Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Getting the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" Error

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my recent fender-bender and consequent repairs (all documented here), as of this morning I am getting the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" error message on my dash (picture attached).
MVIMG_20171208_084106.jpg

I was driving on AP1 happily (and without an issue) when the car chimed, turned off the cruise control and threw this error.

Since then I have tried to reboot the main screen computer in the car (in Park, hold in both steering wheel scroll buttons), but that (as expected) did not do anything for the error and it remains.

This is not (as of right now) hampering my ability to drive the vehicle or any other critical functions, but it is disabling any sort of driver assistance (Cruise Control, Autpilot).

The distance sensors still seem to be active, as I am seeing their cones activate on the vehicle when I'm close to something. Also, my car's on version 8.1 firmware. It updated to it while it was in the shop getting repaired at some point, I believe.

I've gotten in touch with the repair facility, where I had just picked up the car when this error started popping up this morning (Service King Collision Repair of Glen Burnie, MD), and they've asked me to drop by on Monday. They're saying they'll need to hook it up to a computer to check the code and perhaps reset it.

More to come, I'm sure. In the meantime, has anyone else ever had this happen? How did you resolve it?

That happened to me. It would start/stop working randomly (would not come back for at least several hours). Per the message, I E-mailed the service center and they remotely pulled the logs to confirm a new camera/computer assembly was required. After spending about a day at the service center, I have a new AP camera/computer and it's been rock solid ever since.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: darxsys and Kross
... After spending about a day at the service center, I have a new AP camera/computer and it's been rock solid ever since.

Did it take a while for them to get the replacement camera/computer ordered for you? Or did they have it on hand?

I just got out of repairs from a fender bender and it took a couple of months to get the Tesla body parts. Not looking forward to another long wait. But, I guess this time at least I can still drive around in my car.

That error means there's a calibration failure in getting the radar to agree with the camera. Lack of calibration can be a hardware, software, or environmental problem. If the radar and camera don't agree about the environment, the car shuts down the whole system.

Make sure the windshield in front of the camera is clean and that there are no leaves or dirt caked around the radar. If it's environmental, it should come back on its own after some driving. Otherwise, Tesla will need to calibrate the radar or replace faulty hardware.

I also had this happen after a road damage repair. They had to recalibrate the AP camera. It didn't require any new parts.

It did take them a couple of "gos" to finally get mine working right again but I'd forgotten it even happened until I read this thread.

Good luck.

I also had this happen after a road damage repair. They had to recalibrate the AP camera. It didn't require any new parts.

It did take them a couple of "gos" to finally get mine working right again but I'd forgotten it even happened until I read this thread.

Good luck.
Same thing happened to me...I don't think the repair shop fixed it properly cause it seems loose and I can move it around thus the error message from time to time.

Good luck.

Okay, this is good then. I'm dropping by the repair shop Monday morning. Hopefully they can get it taken care of.

That error means there's a calibration failure in getting the radar to agree with the camera. Lack of calibration can be a hardware, software, or environmental problem. If the radar and camera don't agree about the environment, the car shuts down the whole system.

Make sure the windshield in front of the camera is clean and that there are no leaves or dirt caked around the radar. If it's environmental, it should come back on its own after some driving. Otherwise, Tesla will need to calibrate the radar or replace faulty hardware.
Yep; camera area and radar area (in front of nose) appears to be clean. Had my Tesla SC pull logs remotely and they said exactly what you did; it's a calibration failure. I'm dropping by the repair shop Monday morning to have them take a look (it's on my morning commute to work). Hopefully they can fix it. If not, then it's off to the Tesla SC.

Just as an aside, the repair shop could not do it here. It had to be taken to Tesla SC to have the calibration done. Not sure if that's the same, but it might save you a trip and frustration to call first and ask.

You're right. Fortunately the repair shop is on my way to work, so I didn't have to take a special trip for it. Stopped in this morning. They hooked the car up to their computer, did an analysis and a couple of "resets" but the error remains.

Next step now is to take it to the SC. I recently ordered Winter Tires/Wheels from the Tesla store, so may wait for those to be delivered to the SC before I schedule an appointment. That way I can get everything done in one go.

Conclusion:
  • Dropped it off at my closest Tesla Service Center (Owings Mills, MD) and got a loaner.
  • Took one full day; they put on winter tires and fixed the error.
  • To fix the error, they had to recalibrate the radar; did not require any equipment replacement.
  • Car is back to normal now + winter tires are on!
  • Also, minor touches from the Owings Mills Service Center that I appreciated:
    • Summer tires cleaned and wrapped in bags to be stored.
    • Car cleaned inside and out.
    • Complimentary Tesla-branded umbrella! (haha!)
MVIMG_20171219_214021.jpg MVIMG_20171219_214233.jpg MVIMG_20171219_215252.jpg

Reactions: Nick B
After my recent fender-bender and consequent repairs (all documented here), as of this morning I am getting the "Driver Assistance Features Unavailable" error message on my dash (picture attached).
View attachment 265319

I was driving on AP1 happily (and without an issue) when the car chimed, turned off the cruise control and threw this error.

Since then I have tried to reboot the main screen computer in the car (in Park, hold in both steering wheel scroll buttons), but that (as expected) did not do anything for the error and it remains.

This is not (as of right now) hampering my ability to drive the vehicle or any other critical functions, but it is disabling any sort of driver assistance (Cruise Control, Autpilot).

The distance sensors still seem to be active, as I am seeing their cones activate on the vehicle when I'm close to something. Also, my car's on version 8.1 firmware. It updated to it while it was in the shop getting repaired at some point, I believe.

I've gotten in touch with the repair facility, where I had just picked up the car when this error started popping up this morning (Service King Collision Repair of Glen Burnie, MD), and they've asked me to drop by on Monday. They're saying they'll need to hook it up to a computer to check the code and perhaps reset it.

More to come, I'm sure. In the meantime, has anyone else ever had this happen? How did you resolve it?

Same issue not as a result of an accident but Tesla replacing the front radar.

Same here. Got this error on our 2015 P85D at 42,500 miles "coincidentally" with a body shop repainting our front bumper... and not securely reattaching the fasteners on the black plastic bottom "chin". Tesla Pomona CA Service Center recalibrated the radar at no charge... which did not require any equipment replacement.

On Friday morning it started working again. I washed the car, and now think maybe there was just dirt on a sensor somewhere, because its working as it always did.

Also on Friday I got an email from Tesla saying they wanted to schedule a time for me to bring the car in to the service center (to calibrate the radar). This after I waited all week for the mobile service to happen. Tesla really doesn't have their act together on the service front. Of course, that's not news to most here. At least this time it saved me a couple hundred bucks!