Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprisingly Joe skips the parking lot area where new Model Ys have been collecting.
That’s very misleading.

There’s an employee parking lot with level 2 chargers that has had a number of model ys and other EVs in it.

The other night it happened to have 7-10 similar MYLR vehicles that seemed very suspicious and could have been without any direct proof Austin built Model Ys.

To say they have been “collecting” new Model Ys is no where near backed up by anything.

Jeff Roberts covers the area where previous new Model Y's appeared (from Fremont?), at 3:10 and 9:25. No zoom in. Best view is at 9:25.
1642648971489.png

Last edited:
If they were all MY's I would feel good about them being Austin made but there are some M3s sprinkled in. Hopefully we know more by the end of the week.

Correct. It is a strange mix. If they were all Austin's, this would assume the paint shop is spitting out only several of each color, which wouldn't make much sense to change out for just a few of each. And some of them, at right, and again at upper left, aren't even Teslas.

I’ve had a Model Y LR on order since October and a couple weeks ago until this past weekend the EDD has been a consistent 1/19 - 1/28, so I figured delivery was imminent. On Sunday it suddenly changed to 2/5 - 3/5 and has been this all week. I know EDD fluctuation is nothing unusual with Tesla as I've already experienced it with my M3 order, but typically when it narrows to within 10 days it usually means you're about to receive a VIN. I live in Texas and am now wondering if I along with other Texas and surrounding area reservation holders were pushed back because a MY produced in Austin makes more sense logistically for Tesla if production is really about to begin. It sort of all adds up, but I hope I'm wrong I just want my MY asap.

I’ve had a Model Y LR on order since October and a couple weeks ago until this past weekend the EDD has been a consistent 1/19 - 1/28, so I figured delivery was imminent. On Sunday it suddenly changed to 2/5 - 3/5 and has been this all week. I know EDD fluctuation is nothing unusual with Tesla as I've already experienced it with my M3 order, but typically when it narrows to within 10 days it usually means you're about to receive a VIN. I live in Texas and am now wondering if I along with other Texas and surrounding area reservation holders were pushed back because a MY produced in Austin makes more sense logistically for Tesla if production is really about to begin. It sort of all adds up, but I hope I'm wrong I just want my MY asap.
Isn't there some Texan law about not being able to purchase cars made in Texas, in Texas?

Isn't there some Texan law about not being able to purchase cars made in Texas, in Texas?
Yeah. Tesla would literally need to ship them to a holding ground in a neighboring state and then transport them back to Texas for us to purchase them. The most ridiculous nonsense ever, we have our great compromised state lawmakers to thank for that. I'd imagine transport costs would still be cheaper for them however.

Just so you know, I had a similar EDD 2/3 - 3/2 and have had one on order since 8/18 (PC same day, no holds). I have had a lot of different EDD configurations. The only thing one can say is, "There is no rhyme or reason to any of this".

My LR Model Y EDD went from 1/29-2/11 to 2/3-3/2. Just speculating, but is it possible Fremont is stopping MY production for a week or two to retool and transition to the new Model Y with the 4680 SNP?? This would avoid having the complication and possible customer frustration of distributing two separate MY versions, depending on the manufacturing plant of origin?

My LR Model Y EDD went from 1/29-2/11 to 2/3-3/2. Just speculating, but is it possible Fremont is stopping MY production for a week or two to retool and transition to the new Model Y with the 4680 SNP?? This would avoid having the complication and possible customer frustration of distributing two separate MY versions, depending on the manufacturing plant of origin?
Sorry new user and typo, meant to type SBP (Structural Battery Pack), not SNP

Sorry new user and typo, meant to type SBP (Structural Battery Pack), not SNP
That would be great, but not very likely. The change to Structural Battery Pack requires change to giga casting. It's not likely can be done in just 2 weeks and so far I don't see reports of major changes at Fremont. I would love to be wrong on that one.

On 8/26/21 Tesla filed papers with the city of Fremont, CA to expand Model Y production at the Fremont Plant. It’s possible the change-over to the the 4680 platform has been already underway for months at Fremont and they’ve been targeting the Giga Texas production delivery roll-out. Next week’s Q4 Earnings Call might provide more clarification on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.