours, mine is only an S so you'll be happier!

Just to chime in. I bought a Leaf back in May in order to see what the EV lifestyle would be like. Sold my FJ Cruiser to do so and pay off some of my wife's school loans. But I digress. I wanted to chip in and say that I get 4.9 - 5.1 miles/kWh down in Atlanta. I'm no hypermiler but I drive very consciously regarding my range. I chose the setting to only charge to 80% to preserve the battery since they don't have a battery management system.

I like the leaf, haven't paid for gas in 6 months and got mine used off lease for a song. Enjoy yours, mine is only an S so you'll be happier!
Thanks for the info:). I was wondering about battery management.

Reactions: CTreast
So I just ran some numbers. Lease would coat about 8,00 over two years. Buying the car, selling it in two years, putting the entire $7500 federal rebate into the car and selling it in two years with a 50% resale value - about $6000. That's assuming we could get 50% of what we paid which might be generous due to the new Leaf that's due to come out then. Leaning towards lease.

So I just ran some numbers. Lease would coat about 8,00 over two years. Buying the car, selling it in two years, putting the entire $7500 federal rebate into the car and selling it in two years with a 50% resale value - about $6000. That's assuming we could get 50% of what we paid which might be generous due to the new Leaf that's due to come out then. Leaning towards lease.

I think you could make buying work if you could manage to wrangle one of the really cheap Leafs out there and get the 0% finance offer Nissan is currently floating.

Here's a 2016 Leaf S for $13,731. Say you buy that one and factor in another $3k for taxes and shipping, so you've got a new Leaf for $16,731 delivered to your doorstep. Finance that entire amount through Nissan Financial at 0% for 48 months and for the sake of ease, we'll anticipate your delivery of the Model 3 exactly two years later. That means you'd have made 24 payments of $348.56 for a total of $8365.50, which isn't far off your lease cost expectation.

You'd still owe $8365.50 on the Leaf, but you would have already collected the $7500 Federal EV credit, assuming your tax burden is high enough. That means you'd only "owe" about $865.50 on the Leaf if you put the entire credit on the Nissan. Alternatively, even with a "new" Leaf out there, I think you could probably sell your Leaf for very close to the $8000 owed. Looking on AutoTrader right now, the lowest-priced 2-year-old Nissan Leaf S with under 30k miles I can find is $7999, so you'd be in the ballpark at breaking even and pocketing the tax rebate.

Just my $0.02.

I'm averaging 3.8 miles/kWh...and that's 85% city. I gun it at every stop sign and stop light, however...because it's fun. So, don't take my efficiency numbers at face value.

You can change regen, the Leaf has a "B" mode that is more aggressive.

We picked up a "new old stock" 2015 SV in May. Indicated range each day throughout the spring/summer has been 90+ miles, but we actually see around mid-80's. On the cooler days, say 38 in the morning (can anyone believe we haven't dipped below freezing yet?!) it indicates around 80 miles. I installed an L2 EVSE so we plug in every night now and I set the schedule to pre-heat the car each morning to prevent burning range right away. I suspect once the snow flies we will see a much reduced range, but only time will tell.

From Mid May to now we are getting 4.35 miles/kWh. My wife drives the car from Bloomington to downtown Minneapolis on 35W 5 days a week and we use it for almost everything on weekends and evenings. My car sits largely unused during the evenings and weekends so our total fuel savings is actually better than we anticipated. Our kids have named the Leaf "Speedy", can't wait to see what they come up with when the Tesla lands at our house :)

Reactions: JohnSnowNW
Thanks for the info JC. The preheating will be great here in Milwaukee.

Do you have the 30kwh battery?

I think our Kia will sit around most of the time as well. We pick ours up today! Super excited to cut the carbon emissions and have something to tide me over to the 3:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info JC. The preheating will be great here in Milwaukee.

Do you have the 30kwh battery?

I think our Kia will sit around most of the time as well. Our daily router is many short back and forth trips to school and local errands. We pick ours up today! Super excited to cut the carbon emissions and have something to tide me over to the 3:)

We use the Leaf for all our driving needs in the Metro, when we only need to take one vehicle. I guarantee you won't want to take the Kia if you don't have to.

The 30kWh battery wasn't offered before 2016, so he has the 24.

What are you doing for charging?

We also purchase wind power through Excel Energy, to offset our charging needs. Your utility may have a similar option.

We use the Leaf for all our driving needs in the Metro, when we only need to take one vehicle. I guarantee you won't want to take the Kia if you don't have to.

The 30kWh battery wasn't offered before 2016, so he has the 24.

What are you doing for charging?

For now it will be just 120v trickle and some local charging stations(grocery store and mall have them). Our daily mileage will easily be replenished over night.

We will be adding 220v to the garage soon for the Leaf and eventual M3.

I understand you have to send the charger away to have a 220v plug put on it and get a 120v pigtail. Do you know of other solutions?