Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GFCI breaker for 14-50 outlet directly from main panel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you plan to use the 14-50 receptacles to plug in electric vehicle service equipment (EVSE), i.e. the Tesla Mobile Connector then yes, you need to use a GFCI circuit breaker on each circuit.. If the 14-50 is for an RV (motorhome) then a GFCI circuit breaker is not required or even compatible with most RVs. The same for a kitchen range, a GFCI breaker is not required.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
If you break down the costs of all of the needed components (GFCI breaker, 14-50 receptacle, receptacle housing, cable organizer) you will find that the Tesla Wall Connector install costs the same (or slightly less) than installing the 14-50 receptacle and the Tesla Mobile Connector. You would also save a little on the cost of the wire. The 14-50 requires 3 wires (hot, hot, neutral plus ground) while the Wall Connector does not use the neutral wire.

In your application 2 Tesla Wall Connectors could be set to automatically load balance. (You would install a sub panel and a single 80A or 100A circuit, then dedicated 60A circuits for each Wall Connector. A single Wall Connector would be able to operate at the full 48A while both Wall Connectors operating at the same time would be able to operate at slightly reduced rate, i.e. 32A for the 80A circuit; 40A for the 100A circuit.

• Helpful
Reactions: sewing1 and Rocky_H
Same question…. Installing a 14-50 plug at a relatives house. They don’t own an EV and it’s only going to be used when we travel there. No need for a wall charger like we have at home. Breaker box is in the garage so it’s a simple install quoted at $400. So do I need a GFCI? I’ve heard Teslas can be temperamental when charging though a GFCI breaker.

Same question…. Installing a 14-50 plug at a relatives house. They don’t own an EV and it’s only going to be used when we travel there. No need for a wall charger like we have at home. Breaker box is in the garage so it’s a simple install quoted at $400. So do I need a GFCI? I’ve heard Teslas can be temperamental when charging though a GFCI breaker.
Yes, you are supposed to have a GFCI breaker. If you'll be there for a while(day+), I'd question if you need a new outlet at all, or I'd suggest plugging in at a nearby supercharger. $400(apparently now $500-$550 after the GFCI) will buy a TON of supercharger miles.

If you break down the costs of all of the needed components (GFCI breaker, 14-50 receptacle, receptacle housing, cable organizer) you will find that the Tesla Wall Connector install costs the same (or slightly less) than installing the 14-50 receptacle and the Tesla Mobile Connector. You would also save a little on the cost of the wire. The 14-50 requires 3 wires (hot, hot, neutral plus ground) while the Wall Connector does not use the neutral wire.

In your application 2 Tesla Wall Connectors could be set to automatically load balance. (You would install a sub panel and a single 80A or 100A circuit, then dedicated 60A circuits for each Wall Connector. A single Wall Connector would be able to operate at the full 48A while both Wall Connectors operating at the same time would be able to operate at slightly reduced rate, i.e. 32A for the 80A circuit; 40A for the 100A circuit.
Thank you for your help. I plan to have other non-Tesla EV in near future as well so for now I just want the 14-50 outlets.
One more question: do I still need a sub panel or can I just have the GFCI breakers/wires/14-50 receptacles directly from main panel?

Thank you for your help. I plan to have other non-Tesla EV in near future as well so for now I just want the 14-50 outlets.
One more question: do I still need a sub panel or can I just have the GFCI breakers/wires/14-50 receptacles directly from main panel?
Did you know that Tesla now sells a Wall Connector that has a J1772 connector; this version of the Wall Connector may be able to support the load balancing option (I'm not sure if the J1772 version of the Tesla Wall Connector is based on the Gen2 Wall Connector or the latest Gen3 Wall Connector.) The way that Gen2 and Gen3 perform communications between the Wall Connectors when load balancing is handled differently. Gen2 uses low voltage signaling wires while Gen3 uses WiFi.

Your choice. Depending on the distance involved or if over 100A the sub panel install may be cheaper as you can use aluminum wire for the sub panel (1/3rd the cost of copper wire.) Otherwise separate 3 wire plus ground wires run from the service panel to each 14-50 receptacle. (TMC users have a lot to say about which 14-50 receptacle you should use.) Don't use the cheap 14-50R sold loose from the bins at the home improvement centers. A quality 14-50R will cost $50 to $100, specifically brands such as Hubbell-Bryant (same company) and Cooper. Do not use the inexpensive Leviton 14-50R model 279-S00.

• Helpful
Since the 2017 revision of the National Electrical Code (NEC) GFCI protection has been required for 14-50 receptacles installed for EV charging. (GFCI is not required for 14-50 receptacles for kitchen ranges or when providing power for RV motor homes as the GFCI is not compatible with most RVs.) The electrician should be aware of the local code considerations including the revision of the NEC that has been adopted. If the 14-50 receptacle was installed prior to being required for EV charging circuits you do not need to install the GFCI unless you want to do so. (You can achieve the same protection against getting shocked as provided by the GFCI if you always turn off the breaker at the panel before plugging or unplugging the charging equipment from the 14-50 receptacle.)

• Informative
Did you know that Tesla now sells a Wall Connector that has a J1772 connector; this version of the Wall Connector may be able to support the load balancing option (I'm not sure if the J1772 version of the Tesla Wall Connector is based on the Gen2 Wall Connector or the latest Gen3 Wall Connector.) The way that Gen2 and Gen3 perform communications between the Wall Connectors when load balancing is handled differently. Gen2 uses low voltage signaling wires while Gen3 uses WiFi.

Your choice. Depending on the distance involved or if over 100A the sub panel install may be cheaper as you can use aluminum wire for the sub panel (1/3rd the cost of copper wire.) Otherwise separate 3 wire plus ground wires run from the service panel to each 14-50 receptacle. (TMC users have a lot to say about which 14-50 receptacle you should use.) Don't use the cheap 14-50R sold loose from the bins at the home improvement centers. A quality 14-50R will cost $50 to $100, specifically brands such as Hubbell-Bryant (same company) and Cooper. Do not use the inexpensive Leviton 14-50R model 279-S00.
Thank you for the info and help again 👍

Since the 2017 revision of the National Electrical Code (NEC) GFCI protection has been required for 14-50 receptacles installed for EV charging. (GFCI is not required for 14-50 receptacles for kitchen ranges or when providing power for RV motor homes as the GFCI is not compatible with most RVs.) The electrician should be aware of the local code considerations including the revision of the NEC that has been adopted. If the 14-50 receptacle was installed prior to being required for EV charging circuits you do not need to install the GFCI unless you want to do so. (You can achieve the same protection against getting shocked as provided by the GFCI if you always turn off the breaker at the panel before plugging or unplugging the charging equipment from the 14-50 receptacle.)
Even before that GFCI protection was required in garages anyway, if I’m not mistaken.

Is the GFCI breaker a nationwide requirement, or is it a local code requirement?
National, except each state decides when they adopt new versions of NEC. The 2017 release was when this requirement went into effect that all outlets installed for EV charging have to have GFCI breakers. Most states are on at least 2017, but some are still on older versions. Here's a map as of the Fall 2021 of which states are on which versions of NEC.