Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Giga Texas Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be great, but not very likely. The change to Structural Battery Pack requires change to giga casting. It's not likely can be done in just 2 weeks and so far I don't see reports of major changes at Fremont. I would love to be wrong on that one.
Fremont was producing Model Y Front Megacasts in May 2021, so they're producing at least 2 out of the 3 major vehicle chassis components (Tesla starts producing Model Y front megacasts in the Fremont Factory). My guess, to help keep the weight down, is the structural battery pack is not an aluminum die casting, but either a lightweight reinforced sheet metal stamping or some other non-metallic formed material.

Fremont was producing Model Y Front Megacasts in May 2021, so they're producing at least 2 out of the 3 major vehicle chassis components (Tesla starts producing Model Y front megacasts in the Fremont Factory). My guess, to help keep the weight down, is the structural battery pack is not an aluminum die casting, but either a lightweight reinforced sheet metal stamping or some other non-metallic formed material.
Current Ys produced out of Fremont do not have front megacast, correct?

From Q4'2021 earnings report:
Quote:
Builds of Model Ys started in late 2021 at Gigafactory Texas. After final certification of Austin-made Model Y, we plan to start deliveries to customers.

Fremont factory achieved record production in 2021. We believe there is potential to extend overall capacity beyond 600,000 per year. We aim to maximize output from our Fremont factory while ramping new factories.

From Q4'2021 earnings report:
Quote:
Builds of Model Ys started in late 2021 at Gigafactory Texas. After final certification of Austin-made Model Y, we plan to start deliveries to customers.

Fremont factory achieved record production in 2021. We believe there is potential to extend overall capacity beyond 600,000 per year. We aim to maximize output from our Fremont factory while ramping new factories.
What does that mean?? When is final certification expected? This is only going to continue our speculation, and we will not know until they are shipped to customers.

Yes. Looks like some dreams do come true
My rant:

Here is the problem. What will Fremont do??? Elon answered NOTHING. The big questions remain. 4680 MY specs. Will there be 2 different Model Y? It all sounds to me like Tesla is toying with the idea "F the customers" "we sell them all we want, and they will take it no matter what". I start to be increasingly skeptical ahead of my MY April delivery. I test drove the MYLR last weekend and I don't like it as much anymore. It was driving just okay, some elements look a lot cheaper than on my Model 3, the mirrors are of a terribly bad design, and there was a strong booming low-f noise when driving. I'm afraid I let $250 fee go if Tesla can't give me more some fresh convincing arguments why I need to spend $60k+ on a car.

Last edited by a moderator:
My rant:

Here is the problem. What will Fremont do??? Elon answered NOTHING. The big questions remain. 4680 MY specs. Will there be 2 different Model Y? It all sounds to me like Tesla is toying with the idea "F the customers" "we sell them all we want, and they will take it no matter what". I start to be increasingly skeptical ahead of my MY April delivery. I test drove the MYLR last weekend and I don't like it as much anymore. It was driving just okay, some elements look a lot cheaper than on my Model 3, the mirrors are of a terribly bad design, and there was a strong booming low-f noise when driving. I'm afraid I let $250 fee go if Tesla can't give me more some fresh convincing arguments why I need to spend $60k+ on a car when Brandon f...up the rebate law.
My guess is that Fremont will continue with 2170 for the time being and will shut down temporarily in q2 after Texas launched to switch to 4680 production.

Reactions: Cyberspeed
My guess is that Fremont will continue with 2170 for the time being and will shut down temporarily in q2 after Texas launched to switch to 4680 production.
I completely agree, during the Q4 Earning Call it almost sounded like they are working through possible production issues, or at least refining the 4680 production line? If this is the case it's best to maintain the fully-functioning Fremont Model Y 2170 line until Austin ramps up and there are no questions about product quality and build efficiency. Just guessing and reading between the lines. I wished someone would have asked these questions during the Q&A. BTW, I'm already feeling better about the Fremont built 2170 LR Model Y I am picking up in two weeks.

Reactions: Rennei
I completely agree, during the Q4 Earning Call it almost sounded like they are working through possible production issues, or at least refining the 4680 production line? If this is the case it's best to maintain the fully-functioning Fremont Model Y 2170 line until Austin ramps up and there are no questions about product quality and build efficiency. Just guessing and reading between the lines. I wished someone would have asked these questions during the Q&A. BTW, I'm already feeling better about the Fremont built 2170 LR Model Y I am picking up in two weeks.
Still an awesome car. Congrats!

Reactions: Shaffer2022
My rant:

Here is the problem. What will Fremont do??? Elon answered NOTHING. The big questions remain. 4680 MY specs. Will there be 2 different Model Y? It all sounds to me like Tesla is toying with the idea "F the customers" "we sell them all we want, and they will take it no matter what". I start to be increasingly skeptical ahead of my MY April delivery. I test drove the MYLR last weekend and I don't like it as much anymore. It was driving just okay, some elements look a lot cheaper than on my Model 3, the mirrors are of a terribly bad design, and there was a strong booming low-f noise when driving. I'm afraid I let $250 fee go if Tesla can't give me more some fresh convincing arguments why I need to spend $60k+ on a car.
I think the issue is the tire noise. It seems to be much quieter on smoother asphalt. The pavement seems to make a huge difference. The goodyear tire is not very good in the noise department. Seems quieter at 80mph on smooth highway than 25 on crap road.

I think the issue is the tire noise. It seems to be much quieter on smoother asphalt. The pavement seems to make a huge difference. The goodyear tire is not very good in the noise department. Seems quieter at 80mph on smooth highway than 25 on crap road.
An idea to tweet to Elon, on the toyota Camry and other models they actually use some type of carpet like material in between the fender wells, this is the same carpet that is used on the inside of the car, except its a bit more rigid, this actually helps muffle some of the road noise. Tesla has nothing like this and perhaps could be a "running change" that shouldnt affect production. The idea works, I had a camry and drove a newer corolla without those options and the noise difference is night and day.

Reactions: brad787 and Daekwan
While I I agree that this is a good plan for Tesla, it likely takes longer for Austin to reach full production to take the load from Fremont. Shanghai took a while to reach current productivity.

Given they are chip-supply limited, I don't see the rush.

Get Texas going, prove in the newer-more-efficient manufacturing at small volume. Install 4680 cells sufficient to match existing range - most customers simply will not care if the 330 mile range came from bigger or smaller batteries inside the pack.

Keep running Fremont at whatever scale the available chips supply supports.

As Texas ramps up and can cover some of Fremont output, perform tactical upgrades to Freemont to match Texas.

If chip supply improves, run both plants at full speed. If chips are short, this gives room for re-working what Freemont is doing.

When both plants are 4680, consider a revision to increase range if that's important to the company for competitive reasons.

An idea to tweet to Elon, on the toyota Camry and other models they actually use some type of carpet like material in between the fender wells, this is the same carpet that is used on the inside of the car, except its a bit more rigid, this actually helps muffle some of the road noise. Tesla has nothing like this and perhaps could be a "running change" that shouldnt affect production. The idea works, I had a camry and drove a newer corolla without those options and the noise difference is night and day.
There are some third party options for this, but you are correct, it would be really good if it was implemented in the design.

Status
Not open for further replies.