Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a report that 4680 cells from Texas aren't ready so they come from Kato Road.
I agree. In late August 2021 there were reports that the Kato Rd. facility is at 70-80% production yield. If not installing 4680s in the cars, what would Jesus Tesla do if not stockpiling batteries for future production? My (educated) guess is that 4680 are harder to use in performance cars (MS, MX, M3P, and MYP) because of somewhat slower cooling and probably slower charging. While moving to 4680 at Fremont for MYLR (2-3 months I guess) Tesla may produce more MYP. I have NO clue how Tesla may avoid 4680 Texas vs 2170 Fremont issue for MYLR as the two cars should have different specs. Were there any indications that Fremont had slower MYLR output in the past several months that would indicate the stopped a line to convert it to 4680 double casting model?

Reactions: DanCar
These have no plates. When the employee lot is full those cars all have plates and are a mix of 3s and Ys and non Tesla.
So again, those could be new deliveries for employees from Fremont. You can see many really new looking Model Ys in older shots of that lot, and NOT all of them have plates (at least not permanent plates). Just a possibility. Don't see it more or less likely than new TX Model Ys. I am somewhat suspicious about the claim because they are charging them at destination chargers and not at the superchargers, but that might be just location.

So again, those could be new deliveries for employees from Fremont. You can see many really new looking Model Ys in older shots of that lot, and NOT all of them have plates (at least not permanent plates). Just a possibility. Don't see it more or less likely than new TX Model Ys. I am somewhat suspicious about the claim because they are charging them at destination chargers and not at the superchargers, but that might be just location.
Do they come charged from Fremont? I would assume if they are going to a location without a DC that they would be charged to 90% from Fremont so why would they be plugged in so close to each other when almost no other cars are charging.

Reactions: Terminator857
Were there any improvements in range, performance or charging when Tesla switched from the 18650 to 2170 cells? If so, that's a big indicator of what type of improvements to expect with the 4680 cells. I've seen reports ranging from the difference that will not be noticeable to anybody except Tesla's own bottom line margin of profit.. to pretty significant improvements in range/performance/charging ability. At this point, no one really knows what to expect or even when the switchover will actually happen. The only thing I would count on.. is Austin being able to duplicate what is coming out on of Shanghai.. as that tech & manufacturing process has proven to be the best Tesla offers.

Were there any improvements in range, performance or charging when Tesla switched from the 18650 to 2170 cells? If so, that's a big indicator of what type of improvements to expect with the 4680 cells. I've seen reports ranging from the difference that will not be noticeable to anybody except Tesla's own bottom line margin of profit.. to pretty significant improvements in range/performance/charging ability. At this point, no one really knows what to expect or even when the switchover will actually happen. The only thing I would count on.. is Austin being able to duplicate what is coming out on of Shanghai.. as that tech & manufacturing process has proven to be the best Tesla offers.
More range, less performance - Plaid still uses 18650

• Informative
Reactions: Daekwan
I believe they designed and used 2170 for M3/MY from the start so there really isn't a direct comparison available as MS/MX use 18650 still. Any comments on range or efficiency are solely based on computer models and volumetric calculations with no actual real world comparison. The switch to 4680 within an existing product will be a first for Tesla and allow this direct real world comparison.

Those long term contracts mean Tesla has to choose between a split MY product lineup (some 2170 some 4680, more trims) or leave 2170 for M3 LR and 4680 for MY LR and then the sedan and SUV will have the same range.

If the 4680 car comes with a nice increase in range then I will do the same.

The other possibility is that they keep the range the same as the 2170 cars so they can increase profit margin. In that case I will keep the car I have until the warranty expires.
You all are making my 2020 April build Model Y feel so vintage.

Status
Not open for further replies.